Pre-match thread

BOF

1 hour ago, Raver50032 said:

From that perspective, I agree that our ratio of home versus away fixtures is a dubious balance just now.

Sadly, while the likes of Don Goodman are allowed to be the pundit alongside a commentator, you'll always get biased remarks about Villa. We probably didn't deserve any credit against Wolves, but you can kind of feel him sticking a fork in the back of his hand whenever he has to say something positive about us.

So its not me that just thinks goodmans biased against villa. He irritates the life out of me. He always favours the home side.

Was never this bad in premier league

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AVTuco said:

I don't think he'll change anything either, Our players lost to better players away. No need to change anything, except that we need to take the game to Fulham and take initiative. Whether that means we are able to be dominant or not, we'll see. But we have to try.

5 - 0.

I disagree completely about losing to better players. We lost to a better team and that's down to Bruce. We have to take the game to every team regardless in this league. You can alter the team or tactics but you have to be positive with the ball. Time and again we look like we font want to commit players forwards. That has to change. 

Think we may see

Johnstone

Terry Hutton Chester

Elmohamady Whelan Hourihane Adomah

Snodgrass

Kodija Davis

With Onomah getting some time off the bench

The positive stuff Hutton did against Wolves happened in the centre of our penalty box so it could work putting him there (I don't think he's as much a penalty risk --- I've jinxed it now)

May be due to a continuing effort to regain full fitness but I don't think Snodgrass tracked back well against Wolves, putting him there gives him a bit of free attacking role and gives him some freedom to support the midfield and strikers and be a link between the two. Elmohamady and Adomah can provide enough width I think.

Think if we are positive we should win.

2-0 Villa :D

Kodija from just inside the box and a Hutton header from a corner.

4 hours ago, 8pints said:

Think we may see

Johnstone

Terry Hutton Chester

Elmohamady Whelan Hourihane Adomah

Snodgrass

Kodija Davis

With Onomah getting some time off the bench

The positive stuff Hutton did against Wolves happened in the centre of our penalty box so it could work putting him there (I don't think he's as much a penalty risk --- I've jinxed it now)

May be due to a continuing effort to regain full fitness but I don't think Snodgrass tracked back well against Wolves, putting him there gives him a bit of free attacking role and gives him some freedom to support the midfield and strikers and be a link between the two. Elmohamady and Adomah can provide enough width I think.

Think if we are positive we should win.

2-0 Villa :D

Kodija from just inside the box and a Hutton header from a corner.

I think we may well see 3@the back

but

RCB-Chester CCB-Terry LCB-Hutton

• Like 1

I wouldn't mind seeing a back 3 with Hutton in.

Johnston

Chester   Terry   Hutton

Adomah  Lyden  O'Hare  Snodgrass

Grealish              Hourihane

Kodjia

I also think Hogan could benefit from that system and plenty of creative sparks who would not look to play it long

I think we'll probably be able to grind out a win here. We're at home after all.

On 19/10/2017 at 09:37, Demitri_C said:

So its not me that just thinks goodmans biased against villa. He irritates the life out of me. He always favours the home side.

Was never this bad in premier league

The commentators do seem to have it in for us a bit. I've noticed that every time we're doing badly away (which is most of the time), they'll constantly over-hype the other team and wax lyrical about the supposed atmosphere in the ground. I get the impression they're playing on this "fallen giant" image a bit too much.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Mantis said:

I think we'll probably be able to grind out a win here. We're at home after all.

The commentators do seem to have it in for us a bit. I've noticed that every time we're doing badly away (which is most of the time), they'll constantly over-hype the other team and wax lyrical about the supposed atmosphere in the ground. I get the impression they're playing on this "fallen giant" image a bit too much.

Mantis you are 100% spot on with this. They play on this fallen giant and how much pressure the players are. All negative bollocks.

Winds the hell out of me.  Much preferred when we were on sky in premier league. More neutral than the biased championship  crap.

• Like 1

I don’t think we should make big changes, we have a side that have been working well together, so I think we should stick with it. I would start:

Johnstone

Elmo.          Chester            Terry           Hutton

Snodgrass   Hourihane   Whelan     Adomah

Kodjia           Davis

I doubt we'll see 442 for a while now. I imagine he'll sacrifice Davies and go with Onomah in a mf 3 with Whelan and Hourihane. Interesting to see how we react after last week's no show. I can see a 1-1 or narrow 1-0 win with us clinging on for dear life at the end and Bruce insisting it was a resiliant performance and we 'dust waaaselvz down n go again'.

On 18/10/2017 at 15:43, BOF said:

I'm only going on what I see from afar.  We've an awful lot of Leeds fans in Ireland for example, so their appeal is broad.  Sunderland are known to have a huge following.  Wolves, to me, come across as very well followed within the immediate area, but don't seem to have the national spread that Leeds have or the numbers that Sunderland have.  Not exactly a scientific observation mind.

I would agree with this. I've never met a Wolves fan that wasn't from Wolverhampton. 

On 10/17/2017 at 11:06, BOF said:

Saturday 3pm kick off at Villa Park.  The only non-Sky match sandwiched between 3 televised matches.  Obviously because this one is a home match :rant: 

The referee will be Mike Jones.  This will be his first ever game refereeing us in the Championship.  He's usually a Premier League referee.

I'm expecting a good reaction to the Wolves result.  There had better be!

Fulham have turned a corner similar to our own.  After a poor start of 3 draws and a defeat, they've since gone on a run of 1 defeat in 8 and have climbed to 9th in the league.  More relevantly, they currently sit 2nd in the away league with 11pts from 6 games (Wolves 13pts from 6).

I expect our unbeaten home run will continue.  I hope for a win but I'm expecting a 1-1 draw.

I'm expecting a draw too.fwiw.

I would like to see the quick feet and sharp decision making of O'Hare getting some game time tomorrow.

whether he can give us 90 minutes is debatable, but i would be tempted to see him in an advanced role mixing it with their defenders and unhinging them with his quick silver work....maybe in a 4-3-3 / 4-3--2-1with Adomah and Kodjia up front.

• Like 1

How we perform tomorrow is going to be really interesting . Let's hope we're on the front foot from the outset . I want to see us playing with some verve and panache ,these fans deserve some value for their hard-earned money . I'm really starting to despair at this non descript football that we continually serve up . He might of ,in his view , got rid of the losing mentality , now it's time to instil that winning mentality, and instilling it with a style that's not going to bore some to sleep .

• Like 1