The Game's Gone

NurembergVillan

3 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

the state farm adverts are classed as entertainment?

I thought the game itself was entertainment, and the 15 minutes in between was beer time.

Having said that, considering the VP food stands the break should be 45 mins just to get a beer in. 

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Mic09 said:

I thought the game itself was entertainment, and the 15 minutes in between was beer time.

Having said that, considering the VP food stands the break should be 45 mins just to get a beer in. 

yep, the 15 minutes is a break to get warm and have a piss, if they played for 90 mins straight through i would actually stay for 90 mins no problem, i only go down to the concourse because of boredom and alcohol half the time

id have thought they'd be changing it to focus on the TV audience which would be far bigger and i cant see anyone in their right mind watching a game on TV and thinking "you know what would make this better, more adverts"

for the TV audience its almost like making it shorter would be better, get the game going again, take for example a CL game, kicks off at 8pm starts up again at 9pm, im not invested in either team or the match, if they make HT 25 minutes then there's every danger that at 9pm im channel surfing and finding something else to watch

in american sports HT has a complete different meaning because you have several opportunities to leave your seat during a game not just 1, its a completely different set up

Edited by villa4europe
  • Like 1

If anything they should strive to make the game as far removed from American sports as possible. The Super Bowl halftime show is excruciating to sit through, usually when I fall asleep most years.

But even regular games from the NFL, NHL, NBA and no doubt MLB as well is a chore to get through with all the breaks and commercials. 

1 minute ago, StefanAVFC said:

This makes no sense, the NFL break is 10 mins ffs

the half time break is 10 minutes

the number of breaks depending on changes of possession, i'll take the chargers vs steelers game, 14 x drives, 2 x end of quarter, 1 x HT, 2 x 2 minute warnings, 12 x time outs, lets say 2 x injury time outs, thats 33 advert breaks and i think they might do more, do they go to a break after a score and then go to another break after the kick off? i reckon i hear about the mahomes deal around 15-20 times a week 

sne is right you cant compare football to american sports

the other thing is the science side of it, forget the commercial aspect or the fan aspect, if physios and sports scientists say its a bad idea then scrap it, if a 25 minute break consisted of 15 mins in the changing room and then having to warm up again then it doesn't work

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

yep, the 15 minutes is a break to get warm and have a piss, if they played for 90 mins straight through i would actually stay for 90 mins no problem, i only go down to the concourse because of boredom and alcohol half the time

id have thought they'd be changing it to focus on the TV audience which would be far bigger and i cant see anyone in their right mind watching a game on TV and thinking "you know what would make this better, more adverts"

for the TV audience its almost like making it shorter would be better, get the game going again, take for example a CL game, kicks off at 8pm starts up again at 9pm, im not invested in either team or the match, if they make HT 25 minutes then there's every danger that at 9pm im channel surfing and finding something else to watch

in american sports HT has a complete different meaning because you have several opportunities to leave your seat during a game not just 1, its a completely different set up

I enjoy watching the NBA, but I CBA waiting while the pretty ladies do their dance in the middle of the court.

Ok, I'm lying, that is the main reason why I watch the NBA. I think we should scrap that ball playing business and let the ladies do their thing. 

6 hours ago, villa4europe said:

Exactly this. At the ground I'd be bored senseless because I can't be arsed queueing for 10-15 minutes for a mediocre pint, and at home, with a 25 minute break, you've lost me, I'm not sitting tight for 25 minutes of adverts and Jamie Carragher, I'm doing something else.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Mic09 said:

MCFC OK

Am I being dumb? I didn’t get that banner at all.  I know I’m middle aged, have I’ve missed some youth acronym? What does the OK mean aside from the usual ‘okay’?

1 hour ago, nick76 said:

Am I being dumb? I didn’t get that banner at all.  I know I’m middle aged, have I’ve missed some youth acronym? What does the OK mean aside from the usual ‘okay’?

