• Adomah
    • Kodjia
    • Jedinak (Snodgrass 60)
    • Davis (Hourihane 74)
    • Hogan (Kodjia 81)
  2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 01/11/17 at 19:45

8 minutes ago, fifamad said:

If the shot went in off the bar I’d be pleased with the win of course but I would not be convinced of the performance as I haven’t been in the majority of games under Bruce. 

We can talk about what ifs all day, what if blues took their chances and won convincingly 2-0, would you still be defending SB? I actually think you would.

anyways, let’s leave it there.

Hey, If Jota had of scored, it would be down to Hourihane who lost concentration and passed the ball across the park without actually looking.

Lets just get the criticism apportioned to the appropriate places.

to keep blaming Bruce for everything is cheap.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

Why did we wear our away uniform, don't we normally wear the claret & blue when playing at the Sty?

Also, why was the referee wearing Black shorts with a Grey shirt? I could have sworn a few times in the first half I saw our players pass it in the referee's direction thinking it was a teammate.

As usual an intense derby and in turn a rubbish game of football. Just a shame we couldn't nick it.

8 hours ago, Wainy316 said:

Can anyone that went confirm if our fans were as quiet as they sounded on TV?

It's weird how the fans haven't seemed to be up for this fixture the last 2 seasons.

Our away support has been embarrassing the last two seasons at the sty. Tbf since we've come down to the championship our numbers have been great, but we are a lot quieter than we used to be. I just don't get how quiet our fans are at blues now. There is just not enough passion. 

8 hours ago, TRO said:

Absolutely Not......I just disagree with the blanket criticism.

Yes I will grant you that he sets up to be defensive and he did today.....and I have said he is at fault for many things.....but not all of them.....The hoofball was putrid ( he has to take responsibility for that)Look when a team break ,

However,

Look when we break they have one intention and one intention only  to score ....that is nothing to do with how you are set up, when attacks break down through poor play.i.e poor decision of losing the ball cheaply through unforced error.

If we suddenly  transfered the Man city team to us and he told them the same tactics.....do you think they would be playing like we do......never in a million years.

I am not defending him Unconditionally.....but I do not think he is at fault for every ill we posess.

If you put SB in charge of the Man City squad you would almost certainly start to see individual unforced errors.

This is the precise result of players being told to perform roles that are not suited to them and not being properly coached in how to do those roles.

Obviously it wouldnt happen to the same extent as Man City's players are a far higher calibre, but they certainly would not be playing fluidly and scoring for fun.

Man City's players would also be quicker and more likely to rebel against his management and either force him out or just play there own way on the pitch.

Our players are not good enough or experienced enough to do this.  But i think you assertion that it wouldnt happen with better players is simply incorrect.

Man United under Moyes for example.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, flashingqwerty said:

If you put SB in charge of the Man City squad you would almost certainly start to see individual unforced errors.

This is the precise result of players being told to perform roles that are not suited to them and not being properly coached in how to do those roles.

Obviously it wouldnt happen to the same extent as Man City's players are a far higher calibre, but they certainly would not be playing fluidly and scoring for fun.

Man City's players would also be quicker and more likely to rebel against his management and either force him out or just play there own way on the pitch.

Our players are not good enough or experienced enough to do this.  But i think you assertion that it wouldnt happen with better players is simply incorrect.

This ^^^^^^^^^^^

3 hours ago, flashingqwerty said:

Actually thats a perfect example of comparison.

Everton finished 7th under moyes the season before. He bought Everton players and got them playing like Everton - good job done for him (not for ManU)

Bruce got us to play against the sc*m in the opposite way than the level of players he brought into the club.

That is exactly why the result and performance against the Sc*m is so unacceptable.

5 hours ago, flashingqwerty said:

I am not suggesting for one minute Pepe has not made a major contribution to Man city;s form and to be fair, it has taken him some time to get right.....It didn't happen overnight, but when they were in WIP they were still good, such is their individual calibre.

