Netflix and HDR

Stevo985

I might start a new thread for this, but has anyone noticed a problem with HDR content on Netflix?

When I've watched Stranger Things and Mindhunter, both HDR content on Netflix. For any scenes that were remotely dark, my TV would spend the entire time adjusting the brightness automatically. It was really offputting.

I put it down to my TV, which was annoying as it's a pretty **** good one, but it's not OLED. I concluded that OLED TVs wouldn't have that problem.

However, having spoken to my cousin ( @MadManMarcus) he said he's noticed the same thing. Again only on Netflix HDR content. And he does have an OLED TV.

Anyone else noticed that?

I've not seen my TV do that with any other content on any platform. Literally just those two shows. Anything in HD or 4K on Netflix is perfect. It's just these two that were specifically marked HDR

(My TV is an HDR TV for the record)

Do you have dynamic lighting or dynamic contrast enabled or Smart LED enabled?

If there's anything dynamic in the menus then turn them off. I find that works best. I hate seeing the TV auto adjust things on the fly. Drives me insane. 

Edited by PieFacE

On 02/12/2017 at 09:26, PieFacE said:

Do you have dynamic lighting or dynamic contrast enabled or Smart LED enabled?

If there's anything dynamic in the menus then turn them off. I find that works best. I hate seeing the TV auto adjust things on the fly. Drives me insane. 

Yep I had auto contrast or something turned on.

I turned that off. That solved the problem of it constantly adjusting, but the contrast it set it at was completely wrong. It had that really milky colour to all the blacks. it looked shit and when I tried to manually adjust stuff to get it right I couldn't get it anywhere near right. 

12 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

Tried following a Avforums calibration settings guide?

Nope. But my TV is perfect on everything else. So I don't particularly want to go to all that effort to reclaibrate it all when I'm fairly sure it's a Netflix issue, not a TV issue.

12 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Nope. But my TV is perfect on everything else. So I don't particularly want to go to all that effort to reclaibrate it all when I'm fairly sure it's a Netflix issue, not a TV issue.

It's probably an issue with how our TV handles HDR content. Unless it does the same thing on Netflix for non-HDR viewing?

41 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

It's probably an issue with how our TV handles HDR content. Unless it does the same thing on Netflix for non-HDR viewing?

It doesn't do it on any other content apart from Netflix HDR content. 

Non Netflix HDR is fine. Netflix 4K/HD/UHD/SD content all fine.

Like I said in the OP, I was accepting it was a problem with my TV originally. I assumed that as my TV was LED and not OLED it might have something to do with that.

But my cousin told me he'd seen the exact same thing. And his TV is a 2 grand OLED TV.

On 03/12/2017 at 20:54, Stevo985 said:

Most HDR TV’s have HDR specific settings that can be tweaked so that it does not affect SDR settings.

Settings can also be different in specific inputs so might be worth trying some ‘best setting’ guides.

• Like 1

• 10 months later...

Still never found a solution to this. Watching The Haunting of Hill House which is HDR on netflix with lots of dark scenes and noticing the same problem. It's like watching the show in a deep fog half the time.

Does anyone know if it's possible to choose specific formats on netflix? I can't seem to find an answer.
So I could choose a non-HDR version of a show to watch instead of the HDR version? Or turn HDR off on Netflix in general?

Â