Ratings & Reactions: Villa v Fulham

limpid

Match Polls  

123 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your man of the match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 29/10/17 at 12:00

You know what, irrespective of if you are for or against Bruce, I have said it before and I will no doubt say it again, so much of our problem is down to just plain poor decision making by our players. 

With better decision making today we could have been out of sight against a pretty decent Fulham team. 

Would have been interesting to see this system up against Wolves last week instead of leaving us exposed in the middle like he did. 

I have to say I thought kodjia was really poor today. Yes one good pass but done terrible decision making again. He will never be a top player in my view because of it.

terry was my motm brilliant today. Captain Fantastic. I also though onomah was very good. 

Very good win. Fulham are a excellent side

Edited by Demitri_C

Really enjoyed the Game today, great to see us play with confidence.

Have to say I think Whelan gets a lot of IMHO unfair stick, he played well today, good break up play and a couple of telling passes (forward!!) 

Kodja frustrates, our 2nd goal shows what happens when forwards pass to each other .

UTV

• Like 3

Vital win for confidence to take into the game against the Small Heathens. 

Overall, thought we were very good, with Adomah and Terry very close for MOTM, Hourihane pretty close and others turning in good shifts. 

Probably should leave the team the same for our trip to the Darkside. 

2 hours ago, VillaAlex said:

Good win the the grand scheme of things. Not a great performance, but could have been worse. I think if Fulham had better players up top it could have been different, Fonte and Kamara were useless.

We need to play much better next week against Small Heath. 

If villa had a better midfield it could have been even more different.

But, it is what it is.

not a night to be too picky, lets enjoy the win against a top half team.

Edited by TRO

Just back after a few beers. Terry the first proper captain we have had since the O'Neil days, love the way he organises and keeps us motivated. If there was one negative, I felt Bruce nearly lost us the game with his changes towards the end of the game, still unaware how to see a game out.

3 hours ago, briny_ear said:

@Villan_of_oz, @JAMAICAN-VILLAN, @srsmithusa

Please now say lots of cute n cuddly things about mr S B. :P

Delighted we won.  Avtv crashed for me so i couldn’t see it.  I’m pretty ticked about that.

But with the win,  Cute and Cuddly gets another week from this historical critic.   If he beats the shite, he’ll get 2 more after that.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, srsmithusa said:

Delighted we won.  Avtv crashed for me so i couldn’t see it.  I’m pretty ticked about that.

But with the win,  Cute and Cuddly gets another week from this historical critic.   If he beats the shite, he’ll get 2 more after that.  

It was actually a good game.

they playing the better football.....us having more opportunities to score.

far more tempo and intensity than the wolves game.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Brumerican said:

That tippy tappy Barcelona lite shit Fulham do in their own third is going to cost them a few goals this season.

I think they do it on purpose to tire teams out.

Agree that it’s very risky but don’t think it’s a coincidence they’ve scored so many late goals this season.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, sidcow said:

You know what, irrespective of if you are for or against Bruce, I have said it before and I will no doubt say it again, so much of our problem is down to just plain poor decision making by our players. 

With better decision making today we could have been out of sight against a pretty decent Fulham team. 

Would have been interesting to see this system up against Wolves last week instead of leaving us exposed in the middle like he did. 

Absolutely on the money, that post for me.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

I thought it was good, we played some football - it wasn't always beautiful but there was quite a bit of it and it was definitely deliberate. I thought Hourihane and Snodgrass were both good, but I thought Onomah absolute worked his socks off, he chased their centre halves from the first minute to the last, I thought he was excellent. Man of the match has to be Adomah though who had them terrified with a bit of pace and directness - it's hard to believe that he's not a natural left winger. Kodjia was reasonable and should have had a penalty, Davis struggled a bit on his own late on and the subs were a bit meh - but overall I thought it was a really good performance against a Fulham side that will beat some teams this season. 

Defensively we were solid enough, Elmohamady was the only one that occasionally looked panicky - Terry and Chester were excellent and Terry will have loved scoring against Fulham. Alan Hutton take a bow! Who'd have thought that he'd be such a capable left back. There's an argument for saying he's better there than Taylor on current performances - which is clearly a bit mad, I shan't say it out loud.

Where Wolves movement and their passing beat us comprehensively, Fulham are all about pacy runners that can take you on and will fall over at the brush of a crisp packet (I'm fairly sure their number 47 went down under a raindrop in the second half) - we dealt with that pretty well. That's good news, we know we can deal with the more traditionally muscular approach, and it would appear we can deal with the pacy runner approach - if it's only the teams that can pass and move really, really well that are going to comprehensively beat us this season, we might just be okay, I think there are probably two of them.

Up to 5th and plenty of positive things to take forward or at least to take forward under normal circumstances - our next is obviously immune to all forms of common sense, form or predictability. A good day - bring on the heath!

Came on to post pretty much this.

Onomah was the best player on the pitch today, he was everywhere and his strenth really unsettled them. He wont get the plaudits for this one but it was definately his best game for us.

Hutton and Snodgrass ran him close, both excellent in their roles. 

Edited by Nigel

2 hours ago, sidcow said:

Hindsight and all that!  We had just come off a 4 game winning streak, we simply had to find out how far it could have taken us. 

Imagine the backlash if he had of changed the system and we took the beating we did?

Tbf good may come of that defeat yet, it forced the rethink today.  This could give us a very good plan B for the rest of the season.

• Like 2

Really enjoyed the game, good to beat a team in the top half and to get into the play offs finally!

Thought Onamah, Terry and Adomah were brilliant and the save from Johnstone was match winning

Only complaint was the Davis sub, I thought it was made for Hogan with them playing around at the back so much - Think his energy would have caused them ral issues late on

2 hours ago, benireduk said:

I think they do it on purpose to tire teams out.

Agree that it’s very risky but don’t think it’s a coincidence they’ve scored so many late goals this season.

This is true, I think it is also to draw teams out so they can get between the lines and attack the back four. I know we were hanging on at the end, but I think Bruce wanted a solid two banks across the pitch to protect the wide areas more and force Fulham to pass through us. The panicked hacks away by our players could have been played better, then we probably wouldn’t have been under so much pressure near the end.

Overall, very pleased with the result against a tough team who will be up there at the top near the end of the season. Loads better than my last game, which was vs Brentford. Loving Sam Johnstone keeping on proving me wrong, what a great save from close range to keep our lead at a crucial time in the game. Onomah played a great game, bit one paced but has a great touch and can pick a pass. Terry led the back line well, and scored a great goal. Impressed by Albert and his neat finish, and dance moves.

That is 5 wins in 6 now, a long way to go in the season yet, let’s keep building momentum. Keep it going lads.

Edited by NeilS
  • Like 1

Â