Spiderman

dubbs

Story done.

It has a slightly odd pace to it. The 'big' stuff is heavily backloaded and the end of the game is nigh on a boss rush. They might have been better served spreading things a bit more evenly, althouh the story they wanted to tell does lend itself to the way they've set the game out.

Some criticisms then. It's thin on villains. It would have been better to mine Arkham a little more for inspiration and have some more faces from Spider-Man's rogues gallery as separate side stories. As is you get about 3 away from the main story, and one of those is literally a mission. What they do have here is good, nice takes on some old faces (across the board really) but I'd have liked more. I think this is partly why a lot of the side activities have been criticised - it's not just that it didn't have that many ideas, because it has a few actually, it's that it repeats those ideas with too little variety between them. Adding in more villains would give you more excuses to put in more variety.

Where it does add variety is in letting you occasionally play as other characters in story missions (don't get your hopes up, you're not getting a couple of sections to play as Venom for instance). These sections are very simple stealth moments, and while they aren't hard, or long, or even bad in any way really, they just aren't as enjoyable as playing as Spider-Man is. The one time these sections work particularly is where they mix things up a little for a set piece, but that only happens once.

But that's all I can criticise it for really. Even the lack of variety isn't too big of a deal as what they give you is so fun. Each side activity is an excuse to push the combat system or play with the traversal. And both of those is great. Taking on a den of thugs while trying to tick the bonus objective boxes is just fun, racing across the city against the clock is great. Away from that the story is a decent take on some familiar faces, if I think paced a little weirdly and with an odd choice of protagonist in Mr Negative, one of the newer faces Spider-Man has faced and not quite a classic yet, although done well here. There's some cracking old school boss fights, lots of nods and winks to the Marvel universe, a brilliant rendition of Manhattan, and it looks gorgeous.

It's really good.

Except for the alternate suits you get for Spider-Man. They picked (and designed) some stinkers. I played the entire thing in the classic suit. They aren't all bad, but the vast majority are some of the more hideous outfits in Spider-Man's wardrobe.

I've done blackcat and about half of the harry stuff, i can see why the criticism of the side stuff is there, the harry stuff in particular just a bit shit, what i would say though is the game is quite clever in how it releases the side stuff to you, i'll be honest and say the back pack and crime tokens are becoming a bit boring but I've only got about 5 back packs left, if it all came in one go i'd probably be bored of the lot, i've done them all but i might revisit the construction sites now i've got more skills

story mode not sure how far through i am, I've done the shocker fight in the bank which i thought was brilliant

i find that i can still get killed or upset by a large gang if i just pile in which i like

17 hours ago, villa4europe said:

story mode not sure how far through i am, I've done the shocker fight in the bank which i thought was brilliant

i find that i can still get killed or upset by a large gang if i just pile in which i like

Same. Just a little past the Shocker fight. (Black Cat side mission just opened). I've done all the backpacks, nearly all of Harry's stations (Just a few skills I need to open for the others), all of Fisks hide outs and all of the Demon and regular crimes for the areas. Gonna do the Black Cat bits now then carry on with the Story again.

i think there is a lot of stuff tucked away in this game, its a shame that some of the landmark photos arent just left as secrets in the game, i've found lockjaw, seen the real crosswords that people in the game play and done the spiderman 3 walking down the street flashing trigger fingers to people

my favourite

Spoiler

the side mission featuring a niko and a roman, great nod to GTA 4

46 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

how long do you think it took all in? im >40% through and think it doesnt have the 30-40 hours that a fair few open world games have (not saying thats a bad thing)

and do you need the benchmarks for platinum? im hit and miss on them

Not that long. It's not a huge game by any means. Sub 30 I think.

You do need to do the benchmarks, although you don't need to ace all of them. You need enough tokens to buy all the suits iirc, which means you need to 2 star them all and get 3 on a couple I think. They aren't actually that hard - the bomb ones basically require you to learn the route and run it until you nail the time. The stealth ones you can actually speed up easily - never use the perch takedown and web gadget attacks are (mostly?) silent.

From what I remember the platinum requires all suits to be collected, most collectibles (including 1 hidden set), all districts complete, all side missions/activities, a couple of combat/traversal 'feats', some gimmick things. It's not that hard at all.

was getting towards the end thinking it was all a bit easy...ramps up!

still enjoying it but as is typical im slowly moving away from the idea of getting a platinum, i dont really enjoy the taskmaster stuff, the labs have been boring, pigeons...the police stuff is repetitive too

36 minutes ago, Dante_Lockhart said:

I've got no where near Gold on any of the Taskmaster stuff yet. As long as I don't need to Gold any for Plat I don't see any problem in getting it.

The reason I didn't Plat any of the Arkham games was down to the trials.

You need to get Gold on a couple and silver on the rest for the platinum. 

They aren't that difficult once you're a little more powerful and have a couple of cracks at them.

i think you need a gold on each type of challenge, 4 types bomb, drone, stealth and brawling

if i set myself up right im sure i can do the stealth and the brawling (i think about half way through the game the penny dropped for me to just web everyone to stuff rather than trying to knock them out, its a lot quicker)

but the drone and bomb ones i dont think i will

You need to silver one of each challenge type for trophies.

You need to gold a couple because you need a load for costume unlocks, and a few more for a trophy for upgrade unlocks, and that's more than you can get only getting silver on each.

Honestly the challenges aren't that difficult (and the bomb and drone ones actually get easier as you level up because your swinging gets faster). You just need the learn the route. 

It's deserved. It's a really really good game.

Certainly the best Spider-Man game and probably one of the best superhero games ever full stop.

And I'd probably say it's one of the best renditions of Spider-Man in any medium.

Finished it tonight.  Great game.  One of my all-time faves.  But my god those credits lasted longer than the final boss battle.  Love that there's still loads to do.  Thinking about getting the season pass. 

• 2 weeks later...

finished it last night, loved the story, i thought the game would be not quite my cup of tea and maybe a 7/10 at best, pleasantly surprised, i dont see how insomniac dont get drawn in to making a 2nd one

not sure what i'll do now, spend a few weeks trying for 100% before trading for RDR2 or trade it in at the weekend for tomb raider or assassins creed

Edited by villa4europe

Â