Ratings & Reactions: Villa v Sheff Wed

limpid

Match Polls  

77 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your man of the match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 11/11/17 at 15:00

Frustrating day from the off. As others have mentioned, unbelievable strike for their goal, but blatant foul on Terry when the ball was lumped forward. Second goal was awful defending and no excuse there. A miserable first half culminated in the clearing in the woods next to me declaring “Bruce out! Garbage garbage garbage!” I have a season ticket and had to move to another seat after 30mins to get away from him. 

Second half we huffed and puffed and deserved a goal.

Hogan really worries me. Was a massive opportunity for him to show what he’s capable of and he flopped. Can’t believe he scored as many as he did for Brentford. Never looks like scoring or contributing in any way.

massive test for us now without JT. Really don’t fancy our chances with Samba filling in

• Like 1

Our tactics made Wednesday's CBs look like world beaters. Whenever the ball was lumped up to Davis, he was closely fenced by at least 3 defenders. He was closed down quite easily.

This should be addressed. Either he moves more and the ball is kept on the ground, or we present another option than using the tactic of just lumping the ball up to him. If we are just going to use the tactic of just lumping the ball up to him while he is heavily marked, then that is just pointless and wasteful.

If he draws in 3 defenders at least to mark him, then why not use that? There has got to be some space somewhere, so maybe we need another option up front? From what I saw last night, Hogan is not that option. We either need Kodj back, a new striker in January, or maybe even shift Albert or Snoddy up front.

Here also ends the wonder of a Davis/ Hogan partnership. It only half works. That was Hogan's best chance, and he did nothing with it. Sell in January.

Formation, tactics and team selection was all wrong from sb for this one imo. Weds are a good side and we struggle in midfield against better sides.

No accounting for the 1st goal but having samba as our 3rd choice cb cost us - he really isnt up to it and we need a better option.

Snodgrass clearly wasnt fit and should not have played.  A few others on the pitch were also clearly tired after the 2 games earlier this week.  Its not as though we dont have some option particularly at fullback and in midfield to rotate and not doing so cost us today.

Not having a plan b also cost us.

Hogan clearly isnt happy or settled here and i cant blame him with the way sb has treated him. But i said at the start of the season we needed another striker and it was evident today that is still the case.

Sb took some silly risks with this one which i dont believe he needed to and as a result we lost.  I think today is mostly on him as the majority of the players who had bad games looked exhausted and that would have been apparent in training but he played them anyway.  Whats the point of a  squad if you are not going to use it when playing 3 in 7 days?

• Like 1

An all round bad day at the office, compounded by JT's injury. We are going to be really up against it until the new year now. Only positive is two weeks off for Kodjia and Jack to get fully fit and the rest to recharge.

Hahaha! Only just (Sunday mid morning) realised that we scored. I left after the disallowed goal.  Didn't hear another cheer when walking away so it must have been a very muted response from the crowd. 

17 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

I'm with you on Davis and Hourihane, I thought they worked their socks off.

Incidentally, I can't remember a game two goals where two goals have  been so far apart - one after 17 seconds and one after 95 minutes.

apart from the one in the middle of them, I agree :-) 

I know what you are trying to say though :-)

This was a game where the result matched our performance. We’ve been getting away with good results from relatively turgid performances. Never really troubled their keeper, not sure what coaching goes on at Bodymoor, most teams we play seem to move the ball smoother and quicker than we do. Still not sure Bruce is the man to sustain a promotion push. Hope I’m wrong.

• Like 2

ok, everyone can be unlucky in first minute. But what did we after that? We were at home and WE HAD 89 MINUTES TO DO SOMETHING. What is going on to this team?

Nothing

Then they scored 0-2. What was the defense doing? Nothing.

What did we do after 0-2? nothing

What does Steve Bruce in halftime?  Nothing?

There was nothing happening in this game. Players played terribly, did not know where to go. It is no sympathy in this team. No one is playing together as a team. Only eleven individuals like eleven single teams.

Is there really no place for Birki Bjarnason?

How many Villa players played in EC 2016?

How many Villa players will play in World Cup 2018?

How many current Villa players have played in a European Cup? Champions League? In top club in first division?

Why was Birkir bought?  Please do not bring  excuses like the English Championship league is something so special. I'm also watching games in 2nd Bundesliga and if anything, it is just better and stronger.

English soccer or Championship league is so special, is not an excuse.

What is going on Steve Bruce?

How do you see Steve Bruce motivate players in the play-offs?

How in hell is Steve Bruce unable to get us a decent defence?  It is not enough to have one great defender.   Was Steve Bruce not Centre-back? 

21 hours ago, PieFacE said:

Yeah, Bruceball in full effect there. I hate us playing 442 and do not understand the fascination with fans wanting us to play it. We always look so much better with a 3 man midfield as it gives the wingers more license to go forward. I really don't think Hogan and Davis worked well together, in fact Samba was a better striker than Hogan. Time to get rid of Hogan, in the interest of both parties.

Jack looked good when he came on, about the only positive I can think of. 

4-3-3 at home

4-2-3-1away

generally thats what i would look to.

