Pre-Match Thread

Raver50032

Alioski seems to be at the heart of most of their attacking play, he’s quick and a good passer and scored a decent goal against Barnsley. They’re a quick side that seem to play pretty high tempo football. I would say that our side may struggle with the pace of their attackers. If we can match their speed with our defensive resolve then we have a good chance, I think Alioski needs to be marked out of the game and then their attacking threat will be somewhat reduced.

Would be OK with a point, but we really should be able to take all 3.  Leeds home form is pretty shabby and our away form pretty good.

Hitting third and putting pressure on Sheffield before their visit to Millwall would be great.

I think leeds are actually weaker than last year, certainly from a balance point of view. The Janson and Bartley partnership was probably the best in the division, complemented each other well. Janson doesn't look at it this year, could be motivation wayning too. Taylor was a big loss too. I'd be surprised and disappointed if they overran us in midfield.  They're light there and again surprised they sold bridcutt. They are more high tempo under christiansen but weak defensively. Under monk they were difficult to beat but probably not as much creative flair as now. We can 100% get at them.

On a side note and a minor rant how annoying is it to see clubs wearing they're away jerseys for away games always these days when there is absolutely no clash . Villa will wear all black Friday evening.  Only reason we wore claret and blue last season at Elland Road is because our away strip was white. In the 90s clubs would have to have very similar colours for one to change.  

• Like 4

47 minutes ago, Johnnyp said:

On a side note and a minor rant how annoying is it to see clubs wearing they're away jerseys for away games always these days when there is absolutely no clash . Villa will wear all black Friday evening.  Only reason we wore claret and blue last season at Elland Road is because our away strip was white. In the 90s clubs would have to have very similar colours for one to change.  

2 hours ago, Johnnyp said:

On a side note and a minor rant how annoying is it to see clubs wearing they're away jerseys for away games always these days when there is absolutely no clash . 

It's in the contract. All clubs  (and countries) have to wear the away kit a certain amount of times. Its the same in Rugby and other sports too. 

On 27/11/2017 at 14:42, BOF said:

I land in Dublin airport @ 19:05 on Friday :rant: So it'll be some slick manouvering to get to see this from the start (I'm not hanging around the airport all evening).

So what do we know about this Leeds side from a statistics point of view.

They're midtable when it comes to possession.  They're midtable in pass percentage.  They've the 5th worst discipline in the league (we're 2nd best).  They're midtable in tackles.  I'm trying to find something that they do an inordinate amount of times that makes them stand out in one area or another, and there really isn't anything.  They're pretty much mediocre in most category and less than that in the rest.  I suppose they've a good home defence although everyone in the top half bar Cardiff are within a goal or 2 of each other.  If we can play our game, have one of our 'on' days and avoid any silly mistakes to gift them an opener then I think we could win this one.

So far this season when we've scored 1st away from home we have a 100% record (Barnsley, Burton, Preston).  Let's keep that up.

There’s a Villa pub in the city you could watch it in, failing that a taxi into town would see you perched up somewhere within 25mins. 

Heading over to this one, early flight to Leeds on Friday. 

Think I would take a draw right if you gave it to me but a win would really open a gap on one of our rivals. 

Good to keep this momentum going without Terry. The sooner he comes back the better. 

• Like 1

Just now, Dirtysanchez said:

There’s a Villa pub in the city you could watch it in, failing that a taxi into town would see you perched up somewhere within 25mins.

I haven't been in to Buskers in a while now as they were having trouble with their feed since the start of the season.  But as it's on Sky it'll be on everywhere.  I'll hopefully get a lift and be on my own couch in time :D 

Toughest game of our "tough run" IMO.

Elland Road is always a hard atmosphere to play in and Alioski and Saiz look like quality players.   Their movement, along with the craft of Hernandez, will cause us problems.  It's a big marker as to how far we'll have come.  Win, and I'll be pretty convinced about automatic promotion this season.

9 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I haven't seen them all season but my mate who's a Leeds fan thanks at times this season it's the best Leeds team he has ever seen in this league. He does just doesn't understand the inconsistency.

Hmm I dispute that as the Leeds side last season was actually excellent they just ran out of steam towards the end of the season 

5 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Hmm I dispute that as the Leeds side last season was actually excellent they just ran out of steam towards the end of the season 

Yeh he says that every season to be fair. It's probably what happens when you spend so long in the league. Every year is 'the one'.

Hope that never happens to us.  

12 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Yeh he says that every season to be fair. It's probably what happens when you spend so long in the league. Every year is 'the one'.

Hope that never happens to us.  

Yeah thats the big worry, we could easily be like them and forest. i think difference is with us we stuck with Bruce when we hit that rocky patch despite bruce being under severe pressure, Xia could have pulled the trigger but stuck by him. Dhows now was correct decision 

1 minute ago, Demitri_C said:

Yeah thats the big worry, we could easily be like them and forest. i think difference is with us we stuck with Bruce when we hit that rocky patch despite bruce being under severe pressure, Xia could have pulled the trigger but stuck by him. Dhows now was correct decision 

Only time will tell if correct decision my friend. 

Back on topic I think we'll edge this 1-0. They will have most the ball but not create much. We'll get a scrappy goal and then fight for the win. 

2 hours ago, mjmooney said:

We'll lose, quite possibly very heavily. 

4-0 Leeds. 

What on earth makes you think this?  Of course it might happen and you can make a tidy sum if you're right - 90-1 for that - but literally nothing indicates that is a likely result.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, rubberman said:

What on earth makes you think this?  Of course it might happen and you can make a tidy sum if you're right - 90-1 for that - but literally nothing indicates that is a likely result.

Gut feeling. We can't keep getting away with having Samba at the back. We can't keep relying on Adomah to get the goals. I'm not convinced that the side is robust enough if we go behind. 

And it's due. 

• Like 1