Paris

Stevo985

I'm off to Paris next week for a couple of days.

We're only doing two nights (Sunday to Tuesday) so we'll only have one full day.

But some recommendations for restaurants, bars and things to do would be very welcome. I'm sure we'd manage on the things to do front by doing the usual stuff, but any little gems would be welcome.

We're staying very centrally so should have good access to most things.

I actually like Paris - expensive but always loads to see and do , if it wasn't for the French it would be perfect :) 

try and avoid eating and drinking near the main attractions .. think it was €15 for a pint of beer near the Champs Elysees and about 6 Euro for a coffee by Notre Dame last time I was there !!

Not sure I can offer you any hidden gems , just stat the obvious Eiffel Tower , Louvre and Notre Dame etc

if you do the Eiffel tower you can then take a boat down the river to Notre Dame which is quite a good way of doing it (but chilly this time of year)

you can get a travel card and run around on the metro and see a lot of stuff , there is a Pyramid at Pyramid station , tbh it's not really worth the journey but if your passing you may as well get off and tick it off the list

Belleville  could be worth a visit , its a sort of Chinatown / Asian area that is quite arty ..and it's near where Jim Morrison is buried if that's your bag and you want to see the famous cemetery

something a bit different would be the Paris sewer system museum , but again not everyone's thing

• Like 1

Cheers, can always count on you @tonyh29

As we're only there for a short time we'll probably just stick to the obvious stuff. But will try to steer clear of expensive restaurants and bars.

A chap I work with is from Paris so I'll pick his brains for a few restaurants and bars to try out.

Was in port maillot a couple of weeks ago. Not far from the arc de triomphe. Loads of restaurants and bars in that area. Went in a Thai, an Italian and a French restaurant and all were good. Didn’t get any sightseeing time as was working, but it’s not exactly short of attractions. 

• Like 1

Crazy Horse Saloon.  Awesome night out with a meal, and a bit of burlesque dancing.  Well worth a visit and if you're lucky you might get a celebrity, as Dita von Teese and Pamela Anderson have performed there in the past  - http://www.lecrazyhorseparis.com/en/homepage/

Le Batofar.   We went there for the launch of a hip-hop album.  It's a converted lighthouse boat that has been brought onto the Seine and moored up.  They have all sorts there all day and night.  It's worth a visit even if only for the novelty - http://www.batofar.fr/

Finally, the catacombs.  I've never made it down there as the queue was always massive cos I was late out of bed.  Really want to do it as it's supposed to be incredible.

• Like 1

On 03/11/2017 at 15:14, tonyh29 said:

Belleville  could be worth a visit , its a sort of Chinatown / Asian area that is quite arty ..and it's near where Jim Morrison is buried if that's your bag and you want to see the famous cemetery

I'll second that.  Pere Lachaise is the cemetery and it's a fascinating walk about.  The Jim Morrison grave is somewhat disappointing, and from memory I think it's been made smaller or something.

Agree with the Montmartre sentiment too.  Great area.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Cheers for the recommendations. We had a great time. Didn't get to do everything. 

I had Montmatre penned in but the Eiffel tower took way longer than expected so it had to be sacrificed. Did all the big stuff: Eiffel tower, Arc de Triumph, Champs Elysses, Louvre and gardens, Notre Dame, few other churches and palaces.

We missed out on the catacombs. We both really wanted to do that but it's closed on a Monday which we didn't realise until it was too late. Considered doing it on Tuesday before our flight but couldn't really squeeze it in. Save it for next time.

I echo the sentiments about how expensive it is. Some places were insanely priced. The only bar we went to near a main attraction was a bar by the Louvre, and that was just because it was raining and we were soaked, freezing and knackered so we just wanted to be in the warm. 
But a beer and a gin and tonic set us back 28 euro in there :crylaugh: 

Found a cafe fairly close to the Eiffel tower that was actually very reasonable though.

We stayed in Opera which is a decent area for bars and restaurants if anyone's going in future. Grand Boulevard is the main street there but generally the bars and restaurant on the backstreets around that area are better and more reasonably priced.

• Like 2

Opera and east Paris is my favourite part. There is a great food market near there called Aligre market and a great wine bar next door called the Red Baron (with good wines for a few euros a glass) as well as good coffee shops etc. The last time I went to Paris I was visiting  friend and just hung out over the east side the whole time.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Been twice. It helps that MrsT speaks French. We both love French food 

Stayed in Monmatre both times, that's where you get the best views as highest point in Paris ,the square where the artists are is amazing. They are not there all year so plan your time. Also even though it sounds odd, the cemetery there is worth a visit

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/15/2017 at 09:46, Stevo985 said:

Cheers for the recommendations. We had a great time. Didn't get to do everything. 

I had Montmatre penned in but the Eiffel tower took way longer than expected so it had to be sacrificed. Did all the big stuff: Eiffel tower, Arc de Triumph, Champs Elysses, Louvre and gardens, Notre Dame, few other churches and palaces.

We missed out on the catacombs. We both really wanted to do that but it's closed on a Monday which we didn't realise until it was too late. Considered doing it on Tuesday before our flight but couldn't really squeeze it in. Save it for next time.

I echo the sentiments about how expensive it is. Some places were insanely priced. The only bar we went to near a main attraction was a bar by the Louvre, and that was just because it was raining and we were soaked, freezing and knackered so we just wanted to be in the warm. 
But a beer and a gin and tonic set us back 28 euro in there :crylaugh: 

Found a cafe fairly close to the Eiffel tower that was actually very reasonable though.

We stayed in Opera which is a decent area for bars and restaurants if anyone's going in future. Grand Boulevard is the main street there but generally the bars and restaurant on the backstreets around that area are better and more reasonably priced.

you really didnt miss much...one of the bigger disappointments of paris IMO

• Like 1

• 8 months later...

Help fellow VTs. I've booked a last minute 4 days with the family.

Last minute suggestions to check out? Apart from the obvious Eiffel/Louvre/Notredam/Arc/

9 hours ago, NurembergVillan said:

What age are the family members?  Any particular interests?

15 and 17. Music would be common theme i think. Anything goes really. Spent the first day eating and climbing the Arc. Spectacular view, and cold as F

11 minutes ago, Tegis said:

15 and 17. Music would be common theme i think. Anything goes really. Spent the first day eating and climbing the Arc. Spectacular view, and cold as F

Too young for my boozy suggestions!

If they like The Doors, then Jim Morrison's grave is worth a visit.  I've never done the catacombs as I always get there too late, but that could be ace right before Halloween.

http://www.catacombes.paris.fr/en/catacombs

The origin of the Paris Catacombs

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

just seen this so probably useless now and might not have appealed to your young family, but Versailles should be a must do for anyone going to paris. amazing palace and HUGE gardens that is very pleasant to spend a day walking around (but takes up most of a day)

thought catacombs was a bit meh and certainly not worth me getting dragged out of bed at 6.30am to go and see...but kids would probably find it fascinating

Â