Ratings & Reactions: Wolves v Villa

limpid

Match Polls  

110 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your man of the match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 21/10/17 at 14:00

Just now, Demitri_C said:

Not for me, the amount of times our players were doing this side to side rubbish again and not going forward with urgency. We didn't even try test their back line until around 80th minute.

wolves were good with the ball but we were woeful with it today

We always have been woeful with it. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

They were quality, don't kid yourself. got some great players. 

As for promotion teams not being spanked (pompeyvillain) Chelsea couldn't handle palace today, they hadn't won a game.

I'm sorry but I don't agree. They were decent enough but most of it was just that we were absolutely shocking.

• Like 2

Was saddened to see hutton start but for me he was excellent today - pity about the rest .

wolves were far better than I expected but we played into their hands and sat back giving them far too much respect - we only started to play when 2 down .

bruce should have changed formation at half time as it was clear we were 2nd best .

we are a point off the play offs and 5 points off the top 2 so all still to play for - put this game behind us and get back to winning ways next week . 

Edited by Eastie
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

Villa has the best players in division? LOL... Wolves players are so much better it's not funny. It's sad because I'm losing hope again. I suppose we could get up if we manage to get into play-offs then have all the luck in the world. We're just not good enough, not the manager, not the players.

Thought we did well first half. Under the cosh but didn't look particularly uncomfortable. 

They completely outclassed us after half time. It was like watching a cup tie between a prem side and someone from league1. Not sure what was said at half time but we barely touched the ball in the ten mins after before they scored.

Adomah and Snodgrass were decent first half but showed nothing after the break.

Wolves look nailed on for automatic promotion. We need to pick up as many points as possible to run them close. Should be looking at bouncing back first up against Fulham next week.

Bit of a reality check tonight.

• Like 1

Too many basic errors and low level of personal performance from us today.

I am not taking anything away from Wolves.....they did their work well and exploited our poor play.....but we made them look good.

in terms of basic football, that was a horror show.....unless of course just throwing your body in front of the ball is your bag...In technical terms that was embarrassing.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

We made it easy for Wolves. We conceded the midfield to wolves from the start by going with a 4-4-2, which played right in to Wolves hands. Throw in Wolves very good front 3 and they were always going to have chances. Had we had an extra body in the middle of the park they could have got tight to Neves  (who ran the game from a defensive midfield position) and made life much harder for Wolves. So Wolves played well yes, but we let them.

Kodja isn't a striker that can play in a front two (this was shown by how he was never close enough to Davis to receive the ball from him. However he doesn't need to as he is tailor made for the lone striker role. I would've picked Davis ahead of Kodja as he offers better ball retention which is what was needed to play against this Wolves team.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Eastie said:

Was saddened to see hutton start but for me he was excellent today - pity about the rest .

wolves were far better than I expected but we played into their hands and sat back giving them far too much respect - we only started to play when 2 down .

bruce should have changed formation at half time as it was clear we were 2nd best .

we are a point off the play offs and 5 points off the top 2 so all still to play for - put this game behind us and get back to winning ways next week . 

Hutton was good defensively, but as usual pointless going forward. Can't pass, can't cross, can't look up when running with the ball.

• Like 1

From the BBC http://www.bbc.com/sport/live/football/41387694

Mel Eves

Former Wolves forward on BBC WM

That was thoroughly deserved. This is a game we were all really anticipating. It promised to be a mouthwatering prospect for both teams

For Villa, off the back of four wins, this was a massive test for them as well as Wolves.

They will be disappointed, but I can guarantee Villa fans that this is the best 90 minutes from Wolves all season. Overall they have been very convincing.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, AVTuco said:

Villa has the best players in division? LOL... Wolves players are so much better it's not funny. It's sad because I'm losing hope again. I suppose we could get up if we manage to get into play-offs then have all the luck in the world. We're just not good enough, not the manager, not the players.

I think in defense and attack we are as good as anyone, but the centrre midfield is poor. Hourihane is decent, Whelan is a ball winner whose legs have gone (both slow), Lansbury has been poor, Jedinak is strong and good in the air, but otherwise the same as Whelan. We need to play Onomah in central midfield he is the only real quality there. Against most of the teams in this league we can win as only really reading can keep the ball as well as wolves and they don't have as much quality in forward positions, so promotion should still be a realistic target. Any team that knows how to keep it and use in midfield will give us major problems.

Edited by Philosopher

6 minutes ago, Philosopher said:

We made it easy for Wolves. We conceded the midfield to wolves from the start by going with a 4-4-2, which played right in to Wolves hands. Throw in Wolves very good front 3 and they were always going to have chances. Had we had an extra body in the middle of the park they could have got tight to Neves  (who ran the game from a defensive midfield position) and made life much harder for Wolves. So Wolves played well yes, but we let them.

Kodja isn't a striker that can play in a front two (this was shown by how he was never close enough to Davis to receive the ball from him. However he doesn't need to as he is tailor made for the lone striker role. I would've picked Davis ahead of Kodja as he offers better ball retention which is what was needed to play against this Wolves team.

Players have to step up to the plate.....our midfield was lacking in just about everything.

we can't expect to go far playing like that.

We were tight but scruffy in the first half, second half we just ran out of steam and allowed them to play.

we have players who can play the ball quickly....but we don't play them.

Onomah should have been in today.....but i fear in general we are not geared for retaining the ball.....I think we are going to disappoint, unless we can improve the basics.

ps i think that was the worst game i have seen Kodjia play for us.

14 minutes ago, Philosopher said:

Hutton was good defensively, but as usual pointless going forward. Can't pass, can't cross, can't look up when running with the ball.

Another case of limitation in our players.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, TRO said:

Players have to step up to the plate.....our midfield was lacking in just about everything.

we can't expect to go far playing like that.

We were tight but scruffy in the first half, second half we just ran out of steam and allowed them to play.

we have players who can play the ball quickly....but we don't play them.

Onomah should have been in today.....but i fear in general we are not geared for retaining the ball.....I think we are going to disappoint, unless we can improve the basics.

ps i think that was the worst game i have seen Kodjia play for us.

I don't think that was the two central midfielder's fault, I think it was Bruce's fault, they were massively outnumbered in the middle.

39 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

Cue massive overeactions now. Win next week and we will be right back in it. Wolves look the best team in the division at the moment.

Right back in what ? We just got played off the park , and trust me , that is not an overreaction. 

• Like 3

Â