• Onomah
    • Davis
    • Lansbury
    • Grealish
    • Elmohamady
  2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 08/12/17 at 21:45

1 minute ago, OutByEaster? said:

Good point - credit to the manager that we're able to win points like this despite some big weaknesses - you could also point the finger him for the weaknesses, but I thought that we did well to get a point today given that we're struggling to deal with crosses and we don't pass the ball well. We battled and were committed and worked hard - we're the best team without the ball in this division.

We are decent off the ball defensively, but offensively pants....no running off the ball so the player in possession gets closed down too easily.

Irrespective of the style of play, which was again somewhat incoherent, particularly in the first half, the one thing which is clearly there in spades now, is a team spirit and togetherness we've not seen for years. 

For me, that shouldn't be underestimated and its clearly just as important, if not more so, than the fluent football we all want to see. 

Perhaps that is still to come, resilience is certainly a useful building block for all sorts of progress and another very pleasing thing these days is watching and not assuming it's over just because we've gone behind.

Well done Villa.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, NurembergVillan said:

Might be an unpopular opinion but I thought we did well tonight.

I'd have taken a point against Leeds team getting back into form, and at Elland Road where the fans will always be up for a game against us.

There was a clear improvement in the second half, and obviously more so after the subs.  Leeds offered nothing in the second half.

Whelan did really well, but I picked Chester as MotM.  I thought he looked calm and marshalled the defence well, stepping up to the plate without Terry.

Davis looks knackered.  We've got to be more solid from set pieces delivered to the near post.

Performances like this at places like Elland Road get teams promoted.

I think that sums it up very well, have my first like on this forum, good sir! :D

It was a pretty dire first half from us, and I was slightly puzzled when Lansbury was brought on, but fair decision by Bruce, and good work from Lansbury himself - it paid off! Grealish, as he always does, drew a lot of fouls, which is always good for breaking up the opposition's play and tempo (although Leeds really didn't offer much at all in the second half).

Still, a decent result at one of the most difficult places in this league to go to! :) Now let's hammer Millwall! :D

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Cjay said:

Saiz was poor today, worst performance for us, you handled him well, Alioski was hard working as usual but again handled pretty well.

That's kind of what we're about - our first priority is to stop you playing then we look to see if we can snatch something off a set piece or a mistake - it can be frustrating, but it's effective for Bruce. 

I would have taken a point before the game, so it was a welcome point.....amidst the comedy of errors.

I think automatic promotion may be bridge too far, unless we can show more guile with the ball.

so much low quality play tonight.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, poitier said:

Looked like two poor teams. We did well to come away with a point after that performance, but I don't really take a lot of positives from tonight's game.

There are some. Our defending is generally excellent, and I think Grealish is showing signs of being the player we all want him to be. Lansbury returning with a goal is very welcome news, with Hourihane looking like he needs a rest. 

I have never shied away from criticising Steve Bruce’s Aston Villa, so if I can find positives, I’m sure you can too ;) 

4 minutes ago, Cjay said:

Am i allowed to post in here :D

Poor game, scrappy and meh. 

We dominated the 1st half totally, wasnt even close and i felt we would go on to win.

2nd half was poor from us, you were the better side, although bar the goal there wasnt many chances for either side, we had the one flash across the goal that a few missed and the rightly disallowed goal. 

Saiz was poor today, worst performance for us, you handled him well, Alioski was hard working as usual but again handled pretty well. 

We missed Pablo when he went off, Roofe isnt the same class. 

Draw was a fair result on balance, although frustrated with the one across goal, the Cooper header and the disallowed goal (rightly so). 

Not a good game, but a point i would have taken before the game so not to disappointed.  

Sorry, but that was poor from us.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

That's kind of what we're about - our first priority is to stop you playing then we look to see if we can snatch something off a set piece or a mistake - it can be frustrating, but it's effective for Bruce. 

It worked, you handled him very well.

Didnt see much creativity from you in all honesty, bar the goal. But you shut down our 2 best players. 

Thought the commentators were dire this evening. Couldn't help but laud Leeds because they had more possession in first half but other than the goal and a decent cross in they had zero chances. We never have lots of possessions but had two good chances in Whelan and Adomah. 

Always going to be a tight game, draw a fair result. We didn't play great, we rarely do but got a decent result which of late we usually do. 

@NurembergVillan you deserve all the likes you'll end up getting. Spot on summary. I went for Whelan MOTM but Chester was excellent. Players like Chester never get big awards but I find it hard to believe there is a more consistency excellent player in the league than him. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Played awfully, got a point. Much like when we've played awfully and lost and when when we've played awfully and won. Very few games where we've played well. 

But it's all about the results. A point is ok, we're very much on target for Playoffs and no better. We struggle against any organised teams.

6 minutes ago, TRO said:

Sorry, but that was poor from us.

Improved second half but there were very few real chances created

Probably frustrating for you, draw was fair as we were poor second half, but frustrating because i think we should have won (not sure if that makes sense)

Edited by Cjay
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Xela said:

Good result. Delighted to see we turned it around in the second half and a deserved point. 

Scrappy ....good turn around to salvage a point.

feel totally beaten up by frustration, watching that....decent result, poor,poor, performance.

something has to happen on the performance side if we are to have any aspirations....the ball control at times is beyond belief.

1 minute ago, Cjay said:

Improved second half but there were very few real chances created

Probably frustrating for you, draw was fair as we were poor second half, but frustrating because i think we should have won (not sure if that makes sense)

It won't be popular but i think you shaded it all in all.

I think the way we played, you should have strolled it.

• Like 1

Â