UEFA Nations League 2019

mikeyp102

12 hours ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Ridiculous competition geared towards greater 'inclusion' for the Euros, when sport isn't about 'inclusion'. 

Why is it ridiculous? Its better then pointless friendlies, football is about fans having some fun and rivalry.

Edited by Mic09
  • Like 1

Yeah I back the idea for a competition that makes the competitive games for smaller nations more relevant.

The problem with this Nations League is that it's so complicated I can't really tell yet if it's going to work out or not.

But the thinking behind it makes sense to me.

Let's be hones,t is anybody really surprised that @Dr_Pangloss hates it? :D 

Is it really complicated? If you win division A you are champions, if you win division B, C or D you get promoted, best placed team in each division who hasn't already qualified for the Euros gets an invite. That's really all you need to know. 

1 hour ago, The_Rev said:

Is it really complicated? If you win division A you are champions, if you win division B, C or D you get promoted, best placed team in each division who hasn't already qualified for the Euros gets an invite. That's really all you need to know. 

Sounds complicated to me.

I'd keep it same as before but just create 1 group with the minnows in it so they play each other for 1 spot at the finals, or a play off spot. Then the rest of the groups don't have a token team of whipping boys.

1 hour ago, The_Rev said:

I never got how it can be complicated. What's complicated about it?

the format of the league is easy to understand, the way it impacts rankings and seedings is easy to understand

the main complication is whats the **** point of it?

usual UEFA, who asked for this? the qualifiers were looking broken because people were getting fed up of dead rubbers and shit games vs the whipping boys, friendlies were broken because they were boring

the qualifiers still take place however now the team that wins the nations league divisions in June 2019 will automatically qualify, so for example France win A, Ukraine win B, Serbia win C, Georgia win D then those 4 teams will qualify automatically for euro 2020, the June finals will take place after matchday 4 in the qualifiers, there will be 6 more rounds of matches - what happens if france, ukraine, serbia and georgia are all in the same Euro qualfiers? what happens if Ukraine will league B in June qualify and then decide to play a youth team and debutantes for the next 6 qualifiers? in effect every game those 4 teams play after they win is a dead rubber, their games become a strange mix of meaningless for them and potentially easier for their opponents, even failing that you still have the qualifier scenario where germany put 10 goals past Gibraltar - so what has it actually fixed? 

its a money spinner for them + the 1 Fa 1 vote appease to the shitter nations by throwing them a bit of hope they dont really deserve

the Euros was a perfect tournament, the best in international football, now the extra teams, the numerous hosts and this bollocks is UEFA trying their hardest to **** it up

Just now, andym said:

McGinn has been the best player on the pitch.

Can't believe Scotland still play Naismith, he's just done one of the worst misses i've seen in a while.

Agreed, won the ball a fair few times, is passing it quickly, lots of one touch and is looking for the front man and forward pass every time.

Scotland are awful though.

I'm loving this competition, being Faroes it is brilliant that we finally have something to play for, let alone that we can qualify for the Euro's, and who cares if there is one really crap team in the Euro's, Uefa have already destroyed it by expanding it to 24 teams. Having one terrible team will most likely add some goals to the competition :P

Imagine if we won it (Which I honestly believe we have an outside chance to do), a county with 50k people in the Euro's, that would be mental :)

Sweden collapse against Turkey 2 - 0 and cruising, losing 2 - 3.

Sloppy passing and finishing in the final 3rd. Manager choosing "safe" subs rather then trying to close the game.

Should have won the game easily but gave it away.

23 minutes ago, sne said:

Sweden collapse against Turkey 2 - 0 and cruising, losing 2 - 3.

Sloppy passing and finishing in the final 3rd. Manager choosing "safe" subs rather then trying to close the game.

Should have won the game easily but gave it away.

Gutless. Moment Turkey scored they were going to win. Guaranteed

Â