Match Thread: Villa v Sunderland

limpid

First half observations:

Our passing is attrocious.  When we're on the break we give it away cheaply and when we're trying to build from the back the pace at which we play is nowhere near quick enough to catch them out.

Davis looks like he's on sleeping pills!  Not at the races at all.  Shame that Hogan is injured because i think this would be the perfect half to get him some confidence.

Grealish needs to come on but I don't know who for.  Possibly Whelan - go all out for 20 mins or so to kill them off, then bring Jedi on for Snodgrass, moving Jack to left and Albert to right.

• Like 4

We do look a bit lethargic and slow but should still be able to get another and win this.  We've got more quality.

The only individual player I'm really concerned about is Taylor - I think he's had a mare.

Hopefully we can grab another early in the second half to free us up to bring subs on a little earlier and give some of the lads a rest.

12 minutes ago, GREAT_BEARD_OF_ZEUS said:

Our passing is attrocious. 

Isn't it always. We simply cant keep possession for a sustained period of time and it's typical of a Steve Bruce team. 

Edited by villa89
  • Like 1

Strange sort of game. Sunderland playing out of their skins and don't look like bottom feeders. They really should be less confident given their position. Their pacy pass and move game is unnerving us a bit, but at the same time, we've had a few decent spells and we should be at least two up by now. Another goal might break them. We're struggling to keep hold of the ball again, which is annoying. All very confusing!

3 minutes ago, handsworthvilla said:

Its not THAT bad ... Sunderland haven't really threatened at all. Just lacking a bit of energy and invention in the final third. Davis' touch hasn't been great, and Adomah has made a few poor choices. Legs look a bit tired all round, it might be a good idea for some early subs. 

I don’t think anyone would argue against the fact Sunderland haven’t threatened and tbf or defence has been solid, but our midfield and Davis are really not pulling their weight. I don’t think we would lose but if we don’t pick things up a bit this is heading to a 1-1 draw. 

1 minute ago, Brumerican said:

I'm not excusing them , just making an observation. Whelan looks like his weekly  battle against gravity will come to it's inevitable conclusion around the 70 minute mark.

I knew that, but any excuse for an amusing GIF and I'm on it :)

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Grasshopper said:

The players have a 2 week break, we then play 1 away game (which we win) then everybody is „tired“.

Is that a fact?

or an excuse?

I don't agree with a lot of what you post but you are spot on here, why are they tired?? It's a poor excuse

• Like 1