Super Mario Odyssey

Chindie

Apparently this is one of the best things released in a year filled with excellent releases.

It looks great. And mental, for a Mario game. Nintendo might have managed a 1 2 for GOTY.

It makes me want to buy a Switch. I love a good Mario game like little else.

• Like 1

Never one to rest on their laurels, are they? Good to see they continue to re-invent the gameplay of these games. When you compare the 'franchise' to, say, Sonic, it's unbelievable really. In regards to the Switch, it's still got Xenoblade Chronicles 2 to come, hasn't it? What a debut year.

Edited by hogso

11 hours ago, Chindie said:

It makes me want to buy a Switch. I love a good Mario game like little else.

I feel the same way. So tempted to cancel my One X pre-order and buy this instead. But it would all be for 1 game.

4 hours ago, PieFacE said:

I feel the same way. So tempted to cancel my One X pre-order and buy this instead. But it would all be for 1 game.

If you've not played Zelda that is definitely worth getting one for well, if you've not got a Wii U. Genuinely incredible and kinda out does every open world in some ways.

The Switch seems to have built up a library of decent titles with a couple of killer apps. It's a shame is still a bit of a mess of a console for me, but certainly has defied my expectations.

As for Mario, seems the main criticism is waggle controls. They don't seem completely necessary but nobody is particularly happy about them.

I think this is the first console in years from nintendo that has some real gems 

God i cant wait. The missus is buying me a switch with probably mario kart, bros getting me odyssey and ill be buying streetfigher and bomberman. Also loved arms what a fun game that is! 

42 minutes ago, villarule123 said:

It's getting hard for me to resist now. Zelda, Mario and Mario Kart. I'm on the verge of giving in now. £400 though :blink:

Rob it from thick envelopes sent around the 15th December :lol: 

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, hogso said:

Never one to rest on their laurels, are they? Good to see they continue to re-invent the gameplay of these games. When you compare the 'franchise' to, say, Sonic, it's unbelievable really. In regards to the Switch, it's still got Xenoblade Chronicles 2 to come, hasn't it? What a debut year.

I thought this was a sarcastic post on first read through.

I'm seriously starting to wonder how much Nintendo are paying these journalists, this game has 10's across the board to go along with the 10's Zelda got from everyone.

Its either that or they are getting a free nostalgia pass on their games these days.

37 minutes ago, AVFCDAN said:

I'm seriously starting to wonder how much Nintendo are paying these journalists, this game has 10's across the board to go along with the 10's Zelda got from everyone.

Its either that or they are getting a free nostalgia pass on their games these days.

Well I've not played it, but everyone I know who has seems to agree that Zelda deserved all the plaudits it got.

So isn't there a chance it's justified?

Zelda and Mario games are nearly always brilliant, regardless of how pants the console they're on may be. So it's no real surprise to me that the Switch installments are so good.

3 hours ago, villarule123 said:

It's getting hard for me to resist now. Zelda, Mario and Mario Kart. I'm on the verge of giving in now. £400 though :blink:

Andddddd bought. I have no willpower. I'm returning my Oculus Rift so technically I'm £15 up :D

I cannot wait to play this and Zelda now.

2 hours ago, AVFCDAN said:

I can't think of any other series in gaming outside of Zelda and Mario that have continually innovated throughout their entire history, to the point of defining whole generations of console gaming. You have to applaud that.

Sure, Nintendo are far from perfect, and I personally haven't owned a system of theirs since the GBA, but I can't help but admire them. Maddening if you are a proper Ninty fan I'm sure, given some of the things they do and decisions they make, but just watching game play of this (and the latest Zelda), it looks utterly joyful. No sarcasm ;)

4 hours ago, darrenm said:

God I want this. But the Switch and all modern games are so expensive. :(

Are they?

The Switch is just over £300. 

A google tells me the N64 was launched at £250 20 years ago.

Plus I remember regularly paying £45 - £50 for N64 games in the late 90's. That's more expensive than Switch (and most other) games these days.

They aint that cheap, but they're cheaper than games used to be.

15 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Are they?

The Switch is just over £300. 

A google tells me the N64 was launched at £250 20 years ago.

Plus I remember regularly paying £45 - £50 for N64 games in the late 90's. That's more expensive than Switch (and most other) games these days.

They aint that cheap, but they're cheaper than games used to be.

I seem to remember paying £30-40 for all games N64 onwards. Most stuff is about £60 now isn't it?

The SNES was £80 as I had it for Christmas when £100 was my limit as an 11 year old. The N64 was about £120 IIRC as again it was my Christmas present limit. Now as an adult I paid £150 for a Wii and £180 for a Wii U. Perhaps I'm just getting stuff after they've dropped in price and I need to wait for the switch to drop. £300 for a console is just too much for me. That's a big wedge of disposable income which other people seem happy to spend but others may get much more use than I do as I don't really have a lot of time to play games these days. I accept your point though, they probably aren't any more expensive than launch prices of anything else, I'm just used to paying a lot less.

30 minutes ago, darrenm said:

I seem to remember paying £30-40 for all games N64 onwards. Most stuff is about £60 now isn't it?

No on both fronts. I don't think anything costs £60 these days. MAybe if you buy them on release date from PSN or something.
I distinctly remember N64 games being around the £50 mark. Even if they were £40 like you say, that was 20 years ago. That'd be worth more like £70 these days.

31 minutes ago, darrenm said:

The SNES was £80 as I had it for Christmas when £100 was my limit as an 11 year old. The N64 was about £120 IIRC as again it was my Christmas present limit. Now as an adult I paid £150 for a Wii and £180 for a Wii U. Perhaps I'm just getting stuff after they've dropped in price and I need to wait for the switch to drop. £300 for a console is just too much for me. That's a big wedge of disposable income which other people seem happy to spend but others may get much more use than I do as I don't really have a lot of time to play games these days. I accept your point though, they probably aren't any more expensive than launch prices of anything else, I'm just used to paying a lot less.

Nintendo are usually on the cheap side of consoles, but I think above you're comparing the price when YOU bought them with the price of the Switch now. The SNES launched at $200 which is nearly $400 in today's money.

£300 is a lot of money, but again relatively speaking for a console it isn't. The original playstation launched at £300 over 20 years ago.

Compare it to this graphic and you'l see it's pretty average.

Spoiler

199q203cc5y96jpg.jpg

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Well I've not played it, but everyone I know who has seems to agree that Zelda deserved all the plaudits it got.

So isn't there a chance it's justified?

Zelda and Mario games are nearly always brilliant, regardless of how pants the console they're on may be. So it's no real surprise to me that the Switch installments are so good.

Its strange that both of the big first party games that will arguable drive the sales of the switch for the first year are both 10/10 games across the board, as you say maybe Nintendo just nailed it.

I remember all the rave reviews for Mario galaxy when that came out and i bought it with great anticipation and it just wasn't for me, i really didn't get the hype at all and i seem to recall that one getting 10/10 across the board as well.

5 minutes ago, AVFCDAN said:

Its strange that both of the big first party games that will arguable drive the sales of the switch for the first year are both 10/10 games across the board, as you say maybe Nintendo just nailed it.

I remember all the rave reviews for Mario galaxy when that came out and i bought it with great anticipation and it just wasn't for me, i really didn't get the hype at all and i seem to recall that one getting 10/10 across the board as well.

It's not very strange when those two games are the games that Nintendo consistently knock out of the park.

Fair enough if Mario Galaxy wasn't for you. But it was a **** brilliant game and absolutely did justify the reviews it got.

Â