Super Mario Odyssey

Chindie

23 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

It's not very strange when those two games are the games that Nintendo consistently knock out of the park.

Fair enough if Mario Galaxy wasn't for you. But it was a **** brilliant game and absolutely did justify the reviews it got.

You must agree that there is a degree of nostalgia creeping in when these games journalists are handing out 10/10 to all these Nintendo games? For me that's a score reserved for games of a generation not just the latest iteration of Mario and Zelda.

17 minutes ago, AVFCDAN said:

You must agree that there is a degree of nostalgia creeping in when these games journalists are handing out 10/10 to all these Nintendo games? For me that's a score reserved for games of a generation not just the latest iteration of Mario and Zelda.

I think we need to ask what 10/10 even means.

Does it mean, that compared to other games of the same type, it's the best?  

Does it mean, that compared to ALL games, it's the best? 

Does it matter if nostalgia creeps in?  Mario games constantly evolve, incorporating new systems, new puzzles, new platforms - just because you personally don't like jumping on top of mushrooms' heads, does that mean it's not worthy of a 10/10 to other people?  

Reviews are subjective.  Many of the games industry media are in the their 30s and 40s now - just about the right time the first Mario came along - nostalgia will have an affect on them.  

In Galaxy, there were loads of little nods to the original games, and I absolutely loved that it went back to it's roots for fleeting amounts of time, as well as demonstrating that in 2012 (or whenever Galaxy was released) that Mario could still be a very prominent "thing" in the video game world. 

It's not like Nintendo are resting on their laurels with Mario (or Zelda) games.  They have changed so much over the years, whilst retaining their initial cartoony charm -  and that's an incredibly difficult thing to maintain now-a-days when most people aren't even interested in platform games. 

30 minutes ago, AVFCDAN said:

Well I haven't played them, so I can't say for sure either way.

But no, I don't agree with that. Mario and Zelda are two of the greatest game series of all time. They consistently put out brilliant games.
Where do you draw the line and decide the games have stopped being brilliant and started being rated based on nostalgia? N64? Gamecube? Wii? 

Are you sure this isn't just a case of you think those games are overrated so you don't personally agree with the reviews?

11 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Are you sure this isn't just a case of you think those games are overrated so you don't personally agree with the reviews?

Its not really that, I'm not anti Nintendo at all or anti those franchises, I suppose i'm just playing Devils advocate on what 10/10 really is these days. In my eyes it is used sparingly enough to actually mean something (across IGN and Gamespot for me anyway) but Nintendo seem to get them at a disproportionate rate, assuming a lot of Games reviewers these days are aged between 30-40 i'm fairly confident nostalgia does play a part in these glowing reviews and scores, whether that is an issue or not I don't know, it could be argued that what has gone before should be allowed to form an overall opinion of the franchise i guess.

Its an interested debate non-the-less.

3 minutes ago, AVFCDAN said:

Its not really that, I'm not anti Nintendo at all or anti those franchises, I suppose i'm just playing Devils advocate on what 10/10 really is these days. In my eyes it is used sparingly enough to actually mean something (across IGN and Gamespot for me anyway) but Nintendo seem to get them at a disproportionate rate, assuming a lot of Games reviewers these days are aged between 30-40 i'm fairly confident nostalgia does play a part in these glowing reviews and scores, whether that is an issue or not I don't know, it could be argued that what has gone before should be allowed to form an overall opinion of the franchise i guess.

Its an interested debate non-the-less.

Maybe, but then why don't other game franchises that have been around for a long time also get consistent 10/10 reviews? Metroid, Tomb Raider, Sonic etc?

Edited by Stevo985

48 minutes ago, lapal_fan said:

Reviews are subjective.  Many of the games industry media are in the their 30s and 40s now - just about the right time the first Mario came along - nostalgia will have an affect on them.  

Agreed.

Does this mater though and is it fair that its taken into account when reviewing a game as its own entity?

3 minutes ago, AVFCDAN said:

Agreed.

Does this mater though and is it fair that its taken into account when reviewing a game as its own entity?

I'm just saying, someone in their 30s/40s who literally grew up with Mario being THE video game, is more likely to be forgiving in his/her critic of a game than say, someone who has never played a Mario game.

That can work both ways though, obviously. 

Odyssey is fantastic, just such a joy to play and there's so much to do. The main story is short and I beat it in about 12 hours but the meat (and real challenge) of the game is what lies after the ending credits. If you like Mario 64 then I guarantee you will enjoy the hell out of it. 

Games started to cost lower with games once the gamecube game out. I remember most games I use to order from play.com and they were specifically £32.

Before that they use to range from £40-£50. Only since the switch came out have the games got more expensive since they use to be. But if they are bringing more games and better quality games out I am happy to pay a bit extra 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Games started to cost lower with games once the gamecube game out. I remember most games I use to order from play.com and they were specifically £32.

Before that they use to range from £40-£50. Only since the switch came out have the games got more expensive since they use to be. But if they are bringing more games and better quality games out I am happy to pay a bit extra 

Switch games cost a fair bit more because Nintendo opted for expensive cartridges.

As for games in general they cost £50+ because the AAA development space is unsustainable. They charge £50+ for games now because manufacturing takes a cut, distribution takes a cut, physical/digital stores take a cut and then finally Sony, Microsoft, Nintendo and Valve (Steam) take a 20-30% cut. Once all that is factored in on games that cost £60+ million to make and £60 million to advertise they have to sell 8+ million copies to make a profit. It's why games have £40 Season Passes, Microtransactions and anything else they can add. We are in the midst of an unsustainable time for gaming and it's only going to get worse.

2 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

That was probably because everyone had made it do discs by then instead of cartridges, which were more expensive.

• 2 weeks later...

Supposedly it gets much better once you 'finish' it. You can complete the game without having done half of the content, and some of it only opens up once you've reached the end, which seems to be the stuff most reviews love. So presumably it'll only get better.

• 2 weeks later...

This is a bit special.

Only downside so far is I find it controls very slightly awkwardly. Part of that is certainly getting used to the Switch but I don't feel like I have the absolute certainty of control I usually have with a Mario game. 

But 2 hours or so played and yeah... It's very Mario, but very different, and it has that Nintendo edge nobody touches.

Yeah controls were an adjustment at first for me too. I so desperately want a sunshine 2 but this is as close as I'll get I think. Its sublime. A few odd decisions like the t-rex and human people, found them a bit jarring but the gameplay is second to none. So much fun and joy littered with the odd challenge that forces the expletives out of you.

Shaping up to be a classic for me. 

• 4 weeks later...

I've been slowly plugging away at this. I enjoy it but I still find it controls slightly fiddly somehow. The nicest issue though is I've found in really don't much like some of the world's. I've flown through a few keen to move on, but that leaves the itch that there's something being left behind when you go.

But then today I sat and played the Lunch kingdom for ages and wracked up loads of moons. Even as the world becomes a little more irritating as you go along (getting around the world can be a pain). It was great. I won't ever get all the mind moons but when you're in the mood for it you start to think curiously about the world and it usually rewards for you it. It's great.

Â