NBA

maqroll

On 17/07/2019 at 19:37, kurtsimonw said:

I can't imagine this was true. You don't end up with 2 stars being announced at the same time if one of them was a short notice thing. From what I've read in to the Nets moves before officially signing KD, and the subsequent move for DeAndre, it seems like KD to the Nets has been fairly nailed on for a while.

I do love how Dolan tried to save face by losing KD to us saying "We didn't offer him the maximum" and it turned out, neither did the Nets as we needed space for DeAndre. 😂

I'm not sure I've got my head around your post here.

For starters my exposure to the NBA is usually my brother, who follows it very closely. I wouldn't expect third hand information to be a beacon for truth. Maybe it is pure gossip.

But going back to why I'm not sure I understand your post, from where I sit, until a contact is signed a gentleman's agreement is just that.

I can't speak or vouch for KD's character but if the Curry flight thing is true, and considering his switch to Golden State, wouldn't surprise me for KD to be 'playing the field'.

I guess I'm just saying he may well have been in talks with Nets for some time, he may also be in talks with other potential suitors.

What about the dynasty that never was? The Orlando Magic. Penny Hardaway, Nick Anderson, Dennis Scott, Horace Grant and Shaq O'Neal. What a force!

That one never came to be, and the Lakers got another dynasty.

When a prospect like Shaq or Durant are potentially on the market, everyone gets scheming, I'm sure there's been a lot of potential suitors and as a result discussions.

He absolutely will have been in talks with plenty of teams. But this idea that he last minute, on the day, just decided to sign for the Nets is untrue. It's a decision that he'd clearly thought about, and talked about with Kyrie for some time, and one the Nets had obviously accounted for given the subsequent moves made. 

I think it's funny that KD is getting a bit of shit for the Curry thing, when a bunch of California reporters have said that he never really felt like he fit in at Golden State, there was a social group between the rest and Durant seemingly never fit. Only when he was a free agent someone decided it was time to be a friend. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, kurtsimonw said:

He absolutely will have been in talks with plenty of teams. But this idea that he last minute, on the day, just decided to sign for the Nets is untrue. It's a decision that he'd clearly thought about, and talked about with Kyrie for some time, and one the Nets had obviously accounted for given the subsequent moves made. 

I think it's funny that KD is getting a bit of shit for the Curry thing, when a bunch of California reporters have said that he never really felt like he fit in at Golden State, there was a social group between the rest and Durant seemingly never fit. Only when he was a free agent someone decided it was time to be a friend. 

There's so much ego in professional basketball.

Look at what Durant's Brand Ambassador and friend came out and said about Westbrook.

Look at how Carmelo Anthony and Kobe Bryant treated the emergence of Lin, Instead of celebrating a teammate's success.

I'm going to say that Golden State had a good thing going, with or without Durant when he joined.

They'd won the title and recorded the best ever regular season record. Friendships and bonds probably developed.

You've got the chemistry, you've got teamwork, then Durant who's a title rival scoring 30pts per game arrives to an already star heavy lineup.

People shifted their roles in order for this deal to happen, so it could happen for everyone, Durant included.

Durant enjoyed two titles and two finals MVP's immediately after joining. He can really have little to complain about.

There was a fight between Durant and Green that was centered on Green wanting to discuss Durant's upcoming free agency with Durant.

Curry as far as I know has been diplomatic and holds no grudges for KD doing what he did regards the flight.

That suggests to me Curry is the kind of guy to show love whenever he can. Not someone who is exclusive and only a friend come free agency time.

I don't think KD would complain about anything, on the court. But ultimately, it seems he didn't fit and just wasn't particularly happy. He's now got his rings, his MVP trophies, the money - he had no real reason to join any team, just what made him personally happy. It's no secret he's good friends with DeAndre Jordan, and also Kyrie. So why not team up with Kyrie, and take a lesser deal, to also get Jordan aboard?

Regardless of being a Nets fan or not, I don't think you can really begrudge any of them this move. Kyrie grew up a (New Jersey) Nets fan too. It makes sense.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, kurtsimonw said:

I don't think KD would complain about anything, on the court. But ultimately, it seems he didn't fit and just wasn't particularly happy. He's now got his rings, his MVP trophies, the money - he had no real reason to join any team, just what made him personally happy. It's no secret he's good friends with DeAndre Jordan, and also Kyrie. So why not team up with Kyrie, and take a lesser deal, to also get Jordan aboard?

Regardless of being a Nets fan or not, I don't think you can really begrudge any of them this move. Kyrie grew up a (New Jersey) Nets fan too. It makes sense.

I think it's great that he wants basketball to be more than winning, and wants to develop relationships with his time in the game.

I've got a supersonics jersey with Durant on the back, I rate the guy. However he's taken issue with the people he's come up with.

If he wants it to be about the friendships and rapport, then don't have your man publicly go at Westbrook saying  no one wants to play with him.

Don't talk about relationships that never transpired when Durant essentially came into an established title winning setup and assumed a leadership role.

Players who have every right to be playing and contributing on court in a title winning outfit took a lesser role, to accommodate for Durant's inclusion.

He earned his role as a scorer, guy is absolute fire. That's why Warriors made room for him. Maybe he could've earned his friendship better.

Green challenging Durant's commitment turned out to be accurate. Was it about friendship, or was it about getting some rings and adding to personal to the KD brand?

10 minutes ago, A'Villan said:

or was it about getting some rings and adding to personal to the KD brand?

I don't think anyone would ever debate this, for any sportsman ever. It's a complete nonsense in general though. Players are entitled to move to who they want to, for whatever reason they want to.

