Spiderman

dubbs

I hope it can live up to the trailers. I'm a little concerned the more eye catching moments are just QTEs. Also not the best villain choice (they must be holding back someone better) and I'm still astounded that was the best suit design they could come up with. There's been some grim Spidey outfits over the years but that's awful.

I'd love a great Spider-Man game though and this is the best hope in years. Don't let me down. 

• 5 months later...

It does look great. Still a **** horrible design for the costume mind.

My only real worries are still how QTE heavy it is, and watching some clips of the combat I don't like the floaty style launcher combo stuff. It doesn't look right for Spider-Man. He's an extremely agile and acrobatic fighter, but he can't float. It looks wrong, almost like they parachuted a combat mechanic from a different game into it.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Went gold the other day.

They also announced the final bonus costume - an original design by ADI Granov that is a bit like a weird mix of the MCU Iron Spider suit, the 2099 suit and the Stealth suit from a few years back.

It joins the MCU Iron Spider (gag) and bizarrely the Spiderverse Spider Punk outfit.

I want more costumes. Symbiote, 2099, Noir, McFarlane suits pls.

Looks great. Still think some of the combat is too floaty - it just doesn't look right for Spider-Man to be hovering in the air juggling opponents with attacks. Of course that's a hack and slash, character action brawler staple, but here it looks wrong. A really minor thing though.

On the plus side that hideous suit is apparently not a requirement, you develop other suits throughout the game, including the Noir suit (yes) and Scarlet Spider (ugh). And much of the clip above shows him wearing a really classic Romita look which is great.

• 3 weeks later...

I’m not sure it’s going to compare to the Arkham games, especially in terms of combat (Arkham’s is still unmatched in any games I’ve played, at least) and atmosphere, but if I can swing around a beautifully-realised New York City to my heart’s content then I’ll be happy with it.

I spent far too much time on Spider-Man 2 web-slinging around and diving off the Empire State Building. I don’t even really care if the combat or story is a bit weak, though obviously if they aren’t then I’ll be even more pleased.

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting that Sterling picked up on the game having quite a restrained scope - you're not battling through huge chunks of his rogues gallery and the main villain is Mr Negative - that's a really really odd choice for a villain...

Otherwise it's seemingly not doing much astoundingly new with a lot of open world busy work but with that it's well written and nails the feeling of being Spider-man.

Methinks this is going to get a very good sequel. It smells like Insomniac put a lot of focus into the fundamentals, getting the traversal and combat down and building the game world, putting in a good contained story and then padding it out with well worn open world trappings. I'm down for that.

Also theres, thankfully, a **** ton of suits in it. Yes.

Â