January transfer window 2018

Jareth

On 28/12/2017 at 18:14, Dr_Pangloss said:

Far too many personal demons to be considered reliable I'm afraid. He's an alcoholic gambling addict who has reportedly suffered with depression and sucidial thoughts.

That's before he has even endured Bruce ball..

• Haha 2

Just read about Nick Powell.

Loads of ability, but had a stinking attitude for years. A good 6 months at Wigan shouldn't be enough to earn a move here. Especially with the likes of Micah and Gabby only too keen to lead these players astray.

Not sure.

• Like 1

The Championship giants have a limited budget for next month’s transfer window due to Financial Fair Play limitations. 

Speaking last month, Bruce said: “I have said before we are strapped with FFP (Financial Fair Play). We will have to beg, steal and borrow like we did in the summer, look at our options and see if one of my mates can do me a turn.”

Powell came through the ranks at Crewe Alexandra’s famed academy and was tipped for the top after sealing a big-money money to United in 2012. 

Apparently Snoddy, JT, Whelan, Elmo and Samba are all playing for free. The excuses for when we don't get promoted already being put in place. **** this guy.

https://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/898325/Aston-Villa-News-Wigan-Nick-Powell-Steve-Bruce-EFL-Championship

Edited by rodders0223
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

34 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

Apparently Snoddy, JT, Whelan, Elmo and Samba are all playing for free. The excuses for when we don't get promoted already being put in place. **** this guy.

https://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/898325/Aston-Villa-News-Wigan-Nick-Powell-Steve-Bruce-EFL-Championship

They’re not playing for free but JT, Samba and Snoddy had no transfer fees, Whelan was 1.5m and Elmo was less than £1m according to transfermarkt. He’s not said they’re playing for free, but they didn’t cost much. Just like Johnstone and Onomah on loan.

Bruce didn’t invent FFP it’s a real thing. I’m not defending the mistakes he’s made, but we didn’t spend much in the summer because we have to offset it against profit and losses elsewhere, and I think that’s true.

Edited by alreadyexists
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, alreadyexists said:

They’re not playing for free but JT, Samba and Snoddy has no transfer fees, Whelan was 1.5m and Elmo was less than £1m according to transfermarkt. He’s not said they’re playing for free, but they didn’t cost much. Just like Johnstone and Onomah.

Bruce didn’t invent FFP it’s a real thing. I’m not defending the mistakes he’s made, but we didn’t spend much in the summer because we have to offset it against profit and losses elsewhere, and I think that’s true.

When you take Hogan out of the equation we really didn't spend much in Bruce's first transfer window in January 2017 either.

40 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

Speaking last month, Bruce said: “I have said before we are strapped with FFP (Financial Fair Play). We will have to beg, steal and borrow like we did in the summer, look at our options and see if one of my mates can do me a turn.”

Does this ar$ehole realise he's not at Birmingham City anymore? 

Old habbits die hard!

I would hazard a guess that our wages expenses on the p&l is pretty large, on top of those mentioned above we need to also factor in the likes of Richards/Gabby and McCormack who I imagine are on big wages but contribute little to our season. This will always keep us close to the line on FFP until we can move those who aren’t contributing on.

Edited by NeilS

9 minutes ago, NeilS said:

I would hazard a guess that our wages expenses on the p&l is pretty large, on top of those mentioned above we need to also factor in the likes of Richards/Gabby and McCormack who I imagine are on big wages but contribute little to our season. This will always keep us close to the line on FFP until we can move those who aren’t contributing on.

I don't understand where we stand with FFP in relation to what we spend on transfers, wages, when sales and purchases are accounted for and all the rest.

If there's a simple guide, it would be great to be signposted towards it.

4 minutes ago, peterms said:

I don't understand where we stand with FFP in relation to what we spend on transfers, wages, when sales and purchases are accounted for and all the rest.

If there's a simple guide, it would be great to be signposted towards it.

I can’t claim to be an expert on the matter, and maybe a fellow VT’er can point us in the right direction, but my thoughts are based on the likes of the three mentioned previously being on £60k contracts. These are massive wages for the receipts we could expect to receive for the division we are in. To add, I recall Jedinak was put on a big contract when he signed, I imagine we are still picking up part of Gil’s wages and some of the others out on loan. We really have a large amount of players who we are subsidising, which is a result of years of mismanagement and managerial changeovers.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, TheAuthority said:

When you take Hogan out of the equation we really didn't spend much in Bruce's first transfer window in January 2017 either.

You mean the amount we spent on one player that most clubs in this league cant afford to spend over 5 seasons combined?

That would be like Liverpool saying if you take the van dyke deal to one side we  havent spent anything, when clubs like Swansea and West Brom cant even spend that much over a few years on a number of players.

And those that are saying Terry, Whelan, Elmo and Samba didnt cost much. Theyre on more wages than some teams squads put together in this league. Not to mention all the loan players we are still paying and contributing towards their wages. 

Its like when Zlatan joined Man U on a free, that doesnt mean because a transfer fee wasnt involved that clubs like Southampton ever had a chance to sign him. Low fees doesnt mean low payouts!

• Like 2

Don't want to turn this into a Bruce / poor investment thread. But now the transfer window is open do we have anyone that anyone else would genuinely want to sign?(not loan players). 

Premiership - can't think of anyone who might move up - grealish?

championship - Hutton perhaps - though teams will wait for summer. Bree / de Laet , Thor, Gardner, Hogan (cut price). 

It really does make you think about what we spend our money on - and this isn't a manager thing - it's a 5/6 year club failing.