Jump to content
NurembergVillan

The Game's Gone

Recommended Posts

On 11/08/2019 at 05:55, Zatman said:

He is certainly not lived up to the hype. Not even best player at his club 

Would that be Mbappe currently? To be fair PSG are pretty stacked. Only the biggest clubs in the world have players like Di Maria coming off the bench.

I agree though, hasn't lived up to the hype, I'd of thought he and Bale would have at least joined the Ronaldo vs Messi Ballon d'Or discussion, if not surpassed them in rank by now.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/49412873

Quote

Juventus: Serie A champions call for earlier kick-offs for Asian market

By Simon Stone

 

BBC Sport

1 hour ago
Cristiano Ronaldo new Juventus shirt
Juventus unveiled their new away shirt during a visit to Shanghai this summer

Italian champions Juventus have called on Serie A to schedule more early kick-offs to help the club grow in Asia.

Juve are below last season's Premier League top six clubs in revenue and see China as a major area for growth.

The Serie A season begins on Saturday, and every game in the first two weeks starts at midnight or later in Beijing.

"We have to find the right balance between domestic and global audiences," Juventus chief revenue officer Giorgio Ricci told BBC Sport.

"It is not just about the broadcasting times, it is also about the rights distribution and who is showing the games.

"In that sense, the difference between the Premier League and Serie A is huge.

"This is a very old story and one of the more frequent reasons for fights with the league."

Italy's top clubs have long debated with the league about the need for more games to be played at earlier times to maximise their chances of exposure in China and South East Asia.

The bigger clubs do not believe the Italian system, which revolves around evening matches, helps them 'sell their brands' globally.

And while there is an acceptance that viewing habits are changing, Juventus are frustrated at the present situation, which they feel tilts the commercial market hugely in favour of Premier League clubs.

All of the Italian top-flight matches on the opening two weekends of the campaign kick off at either 17:00 BST or 19:45.

Speaking in March, Serie A president Gaetano Micciche said the possibility of playing a Serie A match in China within the next three years had been discussed, but it was unlikely to happen in that timescale.

Deloitte's Football Money League,published in January, placed Juventus 11th in the table of the world's 20 richest clubs.

Ricci said that an aggressive commercial strategy, including becoming the first Italian club to open an office in Asia in Hong Kong, is aimed at increasing revenues as they pursue winning the Champions League for the first time since 1996.

Juve have also bought high-profile players, signing Portugal forward Cristiano Ronaldo for £99.2m from Real Madrid in 2018 and £67.5m Netherlands defender Matthijs de Ligt from Ajax this summer.

Although they have won the Italian title on 35 occasions - including for the past eight seasons - they have lost five Champions League finals in the past 23 years.

Several Premier League clubs have offices in Hong Kong, including Manchester United and Manchester City, and Federico Palomba, head of Juventus' Asia-Pacific operation, says it is a region "with huge scope for growth".

Since Ronaldo joined last year, Juventus have carried out studies that showed their global fanbase has risen by 16% and their 'digital community', their combined followers on various social media platforms including Weibo, has risen by 59% to 81 million.

"In the 1990s, Serie A was very popular in China. Now it is coming back again," added Palomba.

What is the modern game becoming?  It’s all about the money from the top to bottom... 

i’d now rearrange their choice fixtures to late evening games just to piss them off!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Almost as bad as the '39th Premier League' game 'idea'.

 

I still can't believe they actually floated that as a genuine proposal.........

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Almost as bad as the '39th Premier League' game 'idea'.

 

I still can't believe they actually floated that as a genuine proposal.........

I still think that will eventually happen. It's a monumentally shit idea that messes with the very fundamentals or a league being a fair competition.

Clubs having one of their regular matches abroad, without adding an extra game, would be a better solution. But it's still absolute shite, and a solution to a problem that doesn't exist

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I still think that will eventually happen. It's a monumentally shit idea that messes with the very fundamentals or a league being a fair competition.

Clubs having one of their regular matches abroad, without adding an extra game, would be a better solution. But it's still absolute shite, and a solution to a problem that doesn't exist

Barca were shot down for trying it last season with La Liga though wasnt a Barca home game

Issue with 39th game is Burnley vs Brighton in Tokyo really isn't appealing. Outside top 6 their is no market not to mention fans would want see a top game featuring 2 top teams

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The problem with the 39th game was always finding a balance as to who the extra game was against 

If we played man City 3 times this season and got relegated by 1 point you can imagine the trouble

Its a non starter

The surprise for me is they haven't looked at how the Nfl have integrated it and tried to do the same, its telling that the charity shield hasn't gone abroad like France and Italy - Wembley makes more money for the FA so why would they? 

Edited by villa4europe
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just now, Zatman said:

Barca were shot down for trying it last season with La Liga though wasnt a Barca home game

Issue with 39th game is Burnley vs Brighton in Tokyo really isn't appealing. Outside top 6 their is no market not to mention fans would want see a top game featuring 2 top teams

The biggest issue with the 39th game is that it's a 39th game, regardless of where it's played.

 

The whole concept of a league season is everyone plays everyone else twice, home and away. If you throw an extra game in there it just skews everything horrifically.

Imagine it's us and Newcastle at the end of this season, 17th and 18th on goal difference going into the 39th game. Newcastle's 39th game is drawn out the hat as being vs already relegated in 20th place Sheffield United.
Our 39th game is drawn out the hat as vs Man City who are neck and neck with Liverpool for the title.

It would be utterly ludicrous.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

The biggest issue with the 39th game is that it's a 39th game, regardless of where it's played.

 

The whole concept of a league season is everyone plays everyone else twice, home and away. If you throw an extra game in there it just skews everything horrifically.

Imagine it's us and Newcastle at the end of this season, 17th and 18th on goal difference going into the 39th game. Newcastle's 39th game is drawn out the hat as being vs already relegated in 20th place Sheffield United.
Our 39th game is drawn out the hat as vs Man City who are neck and neck with Liverpool for the title.

It would be utterly ludicrous.

Not that I am for the idea in any way, shape or form, however the best solution would be to have 1st v 2nd, 3rd vs 4th, 9th vs 10, 15th vs 16th etc.

That makes the only logical sense, and is (almost!) a fair solutions. It would also be the most entertaining way about it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Mic09 said:

Not that I am for the idea in any way, shape or form, however the best solution would be to have 1st v 2nd, 3rd vs 4th, 9th vs 10, 15th vs 16th etc.

That makes the only logical sense, and is (almost!) a fair solutions. It would also be the most entertaining way about it. 

That's certainly fairER. But it certainly isn't fair.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You’d potentially find yourself in a situation where the 5th place club needs a win for a champions league spot, but also needing 3rd to beat 4th or vice versa . The 3rd v 4th match could potentially be a dead rubber, play out a draw and both go through.

The 39th game idea is a load of shite. I think it would be more likely that the top X amount of clubs have an overseas mini competition at some point (As has been said, they’re only really interested in the top six), to take place either during the season or at the end, probably at the expense of the league cup. The winner gets a crappy trophy and a Europa spot or something. That would still be shit, but it wouldn’t surprise me if it happened.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

That's certainly fairER. But it certainly isn't fair.

completely agree

the only way you could do it is like the NFL where they have showcase games 3 or 4 times a year where the home club is in agreement and remains the home team but plays someone of a decent stature so it draws in the £, a portion of this money then goes in to a pot and distributed to all the PL clubs as some sort of mutual benefit

spot the stumbling blocks in that

spurs having their new stadium built would have been an ideal time to trial it, that's what a fair few of the NFL teams are, 5 games this year, 3 "home" teams are currently having new stadiums built

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

completely agree

the only way you could do it is like the NFL where they have showcase games 3 or 4 times a year where the home club is in agreement and remains the home team but plays someone of a decent stature so it draws in the £, a portion of this money then goes in to a pot and distributed to all the PL clubs as some sort of mutual benefit

Relaterad bild

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Why are Italian games at 6pm and 8:45pm (local time) anyway? We'd be asking for the occasional change if it was like that in the UK, I'm sure.

Is it because of the heat?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TheAuthority said:

SPORT-PREVIEW-Jess-Lingard-Jlingz.jpg?st

That is all.

I don't advocate violence or bullying of any kind...

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

....but I would love to punch this kid in the face.

Kid...he's 27.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, Rob182 said:

Why are Italian games at 6pm and 8:45pm (local time) anyway? We'd be asking for the occasional change if it was like that in the UK, I'm sure.

Is it because of the heat?

They also have most of their games on Sundays for some reason.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Mantis said:

They also have most of their games on Sundays for some reason.

It sounds to me like the game was always 'gone' in Italy, and now they're trying to get it back - despite the reason being for Asian fans to be able to watch. :lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 21/08/2019 at 14:08, bannedfromHandV said:

Almost as bad as the '39th Premier League' game 'idea'.

 

I still can't believe they actually floated that as a genuine proposal.........

That is so absurd even Donald Trump was embarrassed by it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Xela said:

That is so absurd even Donald Trump was embarrassed by it. 

He won't be saying that when he gets to watch Watford vs Southampton in his new 60000 custom built stadium in Nuuk 😉

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 21/08/2019 at 13:36, theboyangel said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/49412873

What is the modern game becoming?  It’s all about the money from the top to bottom... 

i’d now rearrange their choice fixtures to late evening games just to piss them off!

All about Chinese money

Lets see how they feel when the house of cards Chinese economy collapses. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

×
×
  • Create New...
Â