Pre Match Chitty Chatty

TheAuthority

Anyone watch Ipswich last night? They look poor at the back but they have some good players going forward. They love a diagonal ball to start their attacks and they like to get it out wide a lot. That is where their danger men are. Waghorn can also be a handful. 

1 minute ago, omariqy said:

Anyone watch Ipswich last night? They look poor at the back but they have some good players going forward. They love a diagonal ball to start their attacks and they like to get it out wide a lot. That is where their danger men are. Waghorn can also be a handful. 

Yeah if we see the Davis of Saturday Ipswich back line could have  a busy afternoon. going to need a lot of defensive support from snodds and albert in this one.

Hopefully Davis is back to his best Saturday as we have  a bit of a break after Saturday with no midweek game before Friday against Leeds which is going to be a tough game

Pragmatic Mick the Prick will come to shut us down.  He'll play anti-football.  They average less possession than we do per game, but despite being quite shot-shy in 21st place they've scored the 3rd highest amount of goals in the league this season !!  That's bizarre.  Unsurprisingly they've scored the most amount of set pieces in the league (9 with no penalties) and shock horror they have the most amount of long balls per game of any team.  Their pass% is consequently very low as a result.  This won't be pretty, but if we can handle the long ball onslaught we can get at them because they're not great at the back.  They pretty much rely on you score we score to get results.

Oh and FWIW the ref is one Tony Harrington.  We haven't had him yet this season.  He presided over a win (2-0@Wigan), a draw (0-0@Ipswich) & a loss (0-1@Wolves) last season.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Nigel said:

If Ipswich are as poor at keeping possession as we are where is the ball going to go?

Flying over the midfielders heads fairly frequently, with some going in to touch for throw ins for good measure. It’s going to be 90 minutes of hot potato. 

As long as we win I don’t care, I think Bruce has been more successful at hot potato over the years against one of his nearest competitors, in Mick McCarthy. 

• Haha 1

45 minutes ago, VILLAMARV said:

With Derby and Middlesbrough playing each other this weekend a win here would create a little gap between us and 7th of about 5/6 points regardless of the other results.

Yeah but I stole Bruces Kebab last night and he‘s still p*ss*d off about it

Nervous about this one.  Worried we'll see an unchanged side and fatigue / injuries as per Sheff Weds.  That said Ipswich aren't great, but I don't want them to mug us off like last season. 

#csb....Last year I came up to the game from down south and had planned to meet an old school friend from Ipswich.  We hadn't seen each other for over 30 years, but had been in touch via facebook.  We were meeting in the pub early to have a catch up before the game.  I arrived and checked in with him - apparently stuck in traffic on the M6.  Waited a bit longer.  And longer.  Then radio silence.  Game time arrived so I watched the (shit) game, a bit pissed from having been in the pub on my own all afternoon.  Hung around for a bit after - more texts etc - but nothing, so ended up going home.

So not great memories from that game.  Let's smash them.

48 minutes ago, rubberman said:

Nervous about this one.  Worried we'll see an unchanged side and fatigue / injuries as per Sheff Weds.  That said Ipswich aren't great, but I don't want them to mug us off like last season. 

#csb....Last year I came up to the game from down south and had planned to meet an old school friend from Ipswich.  We hadn't seen each other for over 30 years, but had been in touch via facebook.  We were meeting in the pub early to have a catch up before the game.  I arrived and checked in with him - apparently stuck in traffic on the M6.  Waited a bit longer.  And longer.  Then radio silence.  Game time arrived so I watched the (shit) game, a bit pissed from having been in the pub on my own all afternoon.  Hung around for a bit after - more texts etc - but nothing, so ended up going home.

raw

• Haha 2

52 minutes ago, rubberman said:

Jesus. This sounds like it could turn into a 'This American Life' series. 

Have you heard from him since?

• Like 1

Just now, One For The Road said:

Worried that this will be a game too far for our patched up side. We need the January window desperately. Finishing the Sunderland game with Elmohammady up front was proof of how limited we are up front.

Also, can Samba manage 3 games in a week? Guess we will find out.

It's up to Bruce surely? We've options all over. Jedinak, Lansbury, Grealish, O'Hare, Elmo, De Laet. Even Birkir. All sat twiddling their thumbs. 

Yes the lack of striking options is not ideal and we need to find a solution, but I am not accepting lack of squad depth as an excuse right now. 

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

It's up to Bruce surely? We've options all over. Jedinak, Lansbury, Grealish, O'Hare, Elmo, De Laet. Even Birkir. All sat twiddling their thumbs. 

Yes the lack of striking options is not ideal and we need to find a solution, but I am not accepting lack of squad depth as an excuse right now. 

The trouble is, none of those you listed are a replacement for JK or even Hogan. I think we are lightweight in the extreme when it comes to forwards and thats inexcusable given what we have spent. 

Thisis also why I have said for ages that our squad, overall, isn't as good as people think.

Edited by One For The Road

15 minutes ago, One For The Road said:

The trouble is, none of those you listed are a replacement for JK or even Hogan. I think we are lightweight in the extreme when it comes to forwards and thats inexcusable given what we have spent. 

Thisis also why I have said for ages that our squad, overall, isn't as good as people think.

To be fair losing three strikers to long term injury is **** poor luck. I mean ok, you can plan for as many eventualities as you like but at some point you have to put a lid on it. It's totally excusable, IMO. 

I might be clutching at straws here but we could play Adomah there for a game. I really don't think that *should* cause us to skip too much of a beat. This is where teams, and managers, earn their crust. Dealing with adversity. 

Which reminds me that we also lost Green for a long old while. RHM can't seem to stay fit either. There isn't a team in history that hasn't gone through a 'crisis' of some sort. 

Steve Bruce has to make it work. Till Jan at least. 

Edited by dont_do_it_doug.

8 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

To be fair losing three strikers to long term injury is **** poor luck. I mean ok, you can plan for as many eventualities as you like but at some point you have to put a lid on it. It's totally excusable, IMO. 

I might be clutching at straws here but we could play Adomah there for a game. I really don't think that *should* cause us to skip too much of a beat. This is where teams, and managers, earn their crust. Dealing with adversity. 

Which reminds me that we also lost Green for a long old while. RHM can't seem to stay fit either. There isn't a team in history that hasn't gone through a 'crisis' of some sort. 

Steve Bruce has to make it work. Till Jan at least. 

I think Adomah looked knackered in the second half on Tuesday so I think he may struggle a bit tomorrow.

Also, I'd argue that JK is he only real striker at the club and so that's why his injury has cost us so badly.

Gabby is past it and has never really been a clinical striker as such, Hogan is a forward but not a striker imho and I don't know what Davis is but he certainly doesn't appear to be a goalscorer.