NBA

maqroll

Pistol Pete is the GOAT . 

MJ and LBJ wouldn't even attempt the stuff he pulled off in his sleep.

On a sidenote the game winning shot from Harden against GSW is the best 3 pointer I've ever seen .

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 05/01/2019 at 06:47, Brumerican said:

Pistol Pete is the GOAT . 

MJ and LBJ wouldn't even attempt the stuff he pulled off in his sleep.

On a sidenote the game winning shot from Harden against GSW is the best 3 pointer I've ever seen .

Thanks for posting this. I'd never seen him play before that.

Great pass on him, amazing peripheral vision. I'd argue he was no greater than Magic Johnson in that regard though.

Just because he can do things others couldn't doesn't make him GOAT.

I'm the only person I know who has ever spun the ball on their finger whilst running from half court and only releasing the spin mid-air on the way to dunking. I play in Australia's 3rd tier. I've also got some nice highlights where I pretend to pass by releasing my hands from the ball and push my arms forward in the regular passing motion, leaving the ball temporarily suspended in air, before catching it again and putting up the layup or floater. Gets that big man protecting the paint to try and block the pass every time meaning he has no hand up to block my shot. I can throw an around the back pass too.

Pete's got some slick moves, probably a pioneer in his own right. That said I'll take fire over flash every day of the week.

Jordan did some things incredible things too.

Edited by A'Villan

I'd like to acknowledge that the above comment was a silly comment to make considering that was the first I have ever seen Pistol Pete play. I only knew  of him before.

Dropping my 3rd tier Australian skills is the same sentence as Pistol Pete is slightly embarrassing on reflection. He's doing it in the NBA with a casualness that not many get away with.

Don't mind me.

Thanks again for posting the highlight reel though @Brumerican

19 hours ago, A'Villan said:

I'm the only person I know who has ever spun the ball on their finger whilst running from half court and only releasing the spin mid-air on the way to dunking. I play in Australia's 3rd tier.

That's possibly the best thing I've ever read .

And at 38 I still have a Viz subscription.

• 3 weeks later...
On 15/02/2019 at 19:33, AVTuco said:

Probably a bit daft, but since Edens owns also the Bucks, I started to follow them last fall. Then I fell for the Greek Freak, and now I'm a big fan. 

The dude can dunk with his feet still at home. It's ridiculous.

• Like 1

On 15/02/2019 at 19:33, AVTuco said:

Probably a bit daft, but since Edens owns also the Bucks, I started to follow them last fall. Then I fell for the Greek Freak, and now I'm a big fan. 

Same. They're doing well aren't they?

I used the same rationale to start following the Browns in the NFL (when Lerner came)

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Xela said:

I used the same rationale to start following the Browns in the NFL (when Lerner came)

Yeah, best in NBA. Maybe makes Smith's life easier when Edens has Bucks to follow. It's All-Star Weekend and Giannis is Captain of the "East" team. He is truly awesome, like Brumerican said, and still only 23. He also has two younger brothers coming up, younger of them is 15 I think, 6 ft 5" with a 7 ft wing-span.

If you want out of the Villa misery for awhile, I recommend. NBA is so different, and yet very interesting. (I've never played basketball except at school)

Edited by AVTuco
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, AVTuco said:

If you want out of the Villa misery for awhile, I recommend. NBA is so different, and yet very interesting. (I've never played basketball except at school)

Couldn't agree more .

Going down the Youtube rabbit hole of best plays, players, games etc can be a great way to learn a lot pretty quickly.

I've watched more and more of this as  Villa fell of a cliff and seen so many Skip and Shannon NFL segments that bled into NBA talk that I was subliminally being indoctrinated .

The 82 games is a slog but damn it creates highlights at a blistering pace. I'm very much an assists fan over scoring . A great pass can be a thing of beauty.

2 minutes ago, Brumerican said:

Couldn't agree more .

Going down the Youtube rabbit hole of best plays, players, games etc can be a great way to learn a lot pretty quickly.

I've watched more and more of this as  Villa fell of a cliff and seen so many Skip and Shannon NFL segments that bled into NBA talk that I was subliminally being indoctrinated .

The 82 games is a slog but damn it creates highlights at a blistering pace. I'm very much an assists fan over scoring . A great pass can be a thing of beauty.

Playing/watching NBA games on PS or Xbox is also a great way to get to know, and even fall for, some players. On weekends I pretty much soak up highlights from each game, it's great! This sport, if any, is all about big stars, which makes it easy to follow.

Just now, AVTuco said:

Playing/watching NBA games on PS or Xbox is also a great way to get to know, and even fall for, some players. On weekends I pretty much soak up highlights from each game, it's great! This sport, if any, is all about big stars, which makes it easy to follow.

Yeah the soap opera levels go up to 11 and you can remember every teams best 2 or 3 players within a very short time . 

I'm rooting for about 7 different teams based on many different factors and feel zero guilt in doing so.

I really want those young Lakers to make Magic look foolish but they are going to have to go on a run pretty sharpish.

I could watch Doncic all day and can't wait until he plays with Porzingis.

Kyrie is a magician so I watch a fair bit of Boston .

I like the Raptors because of Vince and them not being American.

The Bucks because of "The Alphabet"

Rockets can be fun , Kemba Walker and Donovan Mitchell are amazing, GSW are basically the Globetrotters and Kevin Durant's childish breakdowns are always hilarious to watch,

• Like 2

Great to see some NBA love. Tipping my Raptors to go far this year. Hopefully going to be there if we get to the finals for the first time in franchise history.

Something different about the NBA compared to say supporting Villa is that I was alive for the entire franchise's history. I was about 4 or 5 when it was founded and I can remember every single era from the good times to the bad (we've had a lot of those). With Villa, there is just so much history and that in itself is a source of pride but it can be hard to relate to.

10 hours ago, Xela said:

Me too. It's going well isn't it? :P (Finally some enjoyment this season...)

• Like 1

On 17/02/2019 at 12:58, AVTuco said:

As an Orlando Magic fan, I very much disagree.

Although having said that, last week went pretty well. 5 big wins on the bounce, including beating the Bucks on the road by 20, and ending a 13-game losing streak against the Hornets, winning by 38.

All-Star Weekend has come at just the right time to break that form though. 🙄

3 hours ago, tomsky_11 said:

As an Orlando Magic fan, I very much disagree.

Although having said that, last week went pretty well. 5 big wins on the bounce, including beating the Bucks on the road by 20, and ending a 13-game losing streak against the Hornets, winning by 38.

All-Star Weekend has come at just the right time to break that form though. 🙄

Your last sentence sounds like Villa alright :)

Edited by AVTuco

I'm not a massive NBA fan at all - but some friends and I were talking about the biggest sporting injustices of all time and, eventually, I offered up a "joke" option of the 2016 Slam Dunk Contest.  And then we watched it again.  And then I felt angry again.  And then we all agreed that, actually, this is right up there. 

I've been re-watching this evening - I'm angry again!  My missus won't appreciate this, but I feel the need to share the clip somewhere else, so, enjoy.  The dunking (and the injustice) is ridiculous.

Edited by bobzy
  • Like 1

Â