17 hours ago, AJ said:

Our tactics made Wednesday's CBs look like world beaters. Whenever the ball was lumped up to Davis, he was closely fenced by at least 3 defenders. He was closed down quite easily.

This should be addressed. Either he moves more and the ball is kept on the ground, or we present another option than using the tactic of just lumping the ball up to him. If we are just going to use the tactic of just lumping the ball up to him while he is heavily marked, then that is just pointless and wasteful.

If he draws in 3 defenders at least to mark him, then why not use that? There has got to be some space somewhere, so maybe we need another option up front? From what I saw last night, Hogan is not that option. We either need Kodj back, a new striker in January, or maybe even shift Albert or Snoddy up front.

Here also ends the wonder of a Davis/ Hogan partnership. It only half works. That was Hogan's best chance, and he did nothing with it. Sell in January.

Our tactics good, bad or indifferent....rely on players imposing themselves on their opponent.....too many of them didn't.

Their goal was a worldy, but i still think he was left with too much space, which was in part down to our players not closing down or denying space.....our positioning was suspect imo.

Also ,If  your 2 wingers are contributing very little, it puts too much pressure on the centre 2 and forwards are starved of service.He should have changed that earlier.

I believe,Tactics alone cannot negate poor individual performance in too many players.Tactics won't bail a player out from poor play, it may help, but that all.

We never heard tactics referred to quite so much, it was just that so and so had a poor game or too many today not at it.....I accept i am probably a dinasaur fan and I accept tactics is a big part of the modern game......I just think it is sometimes over used to cover all ills.

ps if we have to play 5 in midfield the players are not good enough.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 2

57 minutes ago, reykjavik said:

ok, everyone can be unlucky in first minute. But what did we after that? We were at home and WE HAD 89 MINUTES TO DO SOMETHING. What is going on to this team?

Nothing

Then they scored 0-2. What was the defense doing? Nothing.

What did we do after 0-2? nothing

What does Steve Bruce in halftime?  Nothing?

There was nothing happening in this game. Players played terribly, did not know where to go. It is no sympathy in this team. No one is playing together as a team. Only eleven individuals like eleven single teams.

Is there really no place for Birki Bjarnason?

How many Villa players played in EC 2016?

How many Villa players will play in World Cup 2018?

How many current Villa players have played in a European Cup? Champions League? In top club in first division?

Why was Birkir bought?  Please do not bring  excuses like the English Championship league is something so special. I'm also watching games in 2nd Bundesliga and if anything, it is just better and stronger.

English soccer or Championship league is so special, is not an excuse.

What is going on Steve Bruce?

How do you see Steve Bruce motivate players in the play-offs?

How in hell is Steve Bruce unable to get us a decent defence?  It is not enough to have one great defender.   Was Steve Bruce not Centre-back? 

1- Bjaranason has not done a lot so far at Villa. There have been better players ahead of him in the pecking order. He is going to be a squad filler and given our knack of getting injuries he will be getting game time soon. 

2- Until yesterday we have been on a good run so I would give Bruce the  benefit of the doubt

3- Bruce has had 2 promotions from the play offs, with arguably worse teams than this season's vintage.  I think that shows he can motivate players.

4- We have a good defence. In fact we had one of the best defences last year less Terry in the league anyway- our main problem then was scoring the goals.

1 hour ago, The Fun Factory said:

1- Bjaranason has not done a lot so far at Villa. There have been better players ahead of him in the pecking order. He is going to be a squad filler and given our knack of getting injuries he will be getting game time soon. 

2- Until yesterday we have been on a good run so I would give Bruce the  benefit of the doubt

3- Bruce has had 2 promotions from the play offs, with arguably worse teams than this season's vintage.  I think that shows he can motivate players.

4- We have a good defence. In fact we had one of the best defences last year less Terry in the league anyway- our main problem then was scoring the goals.

Thank you for a good answer.

1.  He has not played well for Villa but had Bruce give him some decent chances?  He is go good to be a squad filler.  I don't think Bruce knows what he is capable of doing.

2.  Agree, but Bruce has never plan B.  He has no idea what subs can chance a game.

3.  Are satisfied how the team is playing?  Is he running out of gas now?

4.  Sometimes our defence looks like a strainer, like in goal number two.  If he need someone who can score a goal, he should give Bjarnason some chances.  He can scores but as a midfielder.

But the main issues is of course, the team is not playing well. decent football, (not why Bjarnason is not the key player). 

But does Bruce know this fact.

Birkir Bjarnason recently scored against Turkey in Turkey in a great and safe victory.  So it is easy to motivate him.

5 minutes ago, reykjavik said:

Well one option like, none of above is easy to add.

Fortunately most of the game someone deserve to be man of the match.  In this case, in my opinion, none.

If you don't like this poll, don't use it. If you want a poll with different options, create it. It's not hard.

8 minutes ago, limpid said:

If you don't like this poll, don't use it. If you want a poll with different options, create it. It's not hard.

If you don't like my posts, don't read it. It's not hard.

Well why create many polls?  These polls are good except sometimes it is more appropriate to select none of above.

• Like 1

Â