Challenging of commitment is funny. He's a mercenary, no different to Green. Green just happened to be drafted on a better team. 

2 minutes ago, kurtsimonw said:

I don't think anyone would ever debate this, for any sportsman ever. It's a complete nonsense in general though. Players are entitled to move to who they want to, for whatever reason they want to.

Challenging of commitment is funny. He's a mercenary, no different to Green. Green just happened to be drafted on a better team. 

Nor would I argue players having the prerogative to make their own life choices.

Warriors are historically a more successful team, yes, however when Green was drafted the Warriors had only just made playoffs after years of bottom end finishes.

Challenging of commitment is not really that funny to me, it's everything in sport. Green recognises this and that's why he's had the honour of being part of a dynasty.

The greatest dynasties are built on commitment and teamwork. From everyone involved.

The UnstopaBULLS dynasty with Jordan, Pippen and Jackson.

The Spurs Greg Pop-a-swish and Duncan dynasty.

The Lakers with Magic.

The Celtics with Bird.

Pistons with Thomas.

Lakers with Bryant.

Curry and Thompson with Warriors.

To a much lesser extent Miami with Wade.

They're the best from my time as a fan anyway.

Notice that players mentioned were drafted by their club or spent majority of career there, and in most cases invested a half decade before success came to fruition?

I do hope it works out for Irving and Durant at the Nets though. Both have received a fair bit of criticism from the basketball community.

Irving deserved the finals MVP every single bit as much as LeBron in their comeback win over Warriors.

It was very nearly going to be Cavs vs Thunder that year in finals as well.

Should be a great season ahead.though. Most teams that should be finishing with a top 4 seed should have a chance.

12 minutes ago, A'Villan said:

Challenging of commitment is not really that funny to me, it's everything in sport. Green recognises this and that's why he's had the honour of being part of a dynasty.

It's funny that he thinks he's more or less committed to the cause than anyone else.

But again, it goes back to the "fitting in" issue. The team had a minor wobble and one of those that fits in to the social group takes a pop at their "outcast", making a scapegoat out of him. He was never any more or less committed than previous seasons.

1 hour ago, kurtsimonw said:

It's funny that he thinks he's more or less committed to the cause than anyone else.

But again, it goes back to the "fitting in" issue. The team had a minor wobble and one of those that fits in to the social group takes a pop at their "outcast", making a scapegoat out of him. He was never any more or less committed than previous seasons.

Green's behaviour was in no way productive. And I think came about after a terrible decision from Green that involved ignoring Durant as a passing option.

When he was questioned about the turnover, Green unleashed the free agency challenge. So if he was trying to protect the dynasty he was a part of, he was having a bad hair day.

On 06/08/2019 at 04:11, Brumerican said:

Lakers v Clippers opening night and again on Christmas day.😀

Will watch the opener I reckon. Both title contenders, although outside of Leonard and George I'm not very familiar with Clippers roster. I'm told they are solid.

Christmas Day is going to be absolutely nuts! Doubt I'll get around to watching any of it though. Can't remember who's playing who but it's going to be a great day of basketball.

• 2 weeks later...

DeMarcus Cousins does his ACL and is out indefinitely. Got to feel for the guy. That's potentially another championship that goes begging.

He's averaged a double-double for the last 10 years in his time on the court, could be his time as a top performer done now.

8 hours ago, Brumerican said:

If Lebron gets hurt again the the Lakers will be mediocre at best , even with AD. 

Be funny if the Pelicans chalk up more wins next season.

But not all that surprising. Had a look at their roster.

No one I've seen play all that much, but some very solid names.

Okafor, Holiday, Ingram, even Reddick and now Zion..

That's a strong squad with a good balance of experience and youth.

Every position has a player who puts up good numbers.

Arguably stronger than that Raptors team. At least without Kawaii.

20 hours ago, A'Villan said:

But not all that surprising. Had a look at their roster.

No one I've seen play all that much, but some very solid names.

Okafor, Holiday, Ingram, even Reddick and now Zion..

That's a strong squad with a good balance of experience and youth.

Every position has a player who puts up good numbers.

Arguably stronger than that Raptors team. At least without Kawaii.

Lonzo and Hart too. 

The Pelicans are my darkest of horses if they all gel.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Brumerican said:

Lonzo and Hart too. 

The Pelicans are my darkest of horses if they all gel.

I mean who would've thought Toronto would last season?

I know one person, in the hundreds if not thousands of opinions I came across who called them to win it fairly early on, due to rating their lineup.

Pelicans look real nice to me. We'll see I guess. Just imagine the hype around Zion if he was influential in a good campaign for the Pelicans, and won rookie of the year.

Denver, Philly, Blazers, Bucks, Warriors, Rockets, Clippers, Lakers and you can't count out the defending champions, all seem just as likely to take it out for me.

But you and me both know it's coming home to Chicago!

On 16/08/2019 at 11:05, A'Villan said:

DeMarcus Cousins does his ACL and is out indefinitely. Got to feel for the guy. That's potentially another championship that goes begging.

He's averaged a double-double for the last 10 years in his time on the court, could be his time as a top performer done now.

I'd feel more sorry for Cousins if he hadn't acted like a petulant child for most of his career.

On 18/08/2019 at 11:14, A'Villan said:

But you and me both know it's coming home to Chicago!

I'd take a 35 win season right now just to show some improvement. Detroit got in with 41 but I'm not sure we have the depth to go .500 just yet. 

If Lavine or Markks miss a prolonged period then it ain't happening but if everybody stays healthy and we get some actual PG play then you never know. Could sneak 8th seed.

Â