England v Brazil England v Germany

andykeenan

Positives: Loftus-Cheek and Pickford were very good. Vardy looked like a useful nuisance. Defence held up (mostly) well and three at the back seems like a better system. 

Negatives: Abraham is not at this level yet. Livermore and Cork will never be at this level. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, HanoiVillan said:

Positives: Loftus-Cheek and Pickford were very good. Vardy looked like a useful nuisance. Defence held up (mostly) well and three at the back seems like a better system. 

Negatives: Abraham is not at this level yet. Livermore and Cork will never be at this level. 

I thought Abraham took his chance well, looked lively, got stuck in. A little unlucky not to score and to get subbed but I think Southgate was protecting him by taking him off. His work rate and effort was top notch  while he was on the pitch. I liked him, an exciting prospect but I agree, not quite there yet but I think he will get there with more game time. 

6 minutes ago, Ingram85 said:

I thought Abraham took his chance well, looked lively, got stuck in. A little unlucky not to score and to get subbed but I think Southgate was protecting him by taking him off. His work rate and effort was top notch  while he was on the pitch. I liked him, an exciting prospect but I agree, not quite there yet but I think he will get there with more game time. 

I like him, don't get me wrong, but I didn't think he was very good, with a few poor touches. Think next summer will be too soon for him; lucky main striker is not a position we're struggling for options in. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, PaulC said:

There were chances at both ends but I found the match a little uninspiring really. Guess its only a friendly though!

Thought it was a much better watch than the friendly in March where England seemed to get a lot of praise for odd reasons.

Brazil will be a much tougher test.

1 minute ago, VillaChris said:

Thought it was a much better watch than the friendly in March where England seemed to get a lot of praise for odd reasons.

Brazil will be a much tougher test.

There were positives. Stones,  Pickford, Trippier and Loftus-Cheek

44 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Personally I thought Trippier got into a ton of excellent positions, but if he delivered a single decent final ball I must have missed it. 

I didn't see much of the game, but Trippier's cross for Vardy's header which brought a great save from Ter Stegen was a beautiful ball.

Pretty telling that nobody on here had any thoughts on the game last night!

I didn't see it, but I did hear it on the radio and it sounded like Livermore was shit again. I actually don't mind Southgate that much so far, but this Livermore thing is just too much. When the commentator called him 'England's destroyer' I nearly choked. 

Also, I can see why we have booked ourselves four prestige friendlies in the year before the finals, but wouldn't it have been better to mix it up a bit? Rather four separate attempts to desperately defend the edge of our own penalty area, why not at least one friendly against a side we might have more of the ball against? Get some practice in actually breaking teams down? 

watched the 2nd half, it was a nothing game tbf 

will be interesting to see if southgates masterplan is to turn us in to a smash and grab defensive team, its probably our only hope and we looked good defensively last night, plenty of pace on the counter, need to get better at set pieces, could work...

or will he do what woy did and turn up at a tournament with completely different tactics to what we played in the previous games

theres still the old england habit of having 3/4 players in the team that arent good enough, they've had a chance to show it and failed but they'll get to 50 caps before the penny drops, lingard and livermore being the obvious ones last night, livermore shouldnt be anywhere near the team again

Friendlies and 0-0s don't mean much but I feel we have a base to work on and Southgate being a defender knows how to set up defensively. John Stones is starting to show just how good he is. Alli and Kane back in that side it starts to look more promising. Neymar has been a bit wild at times in front of goal. Wonderful footballer though!

4 hours ago, villa4europe said:

watched the 2nd half, it was a nothing game tbf 

will be interesting to see if southgates masterplan is to turn us in to a smash and grab defensive team, its probably our only hope and we looked good defensively last night, plenty of pace on the counter, need to get better at set pieces, could work...

or will he do what woy did and turn up at a tournament with completely different tactics to what we played in the previous games

theres still the old england habit of having 3/4 players in the team that arent good enough, they've had a chance to show it and failed but they'll get to 50 caps before the penny drops, lingard and livermore being the obvious ones last night, livermore shouldnt be anywhere near the team again

This is kind of what I meant about friendlies. I have no problem with us being a counter-attacking side against more skilful teams, and there was a bit of that against Germany that looked quite promising. 

But we also have to have a plan for playing the USA's, the Costa Rica's, the Algeria's etc. 

Â