Ratings & Reactions: Wolves v Villa

limpid

Match Polls  

110 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your man of the match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 21/10/17 at 14:00

1 hour ago, VERB27 said:

We don't need to win every game, we need to get out of this shit show of a league.

Wolves were decent, not amazing. Thought if we had set up without Davis and an extra man in MF it would have been a better game for us.

Got to press on, the Championship is a long old slog, we're gonna lose some. We need to win the home games, games vs weaker teams and limit our loses vs the 2 or 3 other good sides in the division. 

It hurts, but we need to bounce back behind the team and be in the mixer come April/May next year! 

I generally agree with your philosophy, but i am not so sure with the set up.

Their set up didn't necessarily win them the match....the business that having 11 players at it and the desire to get the points by imposing their game on us.

We are / were too passive.....If we had 10 players at it and up for it, we would have given them a game.....because Hutton was the only one with desire.

They looked like they had all played yesterday.

This was a real test of our credentials after beating up on pretty much the dregs of the league. We failed spectacularly. It showed that we have a terrible manager and we are a playoff team at best. 

Also it was easy to predict that we would be terrible and get beaten today. I wasn't excited for game and watching it was a chore because it was all so inevitable. I'm just glad wolves got a second so I didn't have to suffer the samba upfront cameo. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, TRO said:

They played 3-4-3?.....so had 4 in the middle the same as us.

we had 2 wide midfielders who offered very little in terms of synergy, so I guess the 2 in the middle did have too much work.

at times like this they don't look like they are supporting each other, its disjointed.

I can't say where the problem is.....i can only speculate......but i can say there is one and it is rearing its ugly head in more than just this game.

The thing with a 3-4-3 is that it allow for lots of flexibility. So with us playing 4-4-2 it meant when attacking they could have the two wide attackers attack our fullbacks their wide midfielders could occupy our widemen and then the extra centre back can either step up into central midfield our one of the wide centre backs can overload us on on of the flanks. Meaning when in possession not only do they normally have an extra man in midfield that extra man can manifest anywhere either wide or centre. What you need to counter that when playing a 4-4-2 is either a second striker type that will drop into midfield and only push up in the final third and a ball playing centre back happy to step up into midfield when on the attack.

13 minutes ago, Philosopher said:

The thing with a 3-4-3 is that it allow for lots of flexibility. So with us playing 4-4-2 it meant when attacking they could have the two wide attackers attack our fullbacks their wide midfielders could occupy our widemen and then the extra centre back can either step up into central midfield our one of the wide centre backs can overload us on on of the flanks. Meaning when in possession not only do they normally have an extra man in midfield that extra man can manifest anywhere either wide or centre. What you need to counter that when playing a 4-4-2 is either a second striker type that will drop into midfield and only push up in the final third and a ball playing centre back happy to step up into midfield when on the attack.

But if one system was better than the other everyone would use it.....but there are umpteen.

Every system still relies on every player doing their job and being "at it"

4-4-2 is fine for us if everyone is applying themselves with gusto......half our team looked like they played yesterday.....but tragically i have seen similar before.

We had players who were struggling with basic elements of the game, like controlling the ball and losing their marker....i could go on.

I think its more about players than systems and i'm not discarding systems, but we had too many players, Flat.

ps our wingers should have exploited their back 3, but they just lost themselves.

Edited by TRO

11 minutes ago, sidcow said:

We're so far away from them it's frightening. Not even at the races. Seems they know how to spend big money better than us. 

What's frightening is that they'd not even be close to staying up if they got promotion. The gulf after the gulf.

Didn't press up enough. When they had it they had far too much time. We should have been further up the pitch.

Too many players got bullied off the ball and we didn't fight for it enough.

They wanted it more and we gave too much respect. 

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, flamingsombrero said:

What's frightening is that they'd not even be close to staying up if they got promotion. The gulf after the gulf.

