The Game's Gone

NurembergVillan

Strange to think but one day the game really will be gone, just as with everything we see around us, I was thinking this yesterday whilst in town looking at some of the historic buildings. Some might be quite dismissive of that thinking something like 'hay it will never happen in my lifetime', but one day football will be no more.

• Like 3

On 16/09/2019 at 17:46, sne said:

Since we lack a The World's Gone thread.

Wow I've heard about celebs like the Jenners or Chrissy Teigen getting paid $500,000 to post about a brand but 1.2 million from a sports star is just insane. 

There will come a point when footballers will play only enough to create their 'brand' and then clubs won't be able to pay them enough to stay in their contracts. Imagine being able to post on instagram twice a week and make 2.4 million! Why would you play football anymore?

Edited by TheAuthority

6 hours ago, TheAuthority said:

Wow I've heard about celebs like the Jenners or Chrissy Teigen getting paid $500,000 to post about a brand but 1.2 million from a sports star is just insane. 

There will come a point when footballers will play only enough to create their 'brand' and then clubs won't be able to pay them enough to stay in their contracts. Imagine being able to post on instagram twice a week and make 2.4 million! Why would you play football anymore?

Because if you don't, somebody else becomes a star and gets the Instagram money. 

6 hours ago, TheAuthority said:

That's what you see with the likes of Neymar now.

He turns up when he want's to, but he's more of a social media and EA FIFA games star than a footballer.

• Like 1

I was expecting this headline

Fans of Dutch team ADO Den Haag showered children from a local hospital with cuddly toys during their match with Feyenoord ...sadly 11 children had to be taken back to hospital at half time due to injuries sustained from the hail of playthings

53 minutes ago, villa89 said:

Fans of Dutch team ADO Den Haag showered children from a local hospital with cuddly toys during their match with Feyenoord ...sadly 11 children had to be taken back to hospital at half time due to injuries sustained from the hail of playthings

image.png

• Haha 1

PSG have registered the white kit as their "home/preferred" kit for the Champions League this season. I suspect a few more clubs will start doing the same before much longer. 

On 20/09/2019 at 00:51, The_Rev said:

PSG have registered the white kit as their "home/preferred" kit for the Champions League this season. I suspect a few more clubs will start doing the same before much longer. 

Back in my time designing for Lazio they had four kits per season, domestic home/away and European home/away.  It was bonkers.

I think the using your away kit in Europe is less egregious than having a special kit.  Admittedly PSG don't really have to deal with tradition, they were only founded in the seventies and most of their support are post oil money glory hunters but seeing clubs in their away kit more often is definitely the way the game is going. 

If you support a club who has to change a lot anyway (hello Aston Villa) then it's not really noticeable bit I'll bet there are clubs who can go entire seasons without needing to change. Norwich were always the obvious example and even with Wolves and Watford in the same division they can still play in yellow 95% of the time. I guess playing in alternative kits more will only increase sales.  

Probably the greatest player I have seen play but I have always had Xavi as a bit of a dick

Former Barcelona captain Xavi Hernandez has controversially said that the political system in Qatar works better than in Spain.

The 39-year-old brought his illustrious playing career to a close earlier this year and is now in charge of Qatari club Al Sadd, for whom he played after leaving the Blaugrana in 2015.

“I do not live in a democratic country, but I believe that the system here works better than there [Spain],” Xavi told Ara, as cited by 20minutos.es.

“I will have to vote (in the Spanish general election in November), of course. I want the best for my future and that of my children. And unfortunately, I see that Spain does not work in the best way.

“Here we have peace of mind, security...we have no house key, you leave the car running...Núria [Xavi’s wife] even tells me that if we can continue here it will also be better for our children. Both were born here. In Qatar people are happy.

“It is true that there is no democratic regime, but people are happy. They are delighted with the royal family, they carry his photographs in the car, he takes cares of his citizens.”

Xavi made 767 first-team appearances for the Catalan giants between 1998 and 2015, alongside winning 133 caps for the Spanish national team.

He won eight La Liga titles alongside three Copa del Rey crowns and four Champions League trophies in his total of 25 titles with the club.

https://www.football-espana.net/81108/xavi-hernandez-qatar-society-better-spain

• Sad 1

Barcelona found guilty of tapping up Antoine Griezmann while he at Atletico Madrid.  Their punishment?  €300 (three hundred Euro) fine.   I presume they paid in cash before leaving the court. 

Â