The Game's Gone

NurembergVillan

Interesting points that have made me rethink since my last post.

I feel like it has lost prestige for fans of top flight clubs to a point, unless your team gets to like the semi final, I feel for a lot of fans the league takes a lot more pride of place. A lot of us are looking to survive in this league so the cups are distraction. Clubs at the top end of the table are competing for Europe so again it's a distraction.

Interestingly for players surely they'd prefer actual trophies. What's better to look back on at the end of your career? Medals or being able to say you were finishing in the top four consistently or that one season you got into the Europa League?

Not that anyone can be surprised or that the powers that be cares.

(google translated)

According to the RFEF, the Super Cup in Arabia will be a public success but the clubs have only sold a thousand tickets

One of the doubts facing the Spanish  Super Cup  that is being held for the first time in Saudi Arabia is the attendance of the public. If we ask the  Spanish Football Federation  the tournament will be a "resounding success" . But it can be considered a tremendous failure if we talk about Spanish fans who are going to travel from our country.

They are data that speak for themselves. According to the information provided by Juan Antonio Alcalá  in Deportes COPE this Monday - contrasted with the Federation itself and with the four participating clubs - Real Madrid, Barça, Atlético and Valencia each had 3,000 tickets each to offer to their fans and subscribers.

The case is that, for the moment,  Real Madrid  has only placed a hundred tickets among its fans in Spain and another 600 among its fans in the Middle East. Of those 100 Real Madrid fans in Spain, 17 are private fans and 83 are relatives of players.

The  club , meanwhile, has its 3000 colcado 240 entries. The  Atletico Madrid  has sold 50; and  Valencia  has only sold 20 tickets.

In total, Spanish clubs have placed among their fans  1010 of the 12000 tickets  they had at their disposal.

https://www.cope.es/deportes/futbol/noticias/segun-rfef-supercopa-arabia-sera-exito-publico-pero-los-clubes-solo-han-vendido-mil-entradas-20200106_587167

Think when you get to the quarter finals then you can feel a buzz for the cup. 2015 our run I think was pretty good until the final but you could definitely feel some hope and excitement within the fans. 

I would prefer to see us win trophies than just finishing in the top 4 for example

Don't know how I feel about that.  Championship clubs are more dependent on turnstile income than Premier League clubs so, if they feel they can charge more and still sell the tickets, then I don't really have a problem with it.

Plus, watching, say, Leeds at Elland Road is going to be far more enjoyable than most of the Premier League sides - assuming you're going to pay £30 to watch, I don't know, Palace or Burnley or someone.  I'm not sure it's outrageous that Championship tickets occasionally cost more.

53 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Don't know how I feel about that.  Championship clubs are more dependent on turnstile income than Premier League clubs so, if they feel they can charge more and still sell the tickets, then I don't really have a problem with it.

Plus, watching, say, Leeds at Elland Road is going to be far more enjoyable than most of the Premier League sides - assuming you're going to pay £30 to watch, I don't know, Palace or Burnley or someone.  I'm not sure it's outrageous that Championship tickets occasionally cost more.

If the away tickets weren't capped the premier league prices would be more and this wouldn't be a story

Dunno about that, paid £46 for Sheffield Wednesday away, im sure some of the C class games in the PL were less

The main thing is the money that flushes the PL doesn't trickle down, the championship clubs have to charge that to survive, the PL clubs can charge £30 because the TV money makes it largely irrelevant, the EFL again should be brought up on their garbage deal

You can take it further, it's £19 to watch kiddy harriers vs spennymore town next weekend, or for £1 more you can watch villa vs Watford 

• 2 weeks later...

Jurgen Klopp deciding he's not going to manage Liverpool in an FA Cup replay because he's going on holiday with the first team and leaving the kids to play it.

If he's not keen on the touchline I'd recommend a very large fine and nice long touchline ban. Tit.

• Like 4

16 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

Jurgen Klopp deciding he's not going to manage Liverpool in an FA Cup replay because he's going on holiday with the first team and leaving the kids to play it.

If he's not keen on the touchline I'd recommend a very large fine and nice long touchline ban. Tit.

Big, big moment for the FA this. Are they going to let a manager call the shots and show them up?

Realistically they need to make it clear to Liverpool that if they are not going to take the cup seriously there will be repercussions.

Watershed moment for English football.

What would be extra special would be if the club fall out with Klopp over it and have to sack him. Its too early for Christmas presents though.

Edited by Genie
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Genie said:

Big, big moment for the FA this. Are they going to let a manager call the shots and show them up?

Realistically they need to make it clear to Liverpool that if they are not going to take the cup seriously there will be repercussions.

Watershed moment for English football.

What would be extra special would be if the club fall out with Klopp over it and have to sack him. Its too early for Christmas presents though.

Are they going to fine Brentford for making 9 changes against Leicester including 6 under 20's?

1 hour ago, LakotaDakota said:

Are they going to fine Brentford for making 9 changes against Leicester including 6 under 20's?

Maybe if the reason was the first team were taken away on holiday by the club rather than play 🙂 

Â