The Game's Gone

NurembergVillan

1 minute ago, StefanAVFC said:

I am the first to scream and shout about the game going soft.

But studs up contact on an opponent's knee was a red 10 years ago and it's a red now.

On the follow through from a clearance? You're making out he went in two footed on his knee. It's not the same.

7 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

No I'm not.

As I keep saying, he made studs up contact on an opponent's knee.

Regardless of whether he meant it. Clearance or tackle, it is a red card. Always was. Is now.

No it wasn't. If you did an overhead kick and accidentally kicked someone in the face, that didn't used to be a booking / red card. This is similar situation. The idea of every time you endanger player safety in any way being a red card is a new thing.

3 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

Going studs up on someone's knee, regardless of tackle or clearance is a red and always has been been.

I don't know how old you are, but trust me, when I first played and started watching football, this would never have been a red card. All the half-time pundits on Prime agreeing with me.

I completely agree it is nowadays a red card. That's why I posted it here.

39 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

Sakho just been sent off for a tackle that wouldn't even have been a foul 10 years ago.

3 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

You originally said it wouldn't have even been a foul, don't move the goalposts.

NBC and BBC say blatant red. 

What are you on about? I said 10 years ago. Back in the day, this wouldn't be a foul. Where am I moving the goalposts?

Edited by KentVillan

What are you struggling with?

We are now discussing whether it would have been a red.

Your original post was that it wouldn't have even been a foul.

Which is it? Do you honestly think that's not even a foul 10 years ago? Studs up on a knee has been a foul for as long as I've been watching (20+ years)

Edited by StefanAVFC

I also strongly dislike any measures to put in place more player safety, being labelled as 'the game's gone' or 'going soft'. It's just ignorant and medieval.

10 years ago a last man challenge, even accidental, was a red. Now the ref can give a yellow to avoid double jeopardy.

Is it the game 'going soft' or, as with player safety, common sense?

• Like 1

What's with the political interview attitude? My saying it wouldn't be a red is consistent with also saying it wouldn't be a foul. There's no goalpost being shifted, I was just reacting to the discussion. Calm down.

I honestly think the way the ex-pros interpreted it on Prime at half-time (a clearance where he's accidentally followed through) would not have been a foul or a red card in the recent past. Perhaps 10 years is too recent, since I remember Nani getting sent off for something similar in the Champions League. But 20 years ago, this was never a red card in the Premier League.

It used to be much more about the intent. Now it's more about the action itself, regardless of intent. A two footed lunge tackle would have always been a red, but accidentally planting your foot on someone with your follow through would be fair game, unless you made a deliberate second movement towards them.

I personally don't think Sakho's clearance was actually that dangerous, and the other player (who appears to be uninjured) has made a meal of it. Lots of sports have an element of danger, and trying to completely legislate danger out of the game takes something away from the spirit of the contest for me. I don't want to see broken legs, but I do want football to be a physically tough sport. Why is that medieval?

If anyone for some reason still needed more proof that Gianni Infantino is worse than Havelange, Blatter and Platini combined.

The sooner Infantino is taken out by a Alexandar Tonev volley the better. 

Surely it can't be that hard to find corruption and bribery charges to stick on this guy? He's pure evil.

Real Madrid’s President Plots a Way for Richest Clubs to Get Richer

Real Madrid’s Florentino Pérez is shepherding a proposal that would reshape European soccer for the benefit of the Continent’s biggest clubs. UEFA’s president called the idea “insane.”

Real Madrid’s president, Florentino Pérez, recently held talks with officials from some of Europe’s leading soccer clubs, as well as the FIFA president, Gianni Infantino, to outline his vision for the sport. What he is proposing, according to people familiar with the conversations, is nothing less than a groundbreaking power shift in the club game.

One elite competition comprising the world’s richest clubs, untethered from their domestic leagues for a new full-season competition. Domestic leagues stripped of their biggest and most historic brands. And thousands of top-division games rendered far less valuable to everyone from sponsors to broadcasters to, perhaps most important, fans.

With financing in the works and the clout of Real Madrid backing the venture, and with the game’s officials beginning to sketch the framework of the new global soccer calendar that will take effect after 2024, the outlines of a European super league could be closer than before.

On Friday, UEFA’s president, Aleksander Ceferin, called Pérez’s plan “insane,” and said it would “ruin” the sport.

“I have read about this insane plan,” Ceferin said. “If reports are to be believed, it comes from a single club president, not the owner, and a lone football administrator. It would be hard to think of a more selfish and egotistical scheme.

“It would clearly ruin football around the world: for the players, for the fans and for everyone connected with the game — all for the benefit of a tiny number of people.”

Ceferin’s reaction may lead to a rekindling of tension between the UEFA leader and Infantino. The two men, who were both expected to attend celebrations to mark the 100th anniversary of the Polish soccer federation on Friday, did not speak for a year after Infantino first unveiled his plans for his expanded Club World Cup in March 2018.

