• Onomah
    • Davis
    • Jedinak (Whelan 63)
    • Grealish (Davis 75)
    • Elmohamady (Adomah 87)
  2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 25/11/17 at 15:00

5 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

We made hard work of it tonight and were way too casual. Had more than a handful of players gotten out of second gear we could have won it comfortably as Sunderland are a very poor side.

It is another three points though and that is the bottom the line. Bring on Saturday and hopefully another three.

I'm actually kind of glad we didn't move out of second gear. We have an injury crisis and exhausted players tend to succumb to injury more. We can't afford more injuries imo and we need the energy in the players we start. We did enough to win and no more. I thought that was perfect.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, rubberman said:

Now that's over and 3 in the bag, I do feel sorry for Sunderland fans.  It could so easily have been us pre-Tony. 1 win all season...that's dire.

Yeah I agree, feel for their fans. Their situation has been so similar to ours and it seems they've drawn the short straw.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, LakotaDakota said:

Ipswitch aren't axactly great. They won their first 4 games of the season but since then have been pretty shit & have lost 7 of the last 12 (including 4 defeats & a draw in the last 7).

They play Sheff Weds tomorrow & if they lose that will have taken 7 points from the last 8 games & have a days less recovery time than us.

Another home win on the way.

Did you see us tonight? We were awful, I don't fancy our chances I'df we perform like that

12 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

For your delectation and delight, I've analysed every aspect of our performance; tactics, workrate, individual performances, heat maps, opta stats, the lot - I've put all that together and produced a comprehensive list of all of the reasons we won tonight's game. I present it to you below:

• Sunderland

Thank you.

We were awful, pretty much from start to finish - we simply don't have much ability in passing the ball. We defend okay and we work hard off the ball, but the rest is down to hoping for mistakes and capitalising on them, or taking advantage of a set piece. 

That we have come away with a win is largely down to the state Sunderland are in. There should not be a Villa fan who looks at Sunderland tonight and doesn't feel more than a little sympathy, we recognise well this ride they are on and we are only now finding our way from it. They look like a team that lose games because they expect to lose games, no confidence, no luck, no belief; it's us from 18 months ago. They're a good club, with good fans and no business being on the edge of League 1, I hope to see them back in better health before too long.

The performance tonight suggests our recovery is some way from complete - stuttering and disjointed - the lowlight for me being the ten minutes toward the end where we had six midfielders on the pitch and struggled again and again and again to put three passes together. The only two moments of real quality we produced were both tackles by Alan Hutton. 

These are the performances that put the manager under pressure, we look like a team that don't trust passing football as an idea "get it down the flanks quick or bang it up to Keinan" would be the extent of our tactical discussion looking at tonights showing.

These are also the results that will help the manager further his aims, but like the chap from across town now out of work, you have to make damned sure you're getting those results if you're offering nothing else.

Close your eyes, cross your fingers, count the points and repeat after me; a win is a win is a win is a win is a win.

Absolutely spot on ^

if this continues but we still get promoted it will defy all sense of logic

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Daweii said:

Winning even when you're playing terribly is often a sign of a good team now I would rather us play well and spank teams, but at the end of the day the only thing that matters is the 3 points. 

5 points off 2nd place. 6 points off 1st assuming Wolves don't win tomorrow. 

Not meaning to be critical, of course you are right. But it’s Such an overused and distressing consolation.   The sign of an even better team is to not have a bunch of poor performances in the first place.   

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Did you see us tonight? We were awful, I don't fancy our chances I'df we perform like that

In the past 2 months ipswich have won 3 more games than sunderland have managed. 2 of the 3 were against sunderland & burton.

If we play with elphick & richards in defence & samba up front i would still expect to beat them

Reading had 61% posession against wolves and had 16 shots on goal, wolves won 2-0. In fact wolves in general seem to have far less of the ball than all of their opponents, often sustaining a great deal of pressure in every game yet somehow they keep scraping wins. The only game they have actually played well in and had more of the game recently is against us, nearly every other game they have less of the ball & fewer shots. Is anyone complaininng about them constantly?