They really want to sign Ollie Kahn

• Haha 1

From the Purslow thread before @TRO and I take it off topic about capitalism again :D

I watched on with joy and excitement this morning as we heard our CEO talk about us reaching the next phase of our evolution, in our grand corportate strategy, and it was those words "corportate strategy" that were the sickener. Over many threads we've discussed "loyalty" in the context of Grealish, Smith, even Messi, and there's a common acceptance, I think, that there's no real loyalty from players, they're just employees at the end of the day, and we can't expect the same loyalty from players as we, the fans have.

But it feels a bit grotesque to be a passionate supporter of an organisation with a corporate strategy. A bit dystopian even. The corporations using the illusion and word-trickery that we're "fans" not "customers", and we're an important part of the Sports Corporation family. Please ensure you've bought a loyalty card. The best thing to do is probably not to listen to a word Purslow or anyone like him says, because the next time I cheer a Villa goal, I'll feel like I'm jumping up and down and screaming like my favourite supermarket has just posted year-end figures that trump their rivals. Well on course to achieve their corporate strategy. 

It's what we have to do now money has consumed the game, and Purslow is at least competent which is more than you can say about the former clowns we've had in his position, but if hearing that bloke speak doesn't make you realise the game has lost its soul, nothing will.

Edited by Davkaus
  • Like 4

The world of football is a bad, bad place - a Friedmanesque dream of maximised opportunity, legislated into place with FFP and populated with cold corporate characters. It's a world of greed.

When I see Purslow speak about Villa, I'm mostly reminded of the line from True Detective that goes; "The world needs bad men. We keep the other bad men from the door."

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

The world of football is a bad, bad place - a Friedmanesque dream of maximised opportunity, legislated into place with FFP and populated with cold corporate characters. It's a world of greed.

When I see Purslow speak about Villa, I'm mostly reminded of the line from True Detective that goes; "The world needs bad men. We keep the other bad men from the door."

When I hear that quote, I'm reminded of the three kinds of people line from Team America. 

However, I think I'd get banned if I dared post it in on here. 

• Haha 2

12 hours ago, Davkaus said:

From the Purslow thread before @TRO and I take it off topic about capitalism again :D

I watched on with joy and excitement this morning as we heard our CEO talk about us reaching the next phase of our evolution, in our grand corportate strategy, and it was those words "corportate strategy" that were the sickener. Over many threads we've discussed "loyalty" in the context of Grealish, Smith, even Messi, and there's a common acceptance, I think, that there's no real loyalty from players, they're just employees at the end of the day, and we can't expect the same loyalty from players as we, the fans have.

But it feels a bit grotesque to be a passionate supporter of an organisation with a corporate strategy. A bit dystopian even. The corporations using the illusion and word-trickery that we're "fans" not "customers", and we're an important part of the Sports Corporation family. Please ensure you've bought a loyalty card. The best thing to do is probably not to listen to a word Purslow or anyone like him says, because the next time I cheer a Villa goal, I'll feel like I'm jumping up and down and screaming like my favourite supermarket has just posted year-end figures that trump their rivals. Well on course to achieve their corporate strategy. 

It's what we have to do now money has consumed the game, and Purslow is at least competent which is more than you can say about the former clowns we've had in his position, but if hearing that bloke speak doesn't make you realise the game has lost its soul, nothing will.

You seem to have a view of the world, that is not to your liking.....I tend to ignore things, I can't affect or change. In some ways the monster you choose to condemn, has probably been created by us, in craving for better players, in a market, where every other club feels the same...Better players usually cost more money....and so the treadmill runs.

I would hazard a guess that his referral to "Corporate Strategy" is merely a descriptive slogan he chose to use to describe the multi-million pound business he is in and has to abide by.

As there is an option to condemn, there is also an option to go with the flow.....you can't do much in this world in terms of tangible things without money, so I prefer to work within that scope, rather than bogging myself down with Dogma.

My escape from the world you seem to deplore, is going down the match and losing myself in a game of football....how Ironic, this has turned out to be.

PS .....Ideology is one thing, Reality is another.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

Â