Pérez, who as Real Madrid’s president became a founding member of a new global association for international clubs when it was begun last month at FIFA’s headquarters in Zurich, declined, through the club, to comment on his proposals. During his visit to Zurich, though, he discussed his ideas with Infantino, who has spent much of the past year pushing his own idea about how to remake club soccer.

Infantino’s vision for club soccer has largely been focused on the creation of a new 24-team Club World Cup that will begin play in 2021, but he also has a broader vision for FIFA, the game’s global governing body, to have a stronger hand in club soccer.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/12/05/sports/real-madrid-fifa-european-super-league.html

More terrible ideas in the full article.

• Sad 2

this one has a financial backer (Japanese bank) I can see it happening, the club world championship is a dead horse

FIFA want some UEFA money

the European super league is still a load of bollocks though, wont happen, too many people making too much money already, UEFA wont back a FIFA competition because it eats in to their money, the PL wouldn't back a UEFA league because it eats in to their money and unfortunately for them all of these leagues, clubs and organisations have spent years lining their pockets with sponsorship deals which would block any new competition because it would eat in to their money

the only way they could do it would be with 70 game seasons for the big clubs

the only part of it I would be looking forward to is fallout from the likes of spurs and arsenal not getting an invite to the top table

11 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

They float versions of this idea every year, and it never goes anywhere. 

Football is also likely more corrupt than ever and more clubs than ever are owned, run or funded by Qatari, Saudi, Asian or American money who care little for the various European leagues.

It's about money, exposure and influence for them. Fans are only customers and those who go to the games are inconsequential.

That they now have FIFA and Infantino championing their cause is not great. All the big clubs outside the PL are envious about the money in the PL and this also pushes things.

More than ever there actually is a strong backing for this crap. Still think it's some way from happening yet thou.

More funny FIFA related stuff 🙄

the years after 9/11, former U.S. counterterrorism czar Richard Clarke warned Congress that the country needed more expansive spying powers to prevent another catastrophe. Five years after leaving government, he shopped the same idea to an enthusiastic partner: an Arab monarchy with deep pockets.

In 2008, Clarke went to work as a consultant guiding the United Arab Emirates as it created a cyber surveillance capability that would utilize top American intelligence contractors to help monitor threats against the tiny nation.

The secret unit Clarke helped create had an ominous acronym: DREAD, short for Development Research Exploitation and Analysis Department. In the years that followed, the UAE unit expanded its hunt far beyond suspected extremists to include a Saudi women’s rights activist, diplomats at the United Nations and personnel at FIFA, the world soccer body. By 2012, the program would be known among its American operatives by a codename: Project Raven.

One target was UAE archrival Qatar, which in 2010 gained global attention by winning the right to hold soccer’s 2022 World Cup. In 2014, DREAD operatives targeted directors at FIFA, the Swiss-based body that runs international soccer, and people involved in Qatar’s World Cup organizing body.

The ploy was designed to steal damaging information about Qatar’s World Cup bid, which could be leaked to embarrass the UAE’s Gulf rival. Allegations that FIFA officials were bribed by Qatar in exchange for granting its World Cup bid surfaced in media reports in 2014.

The FIFA hacking operation, codenamed Brutal Challenge, was planned by an ex-NSA analyst named Chris Smith, according to DREAD operation planning memos reviewed by Reuters. The hackers sent boobytrapped Facebook messages and emails containing a malicious link to a website called “worldcupgirls.” Clicking on the link deployed spyware into the target’s computer.

It is not clear whether the mission succeeded. But the targets included Hassan Al Thawadi, secretary general of Qatar’s FIFA organizing body, and Jack Warner, a former FIFA executive who the U.S. later indicted on money laundering charges.

THE WORLDCUPGIRLS PHISHING SCAM

The hackers used a simple method to go after their victims. By hiding malware within messages that looked like ordinary spam, DREAD operatives believed the World Cup-themed phishing scheme was “low risk” because it would be difficult to trace back to their servers. Yet if the target clicked on a malicious link inside the message, their computer would be infected by spyware.

Qatar’s Supreme Committee for Delivery and Legacy, a governmental body in charge of helping organize the 2022 footballing tournament, had no comment. A spokesman for Qatar’s government said the country saw its successful bid to host the World Cup as “a chance for the world to see our region in a new light.”

In a statement, a spokeswoman said FIFA was “not aware” of any hacking incidents related to Qatar’s World Cup bid. A second spokesperson said a FIFA internal investigation did not find that Qatar paid bribes to win the right to host the tournament.

Warner, who is facing extradition to the United States from Trinidad and Tobago, could not be reached for comment. He has repeatedly proclaimed he is innocent of the charges. Smith did not respond to messages sent through email and social media.

https://www.reuters.com/investigates/special-report/usa-raven-whitehouse/?utm_medium=Social&utm_source=twitter

Â