Merged - Next England Manager/Chalice/Capello

TrentVilla

Forgetting our bias who do you think the FA should appoint?  

106 members have voted

1. 1. Forgetting our bias who do you think the FA should appoint?

• Martin O'Neil
    • Mark Hughes
    • Jose Mouriniho
    • Fabio Capello
    • Marcello Lippi
    • Arsene Wenger
    • Harry Redknapp
    • Terry Venables
    • Sam Allerdyce

I'm going to be a stick-in-the-mud here, and declare that England should be managed by an Englishman - which rules out all the above except Allardyce (and I wouldn't want him in).

So, I don't know. At the moment, I don't particularly care, to be honest.

Redknapp would do a better job of motivating the team and getting them to play good football in my opinion.

Not sure why people are so upset at losing MON - if he goes it opens the door for Capello/Mourinho/Lippi

I can't see it TBH. I've said it elsewhere before, but I think we need to become more of a force than we currently are to be interesting to any of those blokes. Besides, Moaninho can't manage in the PL at the moment, or is that just paper talk?

Uneasy Benitez drops England hint

Benitez joined Liverpool from Valencia in June 2004

Liverpool boss Rafael Benitez has said he may be interested in the England job after an apparent disagreement with the club's owners over transfer targets.

Benitez described his week as "not the best" after arriving late for a news conference following a conversation with George Gillett and Tom Hicks.

"Maybe I could be Steve McClaren's replacement if I improve my English," said the 47-year-old Spaniard.

"I was being serious. You never know what can happen in the future."

During his news conference, Benitez used the answer "I am focused on training and coaching my team" a number of times in response to a series of questions on various issues.

Despite a huge transfer outlay in the summer on players like Fernando Torres and Ryan Babel, Liverpool are fifth in the Premier League and in danger of failing to get beyond the group stage of the Champions League.

Benitez is thought to have already started making plans for the January transfer window, but the club's American owners have issued a statement suggesting that they are not thinking that far ahead at the moment.

"There are some very important games coming up in the next couple of weeks and all of us need to focus on winning those games and getting the best out of the players we already had at the club," said the statement.

"We will leave any talk of buying or selling players until we come across to Liverpool in December and sit down with the manager then."

Here

Must admit the old ticker skipped a couple of beats when I read this:

Martin O'Neill is the man the FA want to take over as England boss and they will do whatever it takes to get the Aston Villa manager. (Daily Star)

O'Neill does not want the job and will rule himself out of the running. (Various)

Jose Mourinho is the FA's choice for the England job. The ex-Chelsea boss has already been sounded out. (Daily Express)

Jurgen Klinsmann is keen to succeed McClaren. The ex-Germany boss would work alongside former England captain Alan Shearer. (Daily Express)

Rafael Benitez is a contender after his future as Liverpool boss was thrown into doubt following a row with the club's American owners. (Various)

Steve Bruce

Wait for it!

is set to take over as Wigan manager after paying his former club Birmingham to settle a row over his contract. (Various)
Doh!

click

According to BBC Radio 1 this morning, O'Neill is set to come out publicly and declare he is not interested in the England post, to end speculation surrounding his future with us.

In relation to the story about Rafa Benitez, thats certainly an appointment i'd be happy with.

Benitez? Can you imagine it?

First game:

.................Crouch.......Defoe.......................

Cole.........Gerrard.....Lampard........Lennon

Young.....Ferdinand.....Campbell......Neville

............................James...............................

Second game:

..........................Owen..................................

.........................Rooney.................................

Young.............Gerrard..........Wright-Phillips

..........................Barry...................................

Bridge.........Lescott.......Brown.......Richards

........................Robinson...............................

etc., etc.

"if I can improve my English" is a big if. I think the FA will be looking at someone with strong English. It's the only thing I think which is stopping them from talking to Lippi already. Although his English is good, they have to consider how the players would respond to their manager not speaking fluent English. Of course, players like Rooney can't either though.

I reckon the FA would take Rafa on and he would do a better job than McClaren. He isn't the type to be a boat-rocker - so the FA would like that, but he is smarter than McClaren. I reckon he would be alright, but nothing that special. IF we are to really carve a team together, we need a manager with the balls to drop big names and bollock top class players when needs be - but the FA will NEVER allow someone who might upset the primadonnas the chance to do so.

Would they be willing to pay Liverpool the huge amount it would cost to get him though?

Given the current state of play thats about 2 used washers and a chocolate button, in fact the American owners of Scousepool might just pay England to take him away

Jose Mourinho for me. He would get the players motivated and he is not scared of the media and therefore they won't influence his team selections. Failing that I'd go for Capello. He wants the job and has a proven track record at every club he's been at.

Â