Pre match thread

roonst83

1 hour ago, GREAT_BEARD_OF_ZEUS said:

I totally agree with everyone who wants to see Davis and Hogan upfront, but I think this is the game where Bruce starts with both Jedi and Whelan.  Something between a 4-4-2 and a 4-2-3-1.

------------------- Johnstone ----------------

Elmo ---- Chester -- Terry ---- Hutton

Snoddy -- Whelan -- Jedi -- Adomah

-------------------- Hourihane -----------------

------------------------ Davis --------------------

I think it might actually cause them quite a few problems... with the double DM insurance, all 3 of Snodgrass, Hourihane and Adomah can surge forward, with Davis as the foil.  An inexperienced defence might find that more difficult to organise against than a standard 2 up top.  Also gives him more options from the bench to change it up if needs be.

I would be happy with this.

I would start with Taylor though

------------------- Johnstone ----------------

Elmo ---- Chester -- Terry ---- Hutton

Snoddy -- Whelan -- Jedi -- Adomah

-------------------- Hourihane -----------------

------------------------ Davis --------------------  

this^ (but Taylor for Cafu/Carlos)

or

Hourihane in for jedi or whelan and Hogan up top.

Either one I‘d be happy with if we dont sit back.

But it‘s got a Sit-Back-and-hoof-Bruce-style written all over it doesnt it?

2 banks of 4 sitting deep whilst either Hourihane or Hogan chasing their b*ll*x off and Davis isolated.

So this is who Bruce eill pick for sure -

SJ

Elmo Chester Terry Taylor

Snod Whelan Jedi Adomah

Davis

So if he goes 4-2-3-1 its + Hourihane

4-4-1-1 its + Hourihane

4-3-3 would also be + Hourihane (as LM)

4-4-2 would be Hogan up top with Davis

I‘m not discounting the possibilty of a 6-3——————————1

Edited by Grasshopper
  • Like 2

18 hours ago, Grasshopper said:

As Flukey Luck would have it, PNE will have a weekend defence.

No excuse not to go at them then.

Win = Bruce is still dead man walking

Draw = Sack

Lose = Sack

SJ

RDL/Bree Chester Terry Taylor

Jedi

Snod Hourihane Adomah

Davis Kodjia (if fit/Hogan off KD)

Subs

Steer Bree/RDL Samba Whelan Elmo Onomah + Anyone but Hutton & Thor

Playing in midweek with a weekend defence! They are asking for trouble :D

• Like 3

Not a must win, but certainly a could do with a win. We really should be beating Preston. Blues you can make excuses for as it was a Derby and they always up their game. Got two very tough games coming up after this, so 3 points is important. 

This and Wednesday in quick succession will provide a real idea of where we are for the season - without the cushion of three points from the sty there's a fair bit of pressure to ensure we get something out of two games against teams with real playoff intentions. I think it'll be tough, I think Bruce needs to be brave in selection and approach.

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

This and Wednesday in quick succession will provide a real idea of where we are for the season - without the cushion of three points from the sty there's a fair bit of pressure to ensure we get something out of two games against teams with real playoff intentions. I think it'll be tough, I think Bruce needs to be brave in selection and approach.

I think we will be back in middle table.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, TrentVilla said:

I think we’ve all seen enough of Bruce’s away tactics against top half sides to know how we will approach this one.

Sit deep, hoof and hope.

May or may not work, not sure I can face watching any more of it though.

This is what I fear but Preston are there for the taking. I would play Jedinak and Whelan and allow Hourihane further forward and Davis up top. Just let the front 4 attack.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Rugeley Villa said:

Not a must win, but certainly a could do with a win. We really should be beating Preston. Blues you can make excuses for as it was a Derby and they always up their game. Got two very tough games coming up after this, so 3 points is important. 

I think this is tougher than the following 2 games personally but I agree we need to win games and not draw too many - will be tough but no question it’s very winnable 

I'd play

Johnstone

Elmohamady---Terry---Chester---Taylor

Snodgrass---Whelan---Onomah---Adomah

Hourihane

Davis

With Jedinak, Hogan and O'Hare ready on the bench.

I'd put Taylor straight back in, it's not an injury he's coming back from so he should be okay and he offers us some balance.

Although Onomah hasn't been in the best of form, I'd still put him in there next to Whelan, there should be enough players around him to make sure he always has an option, so no excuse for losing the ball.

Start with Davis with his back to goal, he's the one who can hold the ball up well and bring those behind him in to the game. Snodgrass, Adomah, Hourihane and Onomah should all be looking for the ball from him.

Hopefully we play positively and put the pressure on Preston's box.

I shall say 2-0 Villa  :flag:

Edited by 8pints
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, 8pints said:

I'd play

Johnstone

Elmohamady---Terry---Chester---Taylor

Snodgrass---Whelan---Onomah---Adomah

Hourihane

Davis

With Jedinak, Hogan and O'Hare ready on the bench.

I'd put Taylor straight back in, it's not an injury he's coming back from so he should be okay and he offers us some balance.

Although Onomah hasn't been in the best of form, I'd still put him in there next to Whelan, there should be enough players around him to make sure he always has an option, so no excuse for losing the ball.

Start with Davis with his back to goal, he's the one who can hold the ball up well and bring those behind him in to the game. Snodgrass, Adomah, Hourihane and Onomah shou;d all be looking for the ball from him.

Hopefully we play positively and put the pressure on Preston's box.

I shall say 2-0 Villa  :flag:

there‘s more logic in that post than 40+ games of Bruce

• Like 1

I think this the first indication of where we will be this season. I think it's a game we should win, especially given Preston's injury issues, and the type of game we need to win if we have any aspirations of finishing near the top two.

If we lose, our results start verging towards a similar trend of last season, if we win, we have momentum to spring forward with our upcoming fixtures. We have to start winning away games against teams in the top half of the table and tonight would be a good start.

I'd drop Kodjia for Davis, even if he fit, and Whelan for Jedinak as he needs a rest. Taylor also needs to come back in for Hutton despite his impressive stand in.

I'd ideally drop Onomah too, who always looks lost in away games but I'm struggling to realistically see who for. I'd fancy playing Hogan, but I always worry about Jedinak in a 4-4-2, and the likes of O'Hare, Grealish and Lansbury all played last night. 

8 hours ago, Rugeley Villa said:

But seemingly 'we' (the royal we as a club) already have an excuse for this game. Injured/hobbled Kodge...

With all his dismissal of 'hysteria,' I'm afraid the manager has left himself very little wiggle room. He either delivers, or he doesn't.

27 minutes ago, Raver50032 said:

But seemingly 'we' (the royal we as a club) already have an excuse for this game. Injured/hobbled Kodge...

With all his dismissal of 'hysteria,' I'm afraid the manager has left himself very little wiggle room. He either delivers, or he doesn't.

Don't forget that "Preston have got 24 hour [Editor's note: only actually 21 hours] recovery on us. I don't think that's right, but that's what we're up against." - Steve Bruce.

Excuses well and truly already made.

Edited by fightoffyour
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Rugeley Villa said:

I know what you are saying, but whatever way you look at it, they were there for the taking if Bruce had gone for it in stead of trying not to lose.

• Like 1