Edited by LakotaDakota
  • Like 3

Leicester wasn't great when they won the premiership. We might get promoted, it's a good style in the championship we are playing. But we will go straight back down playing like this in the premiership. That's why folks after promotion we have to lose Bruce.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, GREAT_BEARD_OF_ZEUS said:

Taylor 5 - Looked scared first half and wtf was he doing just giving up on a ball in their box???  

He was off side, knew if he went for the ball he would get penalised.

2 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

For your delectation and delight, I've analysed every aspect of our performance; tactics, workrate, individual performances, heat maps, opta stats, the lot - I've put all that together and produced a comprehensive list of all of the reasons we won tonight's game. I present it to you below:

• Sunderland

Thank you.

We were awful, pretty much from start to finish - we simply don't have much ability in passing the ball. We defend okay and we work hard off the ball, but the rest is down to hoping for mistakes and capitalising on them, or taking advantage of a set piece. 

That we have come away with a win is largely down to the state Sunderland are in. There should not be a Villa fan who looks at Sunderland tonight and doesn't feel more than a little sympathy, we recognise well this ride they are on and we are only now finding our way from it. They look like a team that lose games because they expect to lose games, no confidence, no luck, no belief; it's us from 18 months ago. They're a good club, with good fans and no business being on the edge of League 1, I hope to see them back in better health before too long.

The performance tonight suggests our recovery is some way from complete - stuttering and disjointed - the lowlight for me being the ten minutes toward the end where we had six midfielders on the pitch and struggled again and again and again to put three passes together. The only two moments of real quality we produced were both tackles by Alan Hutton. 

These are the performances that put the manager under pressure, we look like a team that don't trust passing football as an idea "get it down the flanks quick or bang it up to Keinan" would be the extent of our tactical discussion looking at tonights showing.

These are also the results that will help the manager further his aims, but like the chap from across town now out of work, you have to make damned sure you're getting those results if you're offering nothing else.

Close your eyes, cross your fingers, count the points and repeat after me; a win is a win is a win is a win is a win.

I agree with just about all of that, except one thing......I don't think we work hard enough OFF the ball and tonight we allowed them too much space to play in.we did not close down like we did at Loftus Rd either.

If you do that you are liable to concede.....I said during the game, there was a goal in them, mainly due to our benevolence.

we had a night off basically.....but we secured the only stat of relevance a win.

The rest is cosmetic.

3 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

To play that poor and win is a good sign, I think we would have lost that last year. But damn why do we have to make it so hard in ourselves ffs

To play poor and win is not necessarily a good sign . We just got lucky tonight ,and luck is in my experience invariably inconsistent. 

1 minute ago, sheepyvillian said:

To play poor and win is not necessarily a good sign . We just got lucky tonight ,and luck is in my experience invariably inconsistent. 

I am not so sure we played poor.....we played ugly and untidy....but we mix it

not sure its the same.....we are grinding things out.

i accept its not convincing, but this guy has done it before.

its not pretty and it creates anxiety in the crowd, but its hard to argue until we lose.

6 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

It can also be argued....." the harder i work the luckier I get"....... now where have i heard that before.

4 minutes ago, TRO said:

I am not so sure we played poor.....we played ugly and untidy....but we mix it

not sure its the same.....we are grinding things out.

i accept its not convincing, but this guy has done it before.

its not pretty and it creates anxiety in the crowd, but its hard to argue until we lose.

That's my point ,when we lose there is no redeeming qualities. As Tony Pullis found out to his cost . We've spent millions to play " ugly and untidy " football , and your right ,it isn't very convincing .

1 minute ago, sheepyvillian said:

That's my point ,when we lose there is no redeeming qualities. As Tony Pullis found out to his cost . We've spent millions to play " ugly and untidy " football , and your right ,it isn't very convincing .

We haven't spent millions to play that way......we have dumped 30 million on two pigs in pokes......shit happens.

We have wasted money over previous years granted, but this manager has not had the same level of duds other than Hogan.

its going to have to be evolution, rather than revolution.....heres hoping we get more right than wrong.

4 minutes ago, TRO said:

We haven't spent millions to play that way......we have dumped 30 million on two pigs in pokes......shit happens.

We have wasted money over previous years granted, but this manager has not had the same level of duds other than Hogan.

its going to have to be evolution, rather than revolution.....heres hoping we get more right than wrong.

" Hoping " ,that about sums it up. 

Â