I'm not so sure. All 3 promoted teams are out of the relegation zone currently. Only Brighton struggling. 

I always thought promoted teams tended to come straight back down but in actual fact that is not the case. 

I guess if you have a team used to winning who have a couple of better quality signings added, they tend to do better than the teams who struggled the previous year but avoided relegation who have probably pissed away some big money on a couple panic buy gambles. 

4 hours ago, kwoktolai said:

We are not going up 

Not under Bruce!

Too static. No movement other than sideways passing until hoof into the final third and then absolutely no idea what to do with it. Any build up play was way too slow giving Wolves players ample opportunity to get back into position. This has been the case time and time again when Villa play better teams under Bruce and Villa will get spanked playing this way again against Fulham. Ruddy didn’t even have a save to make other than basic catching.

Dreadful performance until O’Hare was brought on but by then Wolves were in third gear taking the piss playing keep ball and they should have won by a greater margin.

• Like 1

We were abysmal. Wolves absolutely battered us, could of been 4 or 5. It was actually hard to watch they smashed us all over the pitch for the full 90 minutes. Wolves are decent but not that good we offered nothing. With the squad we have going to wolves for a point shows how out of depth our useless so called manager is. Bruce out! 

• Like 1

Well that was a eye opener... 

The gulf between the 2 sides is quite unbelieveable considering the money we have spent over last few windows.

Im not sure any of these players will be good enough if we go up anytime soon. Would take many more of Dr X's millions to get us anywhere near a side capable of staying.

Reality is a b***h

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, pacbuddies said:

Bruce has had 12 months, 2 transfer windows and £millions to spend on players yet his team was taught a footballing lesson by a manager that has only been in the country for a few months and a team with a number of players that have never played in England before.

When managers like this are available to the likes of Wolves why on earth does our owner think it is a better idea to hire a tactical dinosaur!

Brilliant point which just goes to show that you don’t need a lot of time for your team to gel if your manager buys the right players to fit the system you want to play.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, brummybloke said:

Didn't press up enough. When they had it they had far too much time. We should have been further up the pitch.

Too many players got bullied off the ball and we didn't fight for it enough.

They wanted it more and we gave too much respect. 

fine resume

The difference between „promotion candidate 1“ & „promotion candidate 2“ is/was scary.

Lessons learned from today?

1 - Appoint manager who knows what he wants to do

2 - Buy/coach players to fit

3 - Bruce no can do

• Like 1

Change the half time drink or chat because I knew we would come out in the second half and concede. Seen this happen too many times. Villa need to stamp some authority on the game from the off and not sit back and wait for the inevitable to happen and then try to chase the game.

As the manager said "dust themselves off and go again" but I hope with some more intent and  little more running around by Kojia might help. We have the players but still not playing as a team and tactics might need a tweak.

Hutton MOTM and very rarely lets Villa down.

Caught most of the 2nd half.

We didn't try and pressure them until they got well into our half, that's an instruction and I think we should have tried to do it further up the pitch so the ball couldn't get to their effective players. 

The tempo they set was far too quick for Whelan, he looked like a right dope whenever he got near it unfortunately. 

I don't think I saw hourihane once.

I guess those comments mean we certainly lost the midfield battle.

We defended ok, but their first goal annoyed me.  They had 2 players in the box and we had 4 defenders.  I know Elmo slipped, but that ball should have been headed away before that.  Nice finish though. 

Hutton tried to take the game to them and went on on particularly good run, but as ever the cross was behind everyone.  I forgave him because he was on his left foot though. 

Davis didn't hold the ball up.  Kodjia was ineffective because we couldn't get midfield the get on the ball.

So in conclusion, we were bettered, but we were tactically not set up correctly.  We played too deep, again..

Think Bruce got it wrong.  

I always prefer to go down swinging, than seemingly accept a defeat and limit the damage. We've an expensive squad, supposedly good - let's go into games thinking we can beat everyone and get some swagger.  I'll take a loss trying to win.

Â