The Game's Gone

NurembergVillan

On 11/20/2017 at 22:39, turnbull said:

Having watched a lot of rugby over the last 3 years, I can honestly say that there's a degree of honesty and integrity in the game that football left behind years ago. Sportsmanship over gamesmanship if you like. It's not perfect and incidents do happen, but they're few and far between really. If a player is hit hard, the last thing he'll do is show he's hurt (unless he really is of course}, because the opposition will gain a psychological advantage. Rugby's all about winning the battles to win the war. Football is about winning games and in a lot of cases, it doesn't matter how that is achieved.

A lot comes from how kids are  coached. In rugby, it's about respect, for officials, your opponents and team mates and in general it works. In football, it seems to be about winning games, being yelled at and getting stuck in. That's the difference.

There's a massive difference between the sports.  Rugby is a contact sport, football is not.  Therefore, showing hurt in rugby does give the opposition an advantage as they can do the same thing over and over.  In football, you can't.  If a player goes down "hurt", the referee is more likely to give a free kick and card to the opposition.  Therefore, showing hurt in rugby = bad, but in football = good.

The sportsmanship side of rugby seems to be throwing punches at the opposition as a means of exacting revenge for previous big hits etc.  It's horrible.  BUT, everyone expects it and operates in the same manner so it isn't a problem.  For whatever reason, being a "hard man" is seen as a positive thing generally.

The officials thing is completely correct, though - and I'd add that the fans are better too.  You can mix and drink beer... but then, you can do that at football games in Europe quite a lot.  So the problem seems to specifically be English football fans.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, bobzy said:

There's a massive difference between the sports.  Rugby is a contact sport, football is not.  Therefore, showing hurt in rugby does give the opposition an advantage as they can do the same thing over and over.  In football, you can't.  If a player goes down "hurt", the referee is more likely to give a free kick and card to the opposition.  Therefore, showing hurt in rugby = bad, but in football = good.

The sportsmanship side of rugby seems to be throwing punches at the opposition as a means of exacting revenge for previous big hits etc.  It's horrible.  BUT, everyone expects it and operates in the same manner so it isn't a problem.  For whatever reason, being a "hard man" is seen as a positive thing generally.

The officials thing is completely correct, though - and I'd add that the fans are better too.  You can mix and drink beer... but then, you can do that at football games in Europe quite a lot.  So the problem seems to specifically be English football fans.

I get what you're saying about throwing punches and I suppose that still happens at lower levels, but at the top table, players are cited left right and centre, so they do have to be a bit more restrained than in the past. There are handbags now and again, but not like there used to be in the old aftershave swilling days. :cheers:

2 hours ago, Xela said:

Modern football 'fan'

Football-fans-on-mobile-WiFi-Connected-E

Can't really put that one on football, that's happening in every situation everywhere.

Bet U can't even go to a funeral without some moron with an Iphone snapchatting 

21 hours ago, sne said:

Can't really put that one on football, that's happening in every situation everywhere.

Bet U can't even go to a funeral without some moron with an Iphone snapchatting 

True, its more of a society thing now.

rocket polishers, the lot of them. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Xela said:

True, its more of a society thing now.

rocket polishers, the lot of them. 

Really hate going to concerts and having half of the people there watching through their phones, all you see is a sea of Iphones illuminating the place.

On 20/11/2017 at 22:39, turnbull said:

Having watched a lot of rugby over the last 3 years, I can honestly say that there's a degree of honesty and integrity in the game that football left behind years ago. Sportsmanship over gamesmanship if you like. It's not perfect and incidents do happen, but they're few and far between really. If a player is hit hard, the last thing he'll do is show he's hurt (unless he really is of course}, because the opposition will gain a psychological advantage. Rugby's all about winning the battles to win the war. Football is about winning games and in a lot of cases, it doesn't matter how that is achieved.

A lot comes from how kids are  coached. In rugby, it's about respect, for officials, your opponents and team mates and in general it works. In football, it seems to be about winning games, being yelled at and getting stuck in. That's the difference.

One thing that makes me puke is Rugby fans being holier than though. 

It's OK to pull hair, rip ears and gouge eyes because it's a man's game? What exactly is so bloody noble about that? 

And anyway there is plenty of evidence of desrespecting officials and generally trying it on in modern Rugby but no one is willing to admit it yet.  I predict in 5 years there will be a similar thread to to this on some rugby forum. The money has been changing it quietly for years already. 

11 minutes ago, sidcow said:

One thing that makes me puke is Rugby fans being holier than though. 

It's OK to pull hair, rip ears and gouge eyes because it's a man's game? What exactly is so bloody noble about that? 

And anyway there is plenty of evidence of desrespecting officials and generally trying it on in modern Rugby but no one is willing to admit it yet.  I predict in 5 years there will be a similar thread to to this on some rugby forum. The money has been changing it quietly for years already. 

I'll admit that I'm totally biased but I'm sorry -that's the sort of stuff that gets blurted out by a lot of people who watch little to no rugby at all and is largely bollocks. That sort of stuff happens about as frequently as someone gets bitten playing football.

I don't want to turn this into a rugby versus football thing but those sorts of old and outdated stereotypes annoy me just as much  as the stuff you mentioned. 

As with any stereotypes, there are elements of truth. Rugby does attract its own distinct types of bell ends, particularly in the lower levels and uni (public school boys who are nowhere near as good or important as they think they are). Plus all the Welsh valley roider-boy types.

I don't think it's accurate to say that there's "plenty of evidence of disrespecting officials", especially if you're trying to make a comparison to football. The two are in different galaxies when it comes to attitudes towards officials.

Every sport is full of absolute words removed, unfortunately. That's just the nature of the species. A fairly high proportion of human beings (in this case specifically men) are, as I said, absolute words removed.

• Like 2

I follow Australian Rules footy over here and you always get the same "Oh it's a non-contact sport and they spend half their time rolling around on the ground" that i'm sure you get from rugby supporters.

Every time I hear it, I can't help but fantasize about playing football against that person and kicking the stuffing out of them all game. I played years of both sports and getting body-tackled never hurt as much as getting kicked or slide-tackled hard in the shins/ankles/feet.

May be bullshit but rumours are they Neymar wants out of PSG. He doesn't want to play every game and wants to choose when he plays. Also wants the manager gone. 

if true, what a word removed. 

15 minutes ago, Xela said:

May be bullshit but rumours are they Neymar wants out of PSG. He doesn't want to play every game and wants to choose when he plays. Also wants the manager gone. 

if true, what a word removed. 

He probably wants the offside rule removed in certain games as well

Â