Harvey Weinstein

maqroll

7 minutes ago, Xela said:

More new names and allegations coming forward. How on earth was a lid kept on this for so long?!

He was very, very, very powerful in Hollywood. He could destroy a career. That's very good at keeping mouths shut (at least publicly). Quite a lot of people seemed to know, but nothing was ever openly said. Possibly because he also seems to have quietly settled a few matters, no doubt with associated hush money and NDA.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

Nonce !

I don't think he targeted children, although I daresay it does happen in the Hollywood cesspit. 

15 hours ago, sheepyvillian said:

Take it from me , anyone in prison ,who has been convicted of a sexual offence , is termed a " Nonce" .

The word itself is an Home Office acronym ,= not of normal criminal element .

I didn't know where the word came from and now I do!

17 hours ago, sheepyvillian said:

Take it from me , anyone in prison ,who has been convicted of a sexual offence , is termed a " Nonce" .

The word itself is an Home Office acronym ,= not of normal criminal element .

Perhaps you have first hand experience and I don't but the internet says in prison slang a nonce is a paedophile.

• Like 1

I'm pretty sceptical about this 'nonce' etymology, for three reasons:

1) These 'backronyms' are usually dubious (like Council House And Violent or Prisoner Of her Majesty)

2) There are other explanations around, like deriving from 'nonsense' or 'nancy-boy' and other acronym-based explanations like Not On Normal Courtyard Exercise

3) 'Not Of Normal Criminal Element' sounds pretty clunky for a supposed official classification. Wouldn't the Home Office call them Abnormal Criminals or something easier to remember instead?

However, it doesn't seem like there's a definitive correct answer, so I guess it's a mystery. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, ender4 said:

is his name pronounced WINE-STY-N or WINE-STEE-N?

The wife and I have been on about this all week. The standard German pronunciation goes: "ei" = "EYE", "ie" = "EE". So it OUGHT to be "Wine-styne". But Americans with "ein" names often seem to want to avoid the 'rhyming' effect, and go for "ine-een". Possibly why some names - like Springsteen - have altered spelling, to