• Adomah
    • Onomah
    • Davis
    • Jedinak (Onomah 67)
    • Hogan (Davis 71)
  2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/11/17 at 15:00

Take back my pre match comments, we were magnificent tonight. Perfectly managed by Bruce throughout the game. We played some decent stuff at times, and then when the inevitable onslaught at the end came around we defended brilliantly. 

Against a better side we may have needed to take a few more of the chances we had, but 2-0 away from home you can hardly complain about too much.

Terry, Hutton, Hourihane, Whelan and Davis all superb tonight.

• Like 2

That was a solid a performance as i can remember us playing.

We could still be playing now and Preston wouldnt have scored.

Them missing their defence doesnt give them an excuse the other end of the pitch.

• Like 2

Absolutely excellent display throughout. Makes such a difference when we take advantage of our dominance as we did with Chester's goal. And our counter attacking second goal set us up perfectly. Yes Preston had some injuries but they're a strong team, especially at home, so that was a really excellent win. Reminded me a lot of our performance at Barnsley away, we handled their pressure very well, led by the absolutely excellent Terry. I think what helped tonight was having Davis up front. He, unlike Kodjia, can lead the line and bring others into play. We can play the ball into him and it sticks, and he brings players like Onomah, Adomah and Snodgrass into play. Kodjia can be great for us too but not in the same way we play Davis and not how we played him on Sunday. We defended very assured and very solidly tonight. Special mention to Whelan, Onomah, Terry and Davis who were our best players I felt. Hutton did very well too. Bruce got his set up and tactics spot on tonight. We were positive from the outset and were rewarded. We played the ball on the floor far far better than against blues and were calm with the ball in playing ourselves out of trouble. Jedinak was brought on at the right time and Davis was on the verge of picking up a second yellow so was very relieved when Bruce took him off. 

Excellent away performance from us tonight and all the players and Bruce deserve credit. Three very valuable points. 

Edited by roonst83
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, briny_ear said:

Thought the body language of the whole team was very positive tonight. They are gelling as a group and it looks like JT is a central figure in it all.

just as pleasing as the result.

Agree with this 100%.

1 hour ago, smg said:

some regular posters missing at the moment perhaps their internet connections are playing up?

“Now see the grasshopper reel like a dry leaf falling,
Weaving a dance that will last forever...”

(copyright Leon Rosselson)

It is so, so satisfying to see us play and win as a team.

I've criticised us for a while for being a team of talented individuals. Credit, they're working for each other.

As I suffered PTSD following the relegation season, it crossed my mind a goal we conceded can't remember against who, but we got tonked. Veretout gave the ball away and then watched his man run past him and score as he trotted back slowly. We destroyed him on here afterwards and I was as angry as I could be due to the lack of effort.

Well, we were the opposite of that today. Hourihane, Snodgrass and Adomah particularly impressed me with how hard they worked. Man they covered some miles tonight. 

Great effort all around.

1 hour ago, vreitti said:

Absolutely delighted with the result, which at this point is all that matters. However, I simply can't understand how we're winning with this predictable and terrible brand of football. It just looks to me like we somehow 'get out of jail' every game, and sadly I still don't think we'll go the whole nine yards.

Well I would agree it’s “predictable” but that’s not really an issue for me, many teams are aren’t they ?

I agree we are pretty “terrible” going forward in terms of clever movement and possession, but we and presumably the Club knew that was never going to be any different under Bruce. There is nothing terrible about how we now break at teams though, it’s pretty clinical and hard to defend against.

But we are certainly NOT terrible defensively, both the back 4 and as a team we are a very good defensive unit now, which, gradually, is showing signs of being allied to, rather than at the exclusion of, a decent attacking approach.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, PompeyVillan said:

It is so, so satisfying to see us play and win as a team.

I've criticised us for a while for being a team of talented individuals. Credit, they're working for each other.

As I suffered PTSD following the relegation season, it crossed my mind a goal we conceded can't remember against who, but we got tonked. Veretout gave the ball away and then watched his man run past him and score as he trotted back slowly. We destroyed him on here afterwards and I was as angry as I could be due to the lack of effort.

Well, we were the opposite of that today. Hourihane, Snodgrass and Adomah particularly impressed me with how hard they worked. Man they covered some miles tonight. 

Great effort all around.

Couldn’t agree more.

I thought the work rate tonight from every player was top class, really top class, as good as I’ve seen from any club for a long time.

There are various things I think are down to a Manager. One is the approach to games, which I’ve been very critical of Bruce about previously.

But another absolutely key one is getting what Ron Saunders used to famously call “110%” commitment. There’s been signs of it recently but today was a great example, credit to the players and management.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TRO said:

Fine result.....thought our work was untidy at times, but defensively, thoroughly professional.

All we need to do is win.....6 in 8 sends out a message.

just need to maintain this form.

Thought Terry was brilliiant.....whelan also played the role of "pick pocket" very well....Johnstone is the bank of england, despite reducing PNE to very little threat.....Hutton what a renaissance.

job well done.

Not a drop of smugness from the TRO ,fella ,just genuinely happy to see us win ,as we all are ,regardless of what we think of the manager .

1 hour ago, terrytini said:

Couldn’t agree more.

I thought the work rate tonight from every player was top class, really top class, as good as I’ve seen from any club for a long time.

There are various things I think are down to a Manager. One is the approach to games, which I’ve been very critical of Bruce about previously.

But another absolutely key one is getting what Ron Saunders used to famously call “110%” commitment. There’s been signs of it recently but today was a great example, credit to the players and management.

Good measured and balanced comments Terry.

7 hours ago, TRO said:

Why be smug....its cheap.

we all have opinions and we all know what they are.

lets be honest we can all have moments of being right and wrong and emotion can sometimes have its effect.

Lets just unite and enjoy a very well balanced win.

UTV

Funny you should say that TRO...

All the guff in here about giving heads a wobble, slow internet connections and hand wringing in the pre-match thread decries from the moment and is every bit as childish and blush inducing as when the muck is flying in the other direction.

Having had our fingers burned with repeated false dawns under this manager, people (including myself) were quite valid in second guessing how it was going to go. Sorry folks, I'm still on the fence with Bruce and not once sung his name. A good distance yet from convinced about the guy from a footballing perspective - there is no consistency in performance of the team or a plethora of individuals.

That said, very happy with THIS performance and of course the result. Yeah, I'll give my head a wobble if the improvement continues. But for all you 'regular posters with fast internet connections,' you had an opportunity here to take the high ground (insert Obi Wan Kenobi gif here). Instead, you went all Anakin.

I still have no idea what to expect from this team either home or away. What will we see on Saturday? Will we see a Wolves performance? A Fulham performance? Or maybe somewhere in between like Blues? Come on, if y'all so smart.

Thanks all for making me lose the winning feeling. Thanks all for making it feel like I have to smile whilst sticking a fork in the back of my hand.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, terrytini said:

But we are certainly NOT terrible defensively, both the back 4 and as a team we are a very good defensive unit now, which, gradually, is showing signs of being allied to, rather than at the exclusion of, a decent attacking approach.

I largely agree with this. Still think they take the risk free option of just lumping the ball upfield far too often, when other options are available. I would think that is the manager's instructions. I hate to see us just throw away possession like that, considering the quality we have.

• Like 1

Â