January transfer window 2018

Jareth

14 hours ago, GREAT_BEARD_OF_ZEUS said:

I get what you're saying but I really don't think Bruce will think the same way, he rates Whelan and he'll deem him more than good enough as cover for Jedi (which is what I hope he becomes), plus Onomah can also play there if needs be. 

Last night proved that we have more than enough cover in most positions.  Even left back seems sorted now that we have the Scottish Roberto Carlos on top form.

Quality over quantity now and that has to come in the form of a big, physical striker who can score as well as hold the ball up.  Get that right and we're going up for me.

I think you’re right but I hope you’re wrong. If we are to go up we need to play the the tempo we did against Bristol every game I don’t think think we can with Jedi and Whelan doesn’t seem to allow us to. That’s my biggest concern. Also if we all thought we only needed Ulloa this thread would be dead. Those are the 2areas I’d try to improve. CF a big lump and another lump but more mobile in Cm 

14 minutes ago, dn1982 said:

I think you’re right but I hope you’re wrong. If we are to go up we need to play the the tempo we did against Bristol every game I don’t think think we can with Jedi and Whelan doesn’t seem to allow us to. That’s my biggest concern. Also if we all thought we only needed Ulloa this thread would be dead. Those are the 2areas I’d try to improve. CF a big lump and another lump but more mobile in Cm 

Yeah, Jedi reminds me of me trying to play a ball back to some kids at the park, I sort of amble over it slowly, ping it and miss the target - safe old side footing becomes the norm and that ain't gonna give us the rocket boost we need to start these lightning fast counters. That said, his beast score more than makes up for it. Can't think who we can get in equal beast ratings but better at passing - but maybe Brucey has his eye on someone...  

• Like 1

Still think Lyden If fit would give the impetus you are talking about sitting in front of the back four but Bruce won’t play him.

Can’t see another DM being signed in this window with two senior DMs at the club plus Lyden if not sent out on loan.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, striker said:

Still think Lyden If fit would give the impetus you are talking about sitting in front of the back four but Bruce won’t play him.

Can’t see another DM being signed in this window with two senior DMs at the club plus Lyden if not sent out on loan.

that DM role does look pretty vacant.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

On 03/01/2018 at 11:27, striker said:

Lyden is just unlucky. He’d have been involved now if not injured. It goes that way for some footballers a player I had big hopes for will probably leave in summer a season he’s 23 I think and needs 1st team football. Bruce only gives youth a chance when it’s last resort but with our kids we need to trust them. We need a DM but that’ll show Bruce got it wrong in the summer so he probably won’t do it. 

25 minutes ago, dn1982 said:

Lyden is just unlucky. He’d have been involved now if not injured. It goes that way for some footballers a player I had big hopes for will probably leave in summer a season he’s 23 I think and needs 1st team football. Bruce only gives youth a chance when it’s last resort but with our kids we need to trust them. We need a DM but that’ll show Bruce got it wrong in the summer so he probably won’t do it. 

Yes mate he has been unlucky with injuries and a manager who seems to have little faith in him.

However I’m judging him on the few cameos he has played in the first team but I suppose Bruce sees him every day of the week and hasn’t been impressed enough to take a chance on him.

What I’ve seen of him though he looks a very tidy player in the same mould as Ryan Woods at Brentford and I just wonder has Bruce missed a trick earlier in the season with Terry schooling him in the art of what a DM should be doing?

If promoted I don’t think Bruce would be stupid enough to rely on either Jedinak or Whelan as Villa’s defensive midfielders in the Premiership. Just too cumbersome and slow now.