Pre-match thread

BOF

3 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

I dont believe in coincidence for two seasons running

It's not co-incidence.  Sky have come out and said why they show us away more often.  It is to do with viewing figures.

• Like 1

Just now, BOF said:

It's not co-incidence.  Sky have come out and said why they show us away more often.  It is to do with viewing figures.

So does that mean teams such as leeds, sunderland and wolves will be featured mpre away from home as us?

Just now, Demitri_C said:

So does that mean teams such as leeds, sunderland and wolves will be featured mpre away from home as us?

Probably, yes.

2 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

I will be interested to see if this is the case as i cant recall no other side having so many away games shown as us last season!

I haven't done the numbers so I won't presume to know.  But the reasoning behind Sky's decision would be similar for the other big clubs.  Especially Sunderland and Leeds.  I'm not sure Wolves (or anyone else) would have a comparitively large enough fanbase tbqh.  They've f**k all outside the black country.

Just now, Andy81 said:

What are you basing this on out of interest?

I'm only going on what I see from afar.  We've an awful lot of Leeds fans in Ireland for example, so their appeal is broad.  Sunderland are known to have a huge following.  Wolves, to me, come across as very well followed within the immediate area, but don't seem to have the national spread that Leeds have or the numbers that Sunderland have.  Not exactly a scientific observation mind.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, BOF said:

I'm only going on what I see from afar.  We've an awful lot of Leeds fans in Ireland for example, so their appeal is broad.  Sunderland are known to have a huge following.  Wolves, to me, come across as very well followed within the immediate area, but don't seem to have the national spread that Leeds have or the numbers that Sunderland have.  Not exactly a scientific observation mind.

Fair enough.

We don't really see it that way ourselves to be honest, I live in London, and London Wolves have been going since 1966 for example, but as you say, it's hardly scientific.

Anyway, this is off topic, I'll be interested to see how you get on against Fulham.  I've not seen them this season.  Will Greelish (sp) be back?

2 hours ago, BOF said:

I haven't done the numbers so I won't presume to know.  But the reasoning behind Sky's decision would be similar for the other big clubs.  Especially Sunderland and Leeds.  I'm not sure Wolves (or anyone else) would have a comparitively large enough fanbase tbqh.  They've f**k all outside the black country.

Great so while we are in this league we will be lucky to get three televised games at villa park and loads away. Annoying.

3 hours ago, BOF said:

Surely being home or away doesn't matter to the TV watching fan? I understand us being on more but there's no reason to differentiate between home or away really. The venue will make little difference to those who don't go anyway. 

7 minutes ago, dn1982 said:

Surely being home or away doesn't matter to the TV watching fan? I understand us being on more but there's no reason to differentiate between home or away really. The venue will make little difference to those who don't go anyway. 

It does, because the home side get a larger slice.

It‘s away to distribute the finances.

For example

.....I can‘t be @r$ed

2 minutes ago, Grasshopper said:

It does, because the home side get a larger slice.

It‘s away to distribute the finances.

For example

.....I can‘t be @r$ed

That's the benefit to the club not to the audience figures 

7 hours ago, dn1982 said:

Incorrect. It's to do with the audience that doesn't travel versus the one that does. 

21 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Yeah i see from that point of view but from my own circumstance  i cant get to alot of home games living outside brum.  It would make a change to watch a home game when we dont get biased commentating for the home side against us amd always showing us struggling away from home.

Why not show us at home vs Sheffield Wednesday for example? You can bet they will show the one at Hillsborough again.

From that perspective, I agree that our ratio of home versus away fixtures is a dubious balance just now.

Sadly, while the likes of Don Goodman are allowed to be the pundit alongside a commentator, you'll always get biased remarks about Villa. We probably didn't deserve any credit against Wolves, but you can kind of feel him sticking a fork in the back of his hand whenever he has to say something positive about us.

16 hours ago, BOF said:

Well Luke Skywalker is an alleged Wolves fan... and I'd wager that the Starks of Winterfell are Wolves fans too... :P

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, BOF said:

Incorrect. It's to do with the audience that doesn't travel versus the one that does. 

So it all hinges on 25000 people watching it? That's not a big swing of people and that's being generous! I'm sure audience figures would be higher if it was at villa park as the games are generally better. We are awful to watch away most times. 

It's obvious to see why us and Leeds are always on sky and away from home. Two biggest fanbases in the league and also globally supported. Anyway on to the game, and I think it would be typical villa to now go on a bad run after being on a good run. Fulham are decent and will be a tough nut to crack. I prey for a win, but I think Fulham will grab a point. 1.1

22 hours ago, Raver50032 said:

As a season ticket holder, I can't speak for everyone of course. But I'd rather see the away games I can't get to on Sky, than the home games I am always at. It's a crooked logic, but a good way for me to see my team where otherwise I might not be able to without looking for an illicit stream.

Valid.

18 hours ago, dn1982 said:

I don't think Bruce will change anything. I can see him saying that the players need a chance to put it behind them so will go with the same team. 

I would shake it up. Until Wolves the results were good but performances weren't that good so I'd go 

SJ

RDL Chester Terry Hutton

Snodgrass Onomah Hourihane Adomah 

Davis Hogan 

Steer Whelan Grealish OHare Kodija Samba Lyden 

Kodija needs a kick up the arse. Lyden deserves to be involved. Grealish would be good last 15 if needed. 

I don't think he'll change anything either, Our players lost to better players away. No need to change anything, except that we need to take the game to Fulham and take initiative. Whether that means we are able to be dominant or not, we'll see. But we have to try.

5 - 0.

• Like 1