Saudi Arabia

maqroll

9 hours ago, blandy said:

It’s just....odd. The whole thing. There are many nations where journalists are murdered for opposing, or printing criticism of, or corruption of leaders etc. It mostly, sadly, goes little remarked upon. China, Russia, N.Korea, Iran, KSA, Syria, Turkey, Bulgaria, Mexico,  India, Pakistan and more.

Yet this time KSA does it and it’s covered in more detail, though perhaps more as a “mystery interest” thing than a murder of a critic.

And as the Twitter says, KSA does other, worse, things and the media and the world sort of shrugs.

There's a thread starting here which suggests some background to it.  Sounds at least plausible.  Reads more like the actions of the Mob than states.

CNN reporting that Saudi Arabia will acknowledge that Khashoggi died during an interrogation that "went wrong"

Now watch the world pretend to be outraged while doing nothing.

• Like 2

So it seems the line on Khasoggi is going to be that it was unauthorised action by rogue elements, a mistake - since there is no crsdible explanation for how he enetered the embassy and was never seen again.

Trump's comments lay the ground for that, and show that the line has been agreed between the two countries, presumably with Turkey being told to play along.

Obviously it's a complete lie, and every journalist who covers it will know it's a lie, but they will repeat it anyway, mostly with a straight face.

The replies to the tweet below cover some of the obvious problems with the emerging story.

LOL 'we didn't intend to murder him, we just wanted to rough him up a bit, put the wind up him, you know, and those blokes who flew in with a bone saw and flew out again with him chopped into bits in diplomatic bags, they weren't torturers, they were actually expert teasers, you know, we were hoping to make him feel pretty silly about himself, but then he done gone and slipped and cracked his head on the floor and we lied about what happened for two weeks because we were scared and we're so sorry *sob sob* . . .'

• Like 4

'PS I know you're mad at us now, but if you don't stop being mad at us, we'll stop funding your think tanks, and we'll get our mates to stop funding them as well, and you know nobody in the real world is going to pay for that **** dribble you write so I know you'll come to see that we're alright really, and we won't do it again, we promise *smiles sheepishly through the tears*'

Edited by HanoiVillan
  • Like 1

I read somewhere on my trails today that there was also a Mr. Khashoggi involved in Iran-Contra. Arms dealing on that side of the family I guess and given the dismembered journalist's working relationship with the Saudi Royals before finding jesus, I wonder what buried bodies he knew about.

3 hours ago, villakram said:

I read somewhere on my trails today that there was also a Mr. Khashoggi involved in Iran-Contra. Arms dealing on that side of the family I guess and given the dismembered journalist's working relationship with the Saudi Royals before finding jesus, I wonder what buried bodies he knew about.

On buried bodies, apparently he knew about what was in the 22 withheld pages of the 9/11 report covering Saudi involvement, among other things.  Not that this would be the reason he was killed.

10 hours ago, peterms said:

On buried bodies, apparently he knew about what was in the 22 withheld pages of the 9/11 report covering Saudi involvement, among other things.  Not that this would be the reason he was killed.

Ya, that's a theory being thrown about but probably more as it's so simplistic. Much more likely that this guy wound up MBS (tm) the wrong way and given he previously worked for one of the recent hotel guests of MBS, it's not too hard to see what was going on. I also suspect that he was on the payroll of a foreign intelligence service or two.

Pompeo traveling direct to Riyadh for face time with the king and not communicating via the Saudi US ambassador (any content which would undoubtedly cross MBS' desk) is most interesting.

Edited by villakram

1 hour ago, villakram said:

Pompeo traveling direct to Riyadh for face time with the king and not communicating via the Saudi US ambassador (any content which would undoubtedly cross MBS' desk) is most interesting.

Not really, file under free holiday and time on a hookah for Pompeo all in the interests of looking to be doing something whilst doing precisely nothing

16 hours ago, villakram said:

there was also a Mr. Khashoggi involved in Iran-Contra.

Adnan. Uncle to Jamal (and incidentally Dodi Fayed)

Normally I wouldn't have a clue but Queen wrote a song about his boat...

"Khashoggi's Ship"

"Khashoggi's Ship" was started by Mercury with all four of them contributing to the lyrics and music. The song is about famous billionaire Adnan Khashoggi and a ship (the Nabila, now Kingdom 5KR) that he owned at the time and was one of the largest private yachts in the world. On the album, this track segues from "Party", to which it has a very similar lyrical theme. The song served as the reference to the name of the Khashoggi character in the We Will Rock You musical.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Miracle_(album)#"Khashoggi's_Ship"

Incidentally, Trump ended up owning that Yacht after the Sultan of Brunei had bought it off of Khashoggi. He apparently lost $9m on it when he sold it on to one of the Saudi Royals.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, peterms said:

I think the fact your twitter source doesn't know it was 28 pages  and it was also released to the public in 2016  is a good enough reason to file this under  not credible

unless we are talking about a different withheld 9/11 report covering Saudi involvement of course

1 minute ago, tonyh29 said:

I think the fact your twitter source doesn't know it was 28 pages  and it was also released to the public in 2016  is a good enough reason to file this under  not credible

unless we are talking about a different withheld 9/11 report covering Saudi involvement of course

the real one

1 hour ago, bickster said:

Not really, file under free holiday and time on a hookah for Pompeo all in the interests of looking to be doing something whilst doing precisely nothing

out of interest (and open to the wider floor) ..what exactly do you want Trump , or even the UK to do ? Sanctions or something more drastic ?

Just now, tonyh29 said:

out of interest (and open to the wider floor) ..what exactly do you want Trump , or even the UK to do ? Sanctions or something more drastic ?

I'm not sure I've said I want them to do anything

Â