The Game's Gone

NurembergVillan

Call me old fashioned, but Roy Keane and Nicky Butt wouldn't have sang "beans beans beans" dressed like a pair of idiots. 

Maybe that's a part of the reason why Man United have become a bit of a joke. Like them or not, people used to respect the club. 

• Like 1

Michel Platini has been arrested this morning for corruption around the Qatar 2022 WC

More to follow.

edit:

Former UEFA president Michel Platini has been arrested over the awarding of the 2022 World Cup.

French legend Platini, 63, was elected in 2007 and served as president until 2015 when he was banned by the FIFA Ethics Committee for a series of breaches.

Mediapart claim Platini was taken into custody on Tuesday morning as part of the investigation into the awarding of the World Cup to Qatar.

He is said to have been taken to the premises of the Anti-Corruption Office of the Judicial Police (OCLCIFF).

Qatar was named as the hosts of the World Cup in December 2010 but there have been a number of controversies regarding their suitability.

Allegations of corruption and bribery within FIFA raised questions over the legitimacy of the bid from Qatar.

Former vice-president Jack Warner claimed an e-mail had been publicised amid allegations Qatar had 'bought' the Wold Cup - although the bid team have denied any wrongdoing.

Each nation votes on the host nation for the World Cup with Platini at the head of European football when Qatar was awarded the 2022 tournament.

He admitted to holding a secret meeting with the disgraced football official Mohamed Bin Hammam, shortly before casting his vote.

Of the 22-man FIFA executive committee who voted on the host nations of the 2018 and 2022 World Cups, 10 have been banned or are serving a ban for corruption breaches.

It was announced in 2015 that the tournament would be moved to the winter for the first time due to the searing heat of the Gulf summer.

There have also been issues regarding migrant workers' rights in Qatar with estimates that up to 4,000 may die before the start of the tournament.

Platini was tipped to succeed Sepp Blatter as FIFA president in 2016 before both were banned from football from four years.

The Frenchman was banned for receiving a £1.35m payment from FIFA on Blatter's orders and has served three-and-a-half years of a four-year ban.

He claimed last year that he had been cleared by Swiss judges and is taking legal action over defamation and false accusation.

After being cleared, Platini had said: ‘I will come back – where, when, how? It is too early to tell. But I will come back to football.’

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/breaking-michel-platini-arrested-amid-16535358

Edited by sne
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

It's worth regularly reminding ourselves how totally mental it is for the world cup to be in Qatar.

Makes literally no sense on any level.

The bank accounts of a number of FIFA figures would like to disagree with you.

• Like 2

im still not convinced it is a number of FIFA heads that have been bought

I think there are a number of voters that have been promised a private jet in to the brand new airport , a month in a suite in a brand new 5 star hotel or in a yacht in the brand new harbor which has been built in the brand new city, a chauffer taking them on the brand new highway to and from the brand new stadiums where they will experience world class corporate facilities, they will attend functions and events on the evenings as guests of the local or international partners where i doubt the alcohol ban will be a problem and then as a kind thank you for attending they will be given a little white paper bag containing gifts from the various sponsors and partners that would make the Oscar party organisers blush

take away the conspiracy theories about bribes and the reality is the FIFA voters are still going to have an absolutely mental month wracking up incredible costs on various company accounts, how many of them voted for Qatar knowing they would have the time of their life when they get there? this will be the ultimate corporate world cup

and im not sure if that's more "games gone" than the idea of a brown envelope under the table

34 minutes ago, Genie said:

A worry about the Qatar WC is if there are some really good entertaining games. It'll be used as some kind of justification for putting it there.

It's going to cause havoc with the club seasons, I suggest this is the first and last time it will ever happen.

3 hours ago, bannedfromHandV said:

It's going to cause havoc with the club seasons, I suggest this is the first and last time it will ever happen.

You say that, but what would you say if we just really like you so much that we give you this lovely extremely rare exclusive Rolex? And forgetting the vote coming up for a moment, did you know we have really great hotels in Qatar? The best. The very best. I have a stake in the most luxurious hotel in Doha, believe me nothing on Earth is comparable. You should visit. Perhaps I could get you a week in the penthouse suite? I know a lot of people in Doha, you'd have a wonderful time...

Anyway, about that vote...

• Like 1

exactly that! hat controversy at the brazil world cup that was something along the lines of each FIFA delegate was given a $20,000 watch and they all had to give them back because the maximum gift value they were allowed to receive was $12,000

there will be a lot of $11,999 gifts surrounding this world cup

and all of that is considered above board

4 hours ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Hard to feel sympathy for the clubs who have winter breaks and fly to countries like Qatar for meaningless friendlies

By 2022 I believe all major leagues will have a winter break in the schedule

8 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Hard to feel sympathy for the clubs who have winter breaks and fly to countries like Qatar for meaningless friendlies

By 2022 I believe all major leagues will have a winter break in the schedule

Well, a 1-2 week break with a cheeky friendly or two is slightly different to taking part in the premier footballing tournament where, if you plan on winning it you have to play 8 games in around a months time.

But yeah, aside from that it's the same.......

8 hours ago, villa4europe said:

take away the conspiracy theories about bribes 

Conspiracy theory? It's an active line of criminal inquiry in several jurisdictions. 

You're calling it a conspiracy theory on the day the former UEFA head is arrested? Ok, it's a long way from a conviction, but he wouldn't be the first. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2015_FIFA_corruption_case#Convicted_defendants

Edited by Davkaus

Â