• Onomah
    • Davis
    • Jedinak (Whelan 63)
    • Grealish (Davis 75)
    • Elmohamady (Adomah 87)
  2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 25/11/17 at 15:00

47 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

To play poor and win is not necessarily a good sign . We just got lucky tonight ,and luck is in my experience invariably inconsistent. 

This is getting ridiculous.

We weren't "lucky" tonight in any sense of the word.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, osmark86 said:

I'm actually kind of glad we didn't move out of second gear. We have an injury crisis and exhausted players tend to succumb to injury more. We can't afford more injuries imo and we need the energy in the players we start. We did enough to win and no more. I thought that was perfect.

Don't you mean first gear.?

for the quality we have on bench, Im still surprised there was no change to the line up. Was the perfect opportunity to give a few a rest (bar the CB's and Davis)

Elmo, Lansbury, Grealish, Jedinak, De Laet and Bjorn...   that's a very strong bench for the Championship (all bar 1 and ill let you decide which one that is that)

With a new manager, the stage was set for Sunderland to cause an upset last night. We stopped that happening, kept it professional and brought home three points. I couldn’t be happier, especially with Preston helping us out also. Classic performance? No. Effective? Yes. We played well and won against QPR. We played less well and won against Sunderland. That sort of stuff gets teams promoted. Onwards. 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, osmark86 said:

I'm actually kind of glad we didn't move out of second gear. We have an injury crisis and exhausted players tend to succumb to injury more. We can't afford more injuries imo and we need the energy in the players we start. We did enough to win and no more. I thought that was perfect.

Thats why we have a squad. Several players looked a bit jaded yesterday and lacked energy and intensity, clearly its due time for some rotation. But Bruce thinks you cant change a winning team so look out for the same starting 11 on sat... 

6 hours ago, sheepyvillian said:

To play poor and win is not necessarily a good sign . We just got lucky tonight ,and luck is in my experience invariably inconsistent. 

I don’t think we got lucky.

I agree with the consensus that we weren’t very good. 

But despite that we were incredibly comfortable all night. We were never going to lose that game. 

I also think we had another gear or two we could have stepped up if we were actually in trouble  

So I’m not sure I’d describe the game as lucky.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, sheepyvillian said:

We really did not get lucky. We were not great but we controlled the game. Sunderlands goal was lucky a mistake by Johnstone and some lax defending. Sunderland were just poor and benefited from us being very sloppy. If that was against better opposition we could have lost that game. But I certainly dont think it was lucky, just two bits of quality that lead to goals 

1 hour ago, GrassyNoel said:

With a new manager, the stage was set for Sunderland to cause an upset last night. We stopped that happening, kept it professional and brought home three points. I couldn’t be happier, especially with Preston helping us out also. Classic performance? No. Effective? Yes. We played well and won against QPR. We played less well and won against Sunderland. That sort of stuff gets teams promoted. Onwards. 

I totally agree, I was a little nervous we would be up against a Sunderland team willing to fight to the death to impress their new manager. The potential new manager bounce combined with our own mini injury crisis up front made me a little nervous. Davis is doing a great job, but I feel having to rely on him twice a week at his age is going to be too much for him, and would look to strengthen the strike force in January.

It would be lovely to smash every team on the way to promotion, but from what I have seen of the Championship so far it is a fairly even league where any team can beat another on any given day (see QPR v Wolves). It is a long, tough season and we are not even half way through yet, so we need to stay positive as a team and fans and realise that sometimes you have to battle and grind out the points, which in previous seasons we would most definitly not have done. I am happy with the three points, and we now move on to the next game against Ipswich which will be another tough game.

4 hours ago, trom_borg said:

Thats why we have a squad. Several players looked a bit jaded yesterday and lacked energy and intensity, clearly its due time for some rotation. But Bruce thinks you cant change a winning team so look out for the same starting 11 on sat... 

You also have to consider the spirit in the camp.

Its customary to reward a winning team with a shirt.

Just as an observation......I thought Lewis Grabban aquitted himself well playing on the shoulder of our back four.

I thought he had a goal in him all game.

not to be critical, but in contrast our 2 played much deeper and in my view made it harder for themselves.

if its a striker, we are looking for now, in Jan.....i would consider him.

Â