Merged - Next England Manager/Chalice/Capello

TrentVilla

Forgetting our bias who do you think the FA should appoint?  

106 members have voted

1. 1. Forgetting our bias who do you think the FA should appoint?

• Martin O'Neil
    • Mark Hughes
    • Jose Mouriniho
    • Fabio Capello
    • Marcello Lippi
    • Arsene Wenger
    • Harry Redknapp
    • Terry Venables
    • Sam Allerdyce

Leaving aside all the politics for a second and focusing on the football, the next England manager could actually be quite important to Villa in terms of nurturing and developing our players.

I am firmly of the belief that the benefits of International football outweigh the negatives to a player. Now O'Neill is out of the way i'm quite excited to see who will be coming in and looking at the way they like to play and how our players may fit into their plans.

This weekend World Cup draw could be an important factor. If England are drawn with Portugal then Mourinho won't take it.

The same goes for Lippi & Capello if England draw Italy.

Interesting thinking futumtch. I agree that Mourinho would have problems managing England against Portugal because he has said as much before - and cited it as a reason that he could only ever manage Portugal.

But I'm not so sure Capello or Lippi with their experience and at their stage of their career would have the same conflict of emotion. I don't think their decision to accept the job would be predicated by England avoiding Italy in the WC draw. After all, regardless of who you get in the qualifiers, assuming they all perform as expected, they have a good chance of meeting in the finals.

I also think that the FA would be totally stupid NOT to apopint one of either Lippi or Capello. My choice would be Capello. He is a fiery and passionate winner who would tear strips off the whole squad. You would see a totally different England team on the pitch imo.

I would love a Capello or Lippi - Lippi has ruled himself out though as he doesn't speak English (no big deal IMO).

Capello would be great but would England fans be happy with his defensive football???

If we slated Sven for taking a 1-0 lead and not finishing games off - what would we make of Capello, whose Juventus side made defending 1-0 leads into an art form???

:lol:

Ali, after McLaren they will want RESULTS more than anything. They will accept Capello if he gets them into the knockout stages of major competitions, and he would ...

Also do you reckon England have the personnel and mentality to play Catanaccio football ? It'd be an evolution imo.

Ali, after McLaren they will want RESULTS more than anything. They will accept Capello if he gets them into the knockout stages of major competitions, and he would ...

Also do you reckon England have the personnel and mentality to play Catanaccio football ? It'd be an evolution imo.

You and I know that - but will joe public?

We know what Capello bases his teams around - after all he has won more trophies than the England team and small heath in their entire existence - teams with a focus on a solid defence and a solid backbone.

That means dopping one of Gerard/Lampard - something the cockney media will not like.

Even if we do a Greece and win or come close to winning a major tournament by a succession of 1-0 wins - people won't be happy with the 'Italian defensive mentality'.

Stupid I know, but was one of the reasons cited for Sven going, even though we got to the quarter finals of major tournaments and qualifying was always a formality.

Southgate has already come out and said the new man should be English :roll: TBH I think Joe Public and Cockney hacks should be told what they want :nod: As for SG & FL :roll: That will be fun to see develop.

if they want an englishman, and can't get enyone so soon, how about popping Sir Bobby into it for a transitional period. He knows the game like the back of his hand, and I tell you this, has more enthusiasm in his little finger than most.

As for Capello, I think he plays to his players strengths rather than 100% defensive style. His Milan team of Gullit, Rijkaard, Van Bastan, Baresi, Papin played some fantastic football. BUT he will be dogmatic and deliberate if people pressure him to play THEIR way, as was shown at Real.

If it was me he'd have been unveiled to the press already as the new manager.

Steve Coppell's post match interview today was comedy. Said that people linking him with the job keep putting an o on the end of his name. Said he'd happily do it alongisde Reading job till World Cup qualifiers begin and to give the FA more time to choose in the hope they actually get it right.

Did anyone hear the guy from Derby County on Talksport at lunchtime. They eventually got around to asking him about the England Managers position and he said he really wanted an Englishman in the job which is why he thought MON would be perfect.

I nearly phoned up to tell them he defo wasnt English but then couldnt be arsed.

Capello would be perfect but knowing they FA they'll try to play it safe with some Yes man tosser like Shearer.

Capello generates controversy wherever he goes and doesn't care about upsetting people. But he still gets results no matter what.

If he was appointed I guarantee there would be some big names not playing or left out altogether (at least until they did things the way they're told).

I think the FA would be too afraid to appoint him.

Â