The Game's Gone

NurembergVillan

On 11/20/2017 at 23:27, TheAuthority said:

"Sky Super Sunday"

and this week it's Stoke v West Brom

Is it just me or are Championship games better to watch than the majority of "premier league" ties? Maybe it's because we're down here but I occasionally watch the Championship games they show on Sky. But I would never be caught dead watching Stoke vs West Brom. 

On away a side note, it bothers me that neither team ever wears their away strip for this fixture. The nail in the coffin that ensures my colour blind ass never watches this match.

2 hours ago, Keyblade said:

Is it just me or are Championship games better to watch than the majority of "premier league" ties? Maybe it's because we're down here but I occasionally watch the Championship games they show on Sky. But I would never be caught dead watching Stoke vs West Brom. 

On away a side note, it bothers me that neither team ever wears their away strip for this fixture. The nail in the coffin that ensures my colour blind ass never watches this match.

I agree. I think it's partly due to in the Championship there are more mistakes, misplaced passes, and players have a few more weaknesses. This can lead to more action and a certain amount of unpredictability. It's similar to college sports in the US versus pro sports. Some people enjoy college sports much more because of the mistakes, trick plays and the exploitation of players weaknesses.

In the PL teams often just cancel each other out. Pulis vs McCleish finishing 0-0 with both managers pleased that "We kept it tight and were very organized bur we just couldn't nick a winner." :puke:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TrinityRoadSteps said:

Clappers and goal music.

Oh yes. And add club provided flags like Arse and Red scouse. 

I'd rather have no flags that contrived ones. 

20 hours ago, Keyblade said:

They probably are, but I think it's because of modern-day football (and, thus, in keeping with this topic) - it's gospel that the Premier League is the be-all and end-all in football.  Thus, teams (such as Stoke/West Brom/Burnley/Huddersfield etc) need to make themselves tough to beat so they stay in the league.

In the Championship, the financial implications of promotion is massive.  Therefore, more teams play to win rather than not-to-lose.

The fans buy into all this as well, of course.  It's why r.e: Steve Bruce, for example, "he's there to get us up and then we'll push on".  The football itself is second to being in the top league.

• Like 2

On 26/11/2017 at 16:35, Keyblade said:

Not for me, Championship football is awful to watch imo.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 11/22/2017 at 13:01, bobzy said:

There's a massive difference between the sports.  Rugby is a contact sport, football is not.  Therefore, showing hurt in rugby does give the opposition an advantage as they can do the same thing over and over.  In football, you can't.  If a player goes down "hurt", the referee is more likely to give a free kick and card to the opposition.  Therefore, showing hurt in rugby = bad, but in football = good.

The sportsmanship side of rugby seems to be throwing punches at the opposition as a means of exacting revenge for previous big hits etc.  It's horrible.  BUT, everyone expects it and operates in the same manner so it isn't a problem.  For whatever reason, being a "hard man" is seen as a positive thing generally.

The officials thing is completely correct, though - and I'd add that the fans are better too.  You can mix and drink beer... but then, you can do that at football games in Europe quite a lot.  So the problem seems to specifically be English football fans.

My lad plays Rugby under 14's

2 things about the game, we are a fair sized club, about Walsall level in football terms. 20 changing rooms for different ages, but they all leave through 1 corridor onto the pitches. It's a bit like anfield except no one touches the sign above the door. At Liverpool the sign reads This is Anfield, ours read YOU WILL NOT DISRESPECT THE REFEREE. It' the last thing they see before going onto the pitch.

the second happened a few weeks ago, their winger cut through, it was really muddy, against our full back, a quick hip swivel and dummy. Our full back ended up on his arse. One of their players started laughing and taking the piss. The ref gave him a yellow card and 10 mins in the bin.

Edited by colhint
typo
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, jim said:

Not for me, Championship football is awful to watch imo.

quality is not great but unlike Premier League I think nearly every player gives you everything they have in the tank. Villa, Sunderland and now Everton in recent seasons that have players phoning it in. not just them 3 other clubs as well have players stealing a living

6 minutes ago, Zatman said:

quality is not great but unlike Premier League I think nearly every player gives you everything they have in the tank. Villa, Sunderland and now Everton in recent seasons that have players phoning it in. not just them 3 other clubs as well have players stealing a living

Both us and Sunderland still have those players on our books.

Granted unlike last season they are not playing a part for us.

For me if I want to watch try-hards I'll watch the Allsvenskan or some league I have a connection with. For me not being English the Championship is just a bunch of teams and players I've hardly heard of and care nothing about.

I have a choice of maybe 10 leagues I can watch any given week, that choice will never be the Championship if Villa is not playing.

Um...

https://www.a-league.com.au/news/stars-wars-round-hyundai-a-league

Football Federation Australia (FFA) and The Walt Disney Company Australia join forces for the Star Wars Round, which kicks off Friday 8 December, 2017.

The Star Wars Round will see Hyundai A-League clubs battle it out on the field ahead of Star Wars: The Last Jedi releasing in cinemas 14 December, 2017.

The Star Wars Round will feature character appearances, big screen content, themed activities, special signage and giveaways.

To celebrate the Star Wars Round, a limited edition BB-8 supporter ball has been produced, which will be available for purchase through the official Hyundai A-League online store, shop.a-league.com.au, club stores, and selected Rebel stores in Queensland. Western Sydney Wanderers FC and Melbourne City FC will also have a select range of club-specific co-branded merchandise available.

FFA chief executive David Gallop said FFA is thrilled to partner with Lucasfilm on this exciting initiative.

Star Wars is one of the world’s most powerful brands and football is the world’s biggest sport. Like football, Star Wars has super fans that span the globe, it’s a hugely successful franchise and to incorporate this into a round of the Hyundai A-League is very exciting.

“We are constantly looking to engage with new audiences and expand the football family, and this partnership provides a great way to do so in what is mutually beneficial for both parties,” Mr Gallop said.

“We are thrilled to bring Star Wars, and its much-loved characters to Hyundai A-League stadiums across Australia ahead of the release of Star Wars: The Last Jedi on December 14,” Managing Director of The Walt Disney Company, Australia and New Zealand Kylie Watson-Wheeler said.

• Like 2

The National Rugby League over here has had a huge hit over several years with one-off superhero based jerseys (apparently from both DC and Marvel) which have sold to kids like hotcakes.

I assume this is the A-League trying to capture the same sort of market, but i've heard nothing on Star Wars themed shirts.

1 hour ago, ThunderPower_14 said:

The National Rugby League over here has had a huge hit over several years with one-off superhero based jerseys (apparently from both DC and Marvel) which have sold to kids like hotcakes.

I assume this is the A-League trying to capture the same sort of market, but i've heard nothing on Star Wars themed shirts.

It really is cringeworthy.

The A League... an old boys club who found a little gosling. With the right nurturing, that little gosling was destined to grow into a golden goose that laid golden eggs guaranteeing the prosperity of the sport within the country for futures to come.

Instead they hacked him up and made sandwiches out of him.

• Like 2

Â