Ratings & Reactions: Villa v Sheff Wed

limpid

Match Polls  

77 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your man of the match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 11/11/17 at 15:00

4 hours ago, TRO said:

Our tactics good, bad or indifferent....rely on players imposing themselves on their opponent.....too many of them didn't.

Their goal was a worldy, but i still think he was left with too much space, which was in part down to our players not closing down or denying space.....our positioning was suspect imo.

Also ,If  your 2 wingers are contributing very little, it puts too much pressure on the centre 2 and forwards are starved of service.He should have changed that earlier.

I believe,Tactics alone cannot negate poor individual performance in too many players.Tactics won't bail a player out from poor play, it may help, but that all.

We never heard tactics referred to quite so much, it was just that so and so had a poor game or too many today not at it.....I accept i am probably a dinasaur fan and I accept tactics is a big part of the modern game......I just think it is sometimes over used to cover all ills.

ps if we have to play 5 in midfield the players are not good enough.

I have to agree with you, TRO.

Maybe we do put too much emphasis on tactics? Tactics are great. By saying or thinking what we need to do to beat those other bastards makes us sound like we are unbeatable, and in a perfect Disney produced sunshine and lollipop world where all eleven players are on their game, I guess we would be. But that is not reality, that is just ridiculousness. Football is not played by robots or on paper. It is played with weak, dumbass humans, who get little niggles, fights with their other halves, get bored, and feel indecisive how they want to spend their money. This is when the team comes in. If a player is not up to it, either the team covers for him, or he gets hooked.

Whether we are at the game, or watching on our tellies, laptops, phones, from the comfort of our seats, our armchairs, bedrooms, barstools, or toilets, it is very easy to see what we should do. It is also easy to say what we should do. We are under no pressure. However, for those clowns on the pitch, the thought process is very different. They don't have the advantage of an aerial view or even slo mo replay. They just react to what they see and what happens in their immediate 15 metre radius.

Yep, tactics are great. But once you add the x factor of the human element, it all pretty much goes to pot.

1 hour ago, reykjavik said:

If you don't like my posts, don't read it. It's not hard.

Well why create many polls?  These polls are good except sometimes it is more appropriate to select none of above.

As admin, I don't have a lot of choice about reading your posts :rolleyes:

At the end of the season when the player of the year trophy is awarded to "none of the above", what do we do? If you think all the players were equally dreadful, then give it to the one who tried slightly harder or had a nice beard. Or don't vote.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, reykjavik said:

Is there really no place for Birki Bjarnason?

How many Villa players played in EC 2016?

How many Villa players will play in World Cup 2018?

How many current Villa players have played in a European Cup? Champions League? In top club in first division?

Why was Birkir bought?  Please do not bring  excuses like the English Championship league is something so special. I'm also watching games in 2nd Bundesliga and if anything, it is just better and stronger.

English soccer or Championship league is so special, is not an excuse.

Whilst I know Bjarnasson performs for Iceland, he is one of the worst players I have ever seen pull on an Aston Villa shirt.

Bruce doesn't pick him because every time he's done so in the past he has looked like a competition winner having a lovely day out.

He is absolutely garbage.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, AJ said:

Maybe we do put too much emphasis on tactics? Tactics are great. By saying or thinking what we need to do to beat those other bastards makes us sound like we are unbeatable, and in a perfect Disney produced sunshine and lollipop world where all eleven players are on their game, I guess we would be. But that is not reality, that is just ridiculousness. Football is not played by robots or on paper. It is played with weak, dumbass humans, who get little niggles, fights with their other halves, get bored, and feel indecisive how they want to spend their money. This is when the team comes in. If a player is not up to it, either the team covers for him, or he gets hooked.

Whether we are at the game, or watching on our tellies, laptops, phones, from the comfort of our seats, our armchairs, bedrooms, barstools, or toilets, it is very easy to see what we should do. It is also easy to say what we should do. We are under no pressure. However, for those clowns on the pitch, the thought process is very different. They don't have the advantage of an aerial view or even slo mo replay. They just react to what they see and what happens in their immediate 15 metre radius.

Yep, tactics are great. But once you add the x factor of the human element, it all pretty much goes to pot.

Haha......spot on.

i once said to Graham Taylor " why don't they do this that or the other" he said what you have just said.....they are human, they don't always do as they are told, they lose concentration( less so in the best players)

there are so many factors why things don't go our way....its not easy, albeit frustrating.

I once had a conversation with Tony Barton and asked why Andy blair doesn't play enough Imo......He immediately replied ..i pick him, he gives me 3 games and loses form and i have to leave him out....we have talked about it.....i need players who can give me a performance.

These guys know more than we do, they see the players everyday, we just see 90 + minutes.

we have to trust their judgment.....until its clear the management have no more trust for it.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, 8pints said:

Yeah, I was once talking to Peter Withe and he said "Can you move out my way, big lad?"

tumblr_ojx1niVpti1vbcnq8o1_500.gif

It was probably the hair.

who was you playing for?:)

• Haha 1

On 05/11/2017 at 21:46, AJ said:

But at my job at BAD ANALOGY INC, I would get in trouble if I MINOR INDISCRETION THAT HAS LED ME TO DESPISE A PLAYER! They get paid ARBITRARY AMOUNT OF MONEY THAT IS A LOT MORE THAN WHAT I MAKE! 

4 hours ago, lexicon said:

But at my job at BAD ANALOGY INC, I would get in trouble if I MINOR INDISCRETION THAT HAS LED ME TO DESPISE A PLAYER! They get paid ARBITRARY AMOUNT OF MONEY THAT IS A LOT MORE THAN WHAT I MAKE! 

An apple a day might keep the doctor away ( especially if you hit him right between the eyes with it), but more money doesn't necessarily prevent a visit from Mr Cockup.

No matter how much anyone is paid, they are still humans with human problems and human judgement.

The bad analogy industry never paid that well anyway. That's why I quit and sought out a career in the  booming prosthetic nipples industry.

On 11/5/2017 at 21:30, Stevo985 said:

Whilst I know Bjarnasson performs for Iceland, he is one of the worst players I have ever seen pull on an Aston Villa shirt.

Bruce doesn't pick him because every time he's done so in the past he has looked like a competition winner having a lovely day out.

He is absolutely garbage.

Well then he should be on the transfer list.
Status Quo is not an option for Bjarnason.

Â