Tom Bates

briny_ear

8 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I alway find these presentations and speeches can go 2 ways in the workplace (I appriecate footballers are a lot more privileged than the average worker but stay with me). 

You can either feel patronised and think 'what a tosser' or you can take on board what is being said and the impact it has had on the  person presenting and their life. On how you can achieve the same.

In my opinion positive attitude, confidence and belief is absolutely massive in all walks of life and probably even more so in sport. 

I wonder if the club is going beyond presentations from the owner to looking at sports pyschologists, motivational speakers etc etc. There's a place for all of this in the modern game. 

Last thing I heard was we had appointed a guy called Tom Bates whose jpob title is Head of Performance Psychology & Culture.

He was recruited from Brentford halfway through last season, although he had previously been with West Brom and SHA.

He was recruited by Villatalk's favourite whipping boy, current scapegoat No.2 and designated dinosaur No. 3 (I guess, after Bruce and Wyness) - Steve Round.

Here's an article about the appointment

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/aston-villa-steve-bruce-psychology-13280256

These are the kind of pep talks Aston Villa players receive

Aston Villa's sports psychologist Tom Bates explains that "confidence is power"

•  
  • By
Kieran Doody
  • 18:52, 16 JUL 2017

4221396001_5491970806001_5491970349001-vs.jpg?pubId=4221396001&videoId=5491970349001
Video Loading

Aston Villa's sport psychologist Tom Bates explains how "confidence is key" for elite performance

Aston Villa's sports psychologist Tom Bates has given an insight into the pep talks Steve Bruce's squad receive.

Bates was recruited from Villa's Championship rivals Brentford in November after spells working for Birmingham City and West Bromwich Albion.

Away from Villa, Bates delivers seminars across the world and has a regular spot on FourFourTwo's performance series .

In the video above, courtesy of FourFourTwo , Bates explains how "confidence is power."

"Confidence can make the difference and can be the difference between me performing at my very best and performing ok, averagely," he says.

"Confidence is a choice, it's an attitude and like attitude my confidence levels depend upon the way I think feel and believe about myself.

"If I wake up and believe today's going to be a good day it's likely that I'll be right.

"If I wake up and think that today's not going to be a good day it's likely that I'll be right, you know.

"Whether you think you can or you can't you'll be right."

Bates works closely with manager Bruce, his backroom staff and the players and will be tasked with instilling a positive mentality as Villa challenge for Championship promotion.

Speaking after Bates' arrival midway through last season, director of football Steve Round said: "Sports psychology and culture is massive now in modern elite sports.

"I did a search nationwide to find the best sports psychologist/performance coach that I could.

"It happened to be Tom - he had worked at West Brom, Bournemouth, Birmingham and he was currently at Brentford so I was really pleased to get him.

"He's had a massive impact. Not only with the players individually but just the resonance of the training ground - that was important. Confidence is building."

• 3 weeks later...
On 21/11/2017 at 19:44, briny_ear said:

Last thing I heard was we had appointed a guy called Tom Bates whose jpob title is Head of Performance Psychology & Culture.

He was recruited from Brentford halfway through last season, although he had previously been with West Brom and SHA.

He was recruited by Villatalk's favourite whipping boy, current scapegoat No.2 and designated dinosaur No. 3 (I guess, after Bruce and Wyness) - Steve Round.

Here's an article about the appointment

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/aston-villa-steve-bruce-psychology-13280256

I saw him give a talk at my kids school, he gave out the awards at the sports achievement awards ceremony. 

He was a very good speaker and highly motivational.  I did think about asking my employer to consider getting him in for a motivational talk to the staff, but then realised that's all a lot of blolllox and wastes everyone's precious time. 

Â