Pre-Match Thread

Raver50032

1 minute ago, BOF said:

Kodjia is injured.  Broke down on intl. duty and could be out for some time (ankle).  Hogan out too.  Leaving us light up front.

Well that's just f**king great.

Just a joke how much bad luck we have. But look at the bright side...samba up front :(

For me it now has to be davis up top with hourihane behind or even grealish.

I think lansbury or onomah could even do excellently in the whole. My main concern though is that davis holds it up for the striker so this would mean who ever plays in the hole has to be ready to go forward. Thats why i think hourihane or onomah would probably be best bets in my opinion as both like getting forward and shown they know where back of net is 

I am massively concerned as i think we are going to badly struggle for goals

As for our prospects.  Even before the injury to Terry & Kodjia I was a little wary of QPR.  They've beaten Wolves & Sheff Utd in their last 2 home games.  They seem a very up and down side (they couldn't beat Sunderland).  They do tend to out-possess sides which is a positive for us, and they take the 2nd most amount of shots on goal per game in the league so Johnstone will earn his corn.  Given our likely line-up and that they're 4th in the league at home, I think I'd take a draw now.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, rubberman said:

I do hope Bruce can come up with something other than Samba up front as a plan B / if Kienan gets a knock.  Is there anyone left? (apart from Gabby, obv.)

No-one senior & proven.  O'Hare can play up front.  Snodgrass' goal tally suggests he mightn't be a disaster either.  Dunno if RHM is fit.  So yeah that's an experiment (Keinan knock) that I don't want to see playing out.

We havent been able to rely on our forwards for goals all season, so I wouldn't start panicking just yet.

I agree it puts a lot of pressure on Davis to play well every week and stay fit, but beyond that we've got plenty of goals in midfield to keep us going - especially with Grealish back and O'Hare reminding us he can be called upon too.

• Like 1

No excuses for a draw at least. But we need 3pts

We have Davis to bring people into play.

Even Gab can be a nuisance up front.

So we need our „second row“ to be productive. Our 2nd row pool of players are

CH JG CO‘H Adomah Onomah Lansbury & Elmo.

If we go Whelan & Jedi (even jetlagged) as DM‘s and Davis up top (even Gaby as a sub or Davis gets injured). to pick 3 from those 7 with an intent to score, is not difficult. If the „injury list“ is just an excuse for Bruce, then we are definately F***ed and definately wont even make the top 6.

SJ

Bree Chester RDL Taylor

Whelan Jedi

Elmo Hourihane Adomah

Davis

Subs Steer Elphick/Hutton (oh dear) Samba (oh F******* dear) Onomah Grealish O‘Hare Gaby

* I‘m presuming Snod Lansbury & Kodjia are all out for this game

** Even if Bruce goes

Hutton Chester Samba Taylor

There‘s enough in front of those 4 to keep the ball away from our goal and score 1 or 2

Edited by Grasshopper

My formation..

SJ

Bree      Chester   Samba   Taylor

Whelan 

Elmo     Hourihane     Adomah

O'Hare

Davis

We really are down to bare bones now, especially with Jedi not going to be fit.

1 hour ago, BOF said:

As for our prospects.  Even before the injury to Terry & Kodjia I was a little wary of QPR.  They've beaten Wolves & Sheff Utd in their last 2 home games.  They seem a very up and down side (they couldn't beat Sunderland).  They do tend to out-possess sides which is a positive for us, and they take the 2nd most amount of shots on goal per game in the league so Johnstone will earn his corn.  Given our likely line-up and that they're 4th in the league at home, I think I'd take a draw now.

Totally agree. It was always gonna be a tough game but with our injuries I would be very happy with a draw. Need to then win the next two home games because December is going to be ugly.

Well, the chickens have come home to roost for me, remember Bruce a few weeks ago in press conferences about how the going is about to get tough, injuries are coming, squads will define the hard slog of winter?

Injuries to Kodjia, Hogan, RHM, Agbonlahor leaving Davis as the only available striker with McCormack away on loan.

Lets hope the Twitter thing above is about McCormack getting recalled and not him disappearing again. Not sure what the international loan situation is but Tshibola for instance can't play for us until january because MKDons still hold the registration until then, right? Can't exactly remember what happened with Cissokho when we recalled him from Porto after Amavi's injury but I think the same applied then too. 

As others have said it's hardly as if the forwards have been banging the goals in for us anyway so hopefully, like @Grasshopper said above the supporting players can step up and in the cases of Adomah and Hourihane in particular, keep doing what they've been doing.

But the point is, with Terry out too and Jedinak returning from his (heroic) round the world trip, Snodgrass nursing a broken rib, Green sidelined and with Lansbury and Grealish on their way back to fitness along with Jedinak It's time to see how good this squad is. And time for Bruce's own point about the squad seeing us through to prove itself. Like GH says, no excuses in the injury list.

I dont hold the same fears as everyone re; Samba. I know he's slow is an understatement but he's a lump of a man and that's still worth something in the championship for me. He isn't going to be our saviour but he isn't the liability Elphick or Richards are. Also he should be fired up for a game against QPR and on a high after his first goal for us. Taylor came through 90 mins for Wales the other day so his match fitness isn't an issue. Time to see him back imo. If Snodgrass is still out I can see Bruce pushing Elmo forward and switching Hutton to RB to accommodate Taylor's return. Be interesting to see if he throws Jedinak straight in. He'll certainly be on a high after his midweek exploits. Assuming Adomah and Davis are nailed on to start it's really the only question for me - Who will make up the central 3? Hourihane - Whelan - Jedinak with O'Hare and Grealish on the bench sounds pretty Bruce like to me. Genuinely interesting line up announcement though come 2pm tomorrow. 

Also came to say that QPR are a different proposition at home than away but I see @BOF is already in there. I can't see any reason why we shouldn't be looking for 3 wins in the next 3 games. Ipswich may well be flying high but I think this is the hardest of the 3. 7-9 points will do me, 4-6 and I'll keep thinking play offs are where we are headed, 0-3 and the wheels are coming off.

One thing is for sure, whatever the outcome, we'd all love to put one over on Holloway (again - and for ever) so maybe VT has got something we can bond together over again. If only for a day. :D

• Like 3

On 11/6/2017 at 09:12, Czechlad said:

Grealish and O'Hare came on last match and completely changed the game. I think they deserve a start. 

96e58c07e84f92d8f485e88fe352ce5c.png

Still think this is our best option, but just swap Davis for Kodjia. The three behind Davis can all interchange throughout the match to cause havoc.

I'd also rather give McKirdy a chance as a sub instead of lumping it to Samba.