David Moyes had a win ratio of 52% at Utd when his career ratio is 42%......It is clear to me its much easier to succeed with better players.

my point was and my opinion of course.....despite Steve Bruces shortcomings I see things from players, i would be inclined to blame them for as opposed to the manager.

as an example.....We have been struggling winning aerial ball in combat situations in midfield as soon as Jed comes on that changes and its clear to see.

sometimes its what comes first the chicken or the egg.....maybe the players are not as good as we think they are....just a thought.

1 hour ago, TRO said:

I am not suggesting for one minute Pepe has not made a major contribution to Man city;s form and to be fair, it has taken him some time to get right.....It didn't happen overnight, but when they were in WIP they were still good, such is their individual calibre.

David Moyes had a win ratio of 52% at Utd when his career ratio is 42%......It is clear to me its much easier to succeed with better players.

my point was and my opinion of course.....despite Steve Bruces shortcomings I see things from players, i would be inclined to blame them for as opposed to the manager.

as an example.....We have been struggling winning aerial ball in combat situations in midfield as soon as Jed comes on that changes and its clear to see.

sometimes its what comes first the chicken or the egg.....maybe the players are not as good as we think they are....just a thought.

You honestly think whelan and houihane are equipped to win aerial duels in the centre of the park?

If you truely believe that then you are as misguided as SB.

Neither of those players at any point in their careers have consistently or overtly controled the game aerially. Its is not what they are good at and they are not equipped to compete in such a way.

If you dont see that maybe you are SB in disguise?

All you have done by making the aerial argumwnt is reinforce my argument that he is employing players incorrectly in roles that do not suit them.

From what I saw a draw was a fair result and when you look at the match in the context that this is Small Heath's cup final to go to their ground and come away undefeated is OK.

Thought Jedinak and Davis improved us when they came and hopefully they are involvedi n the next game vs Preston.

5 hours ago, TRO said:

How about keeping it on the ground or pressing the opposition so that we play to our strengths and not the opponents?

It‘s the major flaw in your logic. You argue that a player is responsible for the mistake, when it is the manager who instructs a player where to be on the field. Put a player in an unfamiliar position and he will perform relative to how comfortable or uncomfortable he is.

For example - playing Hourihane in a more advanced position and giving him less defensive responsibilities (or us even dominating the play and having the ball for 70% of the time) would have probably lead to him NOT being in the position and forced to attempt that pass which nearly cost us.

But you dont seem to want to accept that Bruce is responsible for such things.

Another point, which really winds me up, is:

Why cant somebody, anybody from Bruce or the coaches, work on throw-in to the extent that we keep possesion when we have one?

Sure it‘s players fault to a degree, but Bruce and his coaches are responsible for implementing play, tactics, set-pieces, throw-ins and other situations in games, yet the same weaknesses rear the heads time and time again.

I think blues are better than the table shows. They have some decent players well suited for the Championship, the front three with Adams, Vassell and Jota, that Ndoye in the middle and Roberts at the back for example. They are a psysical side who also can play a bit. I think many of their best players were injured at the beginning of the season and they also signed quite many players who need to glue. Given that team, that it was an away fixture in the most hostile atmosphere you can get, where all supporters stood up the whole game, I think one point isn't that bad.

Regardless of this, I'm not happy to see that we sit back and defend and have as our only attacking tactic to hit a long 50/50 ball and hope for some magic from Kodija or Snodgrass. We are better than that. We should play on the front foot for the most part of the games and should be the team that dictates the play. Our squad and our players are good enough for that.  

I missed most of the game so I watched it in full yesterday. It was pretty dire but these games always are. We were never going to dick them even though on paper we should. I think Onomah having a poor game meant we lost the midfield battle. Kodjia looked much better on the left for me. Jedinak man marking N'Doye meant we got much more of the ball and threatened more in the last third towards the end of the game. As much as I loathe Bruce I think he made the right changes. Just glad we didn't lose. It's all about the Preston game now. I would've taken 4 points from these 2 games beforehand and now we need to get that W.

On 10/30/2017 at 04:52, Hornso said:

Also, why was the referee wearing Black shorts with a Grey shirt? I could have sworn a few times in the first half I saw our players pass it in the referee's direction thinking it was a teammate.

The ref was wearing a pink shirt...

• Haha 1

Â