Pre match thread

roonst83

3 minutes ago, LancsVillan said:

I'd have him because he isn't 'woeful' at all. He makes intelligent off the ball runs and would, for me, work well with Davis. Back against Reading we started off ok playing a counter attacking game and should have scored before he picked up an injury. 

Play him through the middle with balls played to him by a partner or even something on the ground and not to his head/chest from 40yds and he is a good player.

I disagree, he can't do any of the basics. He has poor touch and technique, poor distribution and looks like a league 2 player.

A draw is not good enough now. Had we win at the sty we may have been able to take a point.

I tjink hogan and davis up top and have o hare on the bench as opposed to grealish.

Cant see bruce dropping hutton after his recent performances.taylor may be on bench. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Raver50032 said:

He needs to pick his strongest available team. No sentiment for Hutton at left back. If Hutton deserves a place, maybe he should start ahead of Elmo?

Nooooooooooooo. Hutton can do less damage at LB as he's not in his natural right side where he bombs forward without licence, and either crosses or runs the ball out of play. On the left he's (slightly) more considered and plays it more sensible and safe. We need to play our best players in their best positions so we should be ruthless and bring Taylor back in. It wasn't as if Taylor was injured, he was banned so should be fresh and raring to go. 

Edited by roonst83
  • Like 3

21 minutes ago, roonst83 said:

Nooooooooooooo. Hutton can do less damage at LB as he's not on his natural right side where he bombs forward without licence, and either crosses or runs the ball out of play. On the left he's (slightly) more considered and plays it more sensible and safe. We need to play our best players in their best positions so we should be ruthless and bring Taylor back in. It wasn't as if Taylor was injured, he was banned so should be fresh and raring to go. 

My thoughts exactly :thumb: 

• Like 1

With the news that their defence is in a mess, we really ought to be winning this one shouldn't we? I have a bad feeling that he'll bring in Davis for Kodjia and continue with the same formation that we started with on Sunday. 4-4-2 please Brucie. 

40 minutes ago, KJT123 said:

With the news that their defence is in a mess, we really ought to be winning this one shouldn't we? I have a bad feeling that he'll bring in Davis for Kodjia and continue with the same formation that we started with on Sunday. 4-4-2 please Brucie. 

my fears too

On 10/30/2017 at 17:35, GREAT_BEARD_OF_ZEUS said:

I totally agree with everyone who wants to see Davis and Hogan upfront, but I think this is the game where Bruce starts with both Jedi and Whelan. 

------------------- Johnstone ----------------

Elmo ---- Chester -- Terry ---- Hutton

Snoddy -- Whelan -- Jedi -- Adomah

-------------------- Hourihane -----------------

------------------------ Davis --------------------

This is the line up I think he'll go with as well. Did somebody say Hoof? The plan (if there is one) will be to let them have the ball, sit back, soak up the pressure and then try to hoof it to Davis and win some knock downs. How depressing. 

6 minutes ago, villa89 said:

This is the line up I think he'll go with as well. Did somebody say Hoof? The plan (if there is one) will be to let them have the ball, sit back, soak up the pressure and then try to hoof it to Davis and win some knock downs. How depressing. 

I have that fear too. May try and stream the Spurs v Madrid game if that's the case :ph34r:

I really wouldnt mind if Bruce played Jedi & Whelan IF

Elmo was pushed up to more of a wingback, Snoddy free to roam a little between RW & RAM, Adomah relieved of defensive duties, Hourihane played in his natural position. This would mean Jedi & Whelan operating across the pitch rather than up and down, which would suit them both better, with the „outball“ being wide to Adomah (L) Elmo & Snod (R) CH short and an accurate hoof to Davis.

However, all this would be irrelevant if we sat back in a 4-5———————1

Actually buzzing for this match. Haven't had this feeling about a Villa match in a long time. This could be the start of something big for us. Win this game and we go into the month confident and really make ground on the top 2. After that, with confidence, we could mount a challenge. Lose tonight and suddenly we are 9th and chasing for a playoff position.

Very wary of this game concerning Villa. I hope with news that Preston may be under strength Bruce or the players don't think they just have to turn up to win. Preston are decent and it will still be a difficult game.

21 hours ago, fightoffyour said:

Don't forget that "Preston have got 24 hour [Editor's note: only actually 21 hours] recovery on us. I don't think that's right, but that's what we're up against." - Steve Bruce.

Excuses well and truly already made.

Did he really say that? Utterly pathetic if so

23 minutes ago, Rodders said:

Did he really say that? Utterly pathetic if so

Yep, 0:58 into this video:

The official twitter page has even made a point of focusing on this ready-made excuse:

DNUVYr8XcAAia4D.png

Edited by fightoffyour

Since they beat Blues, they have 1 win in their last 6, including home draws to Milwall and Sunderland and a home loss to Brentford.

They have 2 points in their last 4 games, and they have 4 centrebacks injured so have a patched up back line tonight.

No excuse for Bruce not to go all out for the win.