Pre match chit chat

Demitri_C

4 hours ago, Skills said:

maybe the Coleman's appointment will do the reverse and inspire us to be on our toes...  as most would have ticked this game off with a win and potentially lead to complacency

good point, hope you are right!

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, omariqy said:

I know we were impressive against qpr but I would definitely think about making some changes to freshen us up. 

Agreed - and with Ispwich to follow not long after, our current injury situation means that whatever is left for us to choose from has to be used sparingly, wisely etc. O'Hare/Grealish will surely feature this week?

Edited by Raver50032

58 minutes ago, Raver50032 said:

Agreed - and with Ispwich to follow not long after, our current injury situation means that whatever is left for us to choose from has to be used sparingly, wisely etc. O'Hare/Grealish will surely feature this week?

Especially as Sunderland will come to stifle us and counter. I would think about bringing Grealish in and maybe dropping Onomah back into CM with Hourihane. The other option is dropping Whelan for Jedi and Grealish for Snodgrass.

5 hours ago, Raver50032 said:

We should be buoyed by the performance and result at Loftus Road over the weekend, but obviously at some point, our injury situation is going to tell... I am not 'expecting' many wins at all for a few weeks until we get some of our tools back in the selection box. I think we are more than good enough not to lose this one in particular, but I can't 'expect' a win because of the players we have out, and it's a second game in a few days.

Good luck Villa :)

Really?

We're missing Terry, Kodja and Hogan.

of which only Terry has been valuable to us this season, with Kodja being injured for chunks of the season already other players have already stepped up - i.e. Keinan, and we have goals elsewhere in the side - Adomah, Snodgrass etc, whilst Hogan hasn't contributed much when he has been here - certainly no great deal more than say O'Hare would - at present anyway - . Plus we have Mile back into the side after a long spell out. We have Taylor back from his suspension, and largely speaking I think we're in more than good enough order personnel wise that we should expect point accumulation to continue. Sunderland are shit, so are Ipswich. 4 points would be disappointing, this is one of those binary instances, where we get the points or it's a poor effort, we'd have to have multiple red cards and reffing injustices to tolerate less than wins at home in our next two matches for instance.

edit - forgot to mention Grealish is now back as an option too.

Edited by Rodders
  • Like 1

Not sure if I fancy Samba for three games in 7 days to be fair. Proper scuppered if Davis gets a knock as well. There is currently no depth/plan B for striking is there? 

It was a cack-handed way of giving Bruce almost a free pass this week. If other are more comfortable about the current situation, fair play. I'm a bit nervous is all.

No Samba - elphick can survive a game or two, as could de laet at centre back, no Davis, could then give O'hare a bigger role, but also push Adomah up there, bring grealish or hourihane further forward with lansbury coming in to the middle. :) Blimey, I forgot about Andre Green! :blush: ok he's out a bit longer

I think our squad can cope with a couple more injuries if we had to, if we suffer more than that, then ok, we're in a crisis, but not much we can do about that, I don't like buying players for one or two possible contingencies - would rather be positive about a couple of the youngsters having a great opportunity for a week or so.

Edited by Rodders
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, KHV said:

Without Gareth Bale he would have been just as shit as Wales manager as he has been throughout the rest of his managerial career. Apart from a half decent period at Fulham he has been bobbins everywhere he has been.

Still, he got them to the Semis with a pretty naff squad Bale and Ramsey aside - further than a lot of nations with far better players. Anyways, I'm not saying he's a world beater but he isn't a terrible manager and I just feel our game has got harder. Still expecting a win, however. 

Coleman took the Sunderland job because it was likely much more pay, and Coleman knows that just getting this Sunderland squad to safety will be deemed a success. Sunderland have a squad that can escape relegation. When you look at the teams around sunderland, they should be above them. 

Coleman probably sees this as a way to get his career moving. I'm sure he would have loved to get a premier league offer, but how many premier league clubs are willing to let Wales manager take charge of their club? Championship is likely the best starting point for Coleman. 

2 hours ago, Raver50032 said:

Not sure if I fancy Samba for three games in 7 days to be fair. Proper scuppered if Davis gets a knock as well. There is currently no depth/plan B for striking is there? 

It was a cack-handed way of giving Bruce almost a free pass this week. If other are more comfortable about the current situation, fair play. I'm a bit nervous is all.

Jedi acquitted himself well there last season.  I'd have him ahead of Samba / Elphick.  We have plenty of midfield options so he isn't absolutely needed there.

Surely many of our players are just back from a break? I can understand an old fella like Samba needing a break, but the young guys, surely not?

Getting O'Hare squeezed in, with his energy, possibly in lieu of Snodgrass, might be an idea. Grealish off the bench to conserve someone else.

Jedinak or Doyle-Hayes for Samba. Lyden possibly for Whelan.

Bjarnasson in the stands.

1 hour ago, Czechlad said:

Since it's a quick turnaround, we need to rotate a few players. I'm iffy on Snodgrass with the rib injury. 3 matches in 7 could break him. O'hare is an option as well. 

c2c3cdbdad0efe9d1152fba4f602d288.png

Not bad that, but I would have O'Hare in lieu of Grealish.

8 hours ago, omariqy said:

I know we were impressive against qpr but I would definitely think about making some changes to freshen us up. 

Totally agree. He needs to freshen it up. Personally tomorrow night, I'd go with grealish behind davis and Onomah for whelan. 

Sunderland boss Chris Coleman dealt major blow ahead of Aston Villa showdown

Chris Coleman will take charge of his first Sunderland game against Aston Villa tomorrow night without SEVEN key players.

Sunderland are looking for their first win since August in what will be Coleman’s dugout debut following his decision to leave Wales for the Championship’s basement side.

But the Black Cats won’t have it easy against Steve Bruce’s promotion chasers and will be forced into several changes from their weekend draw with Millwall. 

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/sunderland-chris-coleman-aston-villa-13929683 

I'd play

Johnstone

Hutton---Chester---Samba---Taylor

Snodgrass---Whelan---Hourihane---Onomah---Adomah

Davis

And I'd like to see Grealish and O'Hare come on to attack their tired legs and Jedinak to keep the predicted (My me) solidity in the middle to give them no chance.

Hopefully, we get a couple of early goals and keep the pressure up on them all game.

I shall say 3-0 Villa :flag:with the first two coming in the first twenty minutes and the third coming in the second half.

tenor.gif

1 hour ago, 8pints said:

I'd play

Johnstone

Hutton---Chester---Samba---Taylor

Snodgrass---Whelan---Hourihane---Onomah---Adomah

Davis

And I'd like to see Grealish and O'Hare come on to attack their tired legs and Jedinak to keep the predicted (My me) solidity in the middle to give them no chance.

Hopefully, we get a couple of early goals and keep the pressure up on them all game.

I shall say 3-0 Villa :flag:with the first two coming in the first twenty minutes and the third coming in the second half.

tenor.gif

That lineup looks very familiar ;)

I agree with it and the scoreline! 

• Haha 1