Website design (Wix)

jackbauer24

Does anyone have any experience with wix? I've done plenty of copy and design work before but it's all been within the constraints of an already set up website.

Me and the, now fiancée I suppose, are getting married and want to create a website. I've now done 90% of this on wix largely using their templates but tailoring it quite heavily. However I just can't seem to get it to look 'even'. The site is made up of several 'strips' as wix calls them and when I edit them in the editor they are evenly spaced, however when I click preview they show as overlapping in parts/ picture slips. I understood Wix was a WYSIWYG editor but I'm not finding this. Does anyone have any ideas as to where I'm going wrong?!

I've attached a picture to show what I mean - the gold line (which is the background for the whole site) will eventually replaced by white but it's just to get an idea of where everything is. So confused...

wix.png

If you'd have asked before you started I'd have suggested Squarespace.

While I can understand the desire to make it look the same, you don't control the client device. You don't know what size the user has set their fonts too, nor the zoom level, nor the width (physical and virtual) of their device. Let alone the colour mapping. Are you sure you don't have more important things to be arranging? Or is that the point of this? :detect::mrgreen::lol:

I hope you can find someone that knows how to tweak wix. You probably just need to crop the background image to the right shape.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, limpid said:

If you'd have asked before you started I'd have suggested Squarespace.

While I can understand the desire to make it look the same, you don't control the client device. You don't know what size the user has set their fonts too, nor the zoom level, nor the width (physical and virtual) of their device. Let alone the colour mapping. Are you sure you don't have more important things to be arranging? Or is that the point of this:detect::mrgreen::lol:

I hope you can find someone that knows how to tweak wix. You probably just need to crop the background image to the right shape.

Ha ha, fair point!! But actually the wedding is over a year away (July 2019) so plenty of time. It's just this one job that needs doing to tie in with Save The Date cards going out then I can forget about it all til April/May time.

There seemed to be little in the way of drag and drop website other than the GoDaddy and Wix of this world but I obviously didn't do my research properly. I'm not tied in to Wix yet though so if I can't find a solution maybe I'll try Squarespace, just don't fancy starting again particularly.

EDIT: nope, Squarespace costs way too much just to tell people where our wedding is etc!! :D

Edited by jackbauer24

@jackbauer24 try resizing/reshaping the photo to roughly the same picture as on the cards before you upload it (if the builtin tools aren't good enough). There are websites that can do this if you don't have local image manipulation software.

1 minute ago, limpid said:

@jackbauer24 try resizing/reshaping the photo to roughly the same picture as on the cards before you upload it (if the builtin tools aren't good enough). There are websites that can do this if you don't have local image manipulation software.

I thought of that but I removed the photo completely and replaced it with one of their generic colour swatches and it still does the same thing just to see if I could work out what was going on. It makes no sense.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, jackbauer24 said:

I thought of that but I removed the photo completely and replaced it with one of their generic colour swatches and it still does the same thing just to see if I could work out what was going on. It makes no sense.

That would have been too easy :) Sorry I can't help more. If there is a way to get to the CSS for the template you are using you'll be able to find a web designer who can help (a quick Google suggests that you can't). Hopefully someone knows wix...

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, limpid said:

That would have been too easy :) Sorry I can't help more. If there is a way to get to the CSS for the template you are using you'll be able to find a web designer who can help (a quick Google suggests that you can't). Hopefully someone knows wix...

Ok, this is just weird. I did that process again. I put a colour band in instead... and it worked. Progress! So then I put the picture back in... and it's still working!!! Eh? I didn't change anything! Ah, who cares. Job done!!

Cheers mate!

On ‎14‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 18:00, limpid said:

Ive never used it but you can normally access the css from developer tools within your browser. I normally use firefox for that purpose and debugging. 

Untitled-2.jpg

Edited by PaulC

3 hours ago, PaulC said:

Ive never used it but you can normally access the css from developer tools within your browser. I normally use firefox for that purpose and debugging. 

Untitled-2.jpg

That's not going to allow him to edit them though.

It might be possible to copy and paste the css into a  web editor, make the changes then ftp it to the server replacing the original but maybe wix wont allow you to do that. I only use Dreamweaver so I have no idea what you can and cant do in Wix

Â