Ashes Cricket

bannedfromHandV

Only seen the ad and just based on the graphics it looks awful, with little effort put in.

It could be a good game but I'd be very surprised(I mean if you can't be arsed to make 15 seconds of the game look good then what's the likelihood it actually plays well) especially at the 40od quid price tag. 

Looks like a cash grab from the increased exposure cricket will get the next few months to me.

I wasted a spectacular amount of time playing ATARI ST International Cricket (back in the 80's).  It was such a simple but addictive game, I would love to see it's equivalent today.  I'm a sucker for a cricket game, but I have to confess the Ashes one isn't appealing to me too much.

57 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

It's actually got decent reviews, seems a steady 7.5/8 out of 10 from most of the major reviewers so maybe not so bad! 

I have been waiting for a decent cricket game to come out. Im pretty it is cricket 2006 that is my favourite. I was hoping my wait had come to an end and this was the one!

Here you go;

https://www.gamespot.com/reviews/ashes-cricket-review/1900-6416813/ 

V

ery few sports struggle to survive the transition from real-life to video game like cricket does. Cricket is perceived as slow and long; some might even call it a little bit boring. Cricket video games have often suffered similar problems, often weighed down by cumbersome, complex controls and glacial pacing when compared to the likes of a FIFA or a Madden. Ashes Cricket suffers some of these inherent problems as well as a few of its own making, but also manages to capture the heart of the game in a way that few have achieved before. Despite some poor presentation and a handful of bugs, fans of the sport will find Ashes Cricket a good way to enjoy the virtual sound of leather on willow.

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, sharkyvilla said:

I reckon cricket must be one of the hardest sports to make a convincing computer game.  I'm surprised EA Sports haven't tried cashing in on the IPL and made one.

EA made quite a few cricket games, They stopped because it only really sells in a few countries (although it does sell very well) and there were player rights issues with India. 

EA Cricket 2019 is supposedly in the works presuming they can sort out rights/licensing issues. They will not release it without proper licenced players/competitions.

On 16/12/2017 at 03:15, lp_villa830 said:

I bought it earlier today. Not got around to playing it yet though, after i give it a go I'll post how i find it. 

Played it yet? I would love to hear from anyone as because the real cricket is soooo boring I was going to buy it today.

Edited by Villan_of_oz

10 hours ago, Villan_of_oz said:

Played it yet? I would love to hear from anyone as because the real cricket is soooo boring I was going to buy it today.

Yeah, i got around to playing it a bit last night and this morning.  I started an Ashes series and have only tried the batting so far. 320-7 at the end of day 1 after being 76-4 at lunch.  

Im not sure what i think at the minute to be honest. The batting controls are good and gives you a lot of different options to score runs but they can take some getting used too hence my poor start. All the wickets i have lost i lost in proper England fashion by playing stupid shots.

The A.I bowling seems a bit erratic, theirs no real grouping and each deliverys line and length seems a bit random. Whether that is a case of the difficulty level i have it on or not im not sure. I'll up the difficulty for my 2nd innings and see how it goes. 

When they took the new ball aswell they decided to give it Lyons and Cummins which seemed odd too. Cummings was avg over 5.0 an over when Starc and Hazelwood took the initial new ball. 

Graphics arent at FIFA level but are decent enough. The presentation is clean and smart enough but the commentary despite having multiple commentators is as usual boring and repetive. 

The detail that you can go into with the editing of players,stadiums,teams,bats and logos is very impressive and the community creations are bang on. 

Without having had a go at bowling yet id give it 5/6 out of 10. IF the A.I bowling is more realistic at a harder difficulty setting it could easily jump to a 7/8. 

• Like 1

On 12/15/2017 at 16:59, sharkyvilla said:

I reckon cricket must be one of the hardest sports to make a convincing computer game.  I'm surprised EA Sports haven't tried cashing in on the IPL and made one.

Brian Lara Cricket was a great game back about 2004 I think it came out. Even had classic challenges and the graphics would look like the time

• Like 2

On 17/12/2017 at 21:16, lp_villa830 said:

Yeah, i got around to playing it a bit last night and this morning.  I started an Ashes series and have only tried the batting so far. 320-7 at the end of day 1 after being 76-4 at lunch.  

Im not sure what i think at the minute to be honest. The batting controls are good and gives you a lot of different options to score runs but they can take some getting used too hence my poor start. All the wickets i have lost i lost in proper England fashion by playing stupid shots.

The A.I bowling seems a bit erratic, theirs no real grouping and each deliverys line and length seems a bit random. Whether that is a case of the difficulty level i have it on or not im not sure. I'll up the difficulty for my 2nd innings and see how it goes. 

When they took the new ball aswell they decided to give it Lyons and Cummins which seemed odd too. Cummings was avg over 5.0 an over when Starc and Hazelwood took the initial new ball. 

Graphics arent at FIFA level but are decent enough. The presentation is clean and smart enough but the commentary despite having multiple commentators is as usual boring and repetive. 

The detail that you can go into with the editing of players,stadiums,teams,bats and logos is very impressive and the community creations are bang on. 

Without having had a go at bowling yet id give it 5/6 out of 10. IF the A.I bowling is more realistic at a harder difficulty setting it could easily jump to a 7/8. 

I've bought it on steam for my pc. Did all the tutorials and then played a casual match on whatever default settings they gave. 

Based in 2 hours game play I am very excited but I 100% agree with that I hope A.I's bowling gets better.

Just about guaranteed a couple of crap bowls an over and I did hit 6 sixes of one over.

Other than that I thought the game was very realistic and flowed well.

Â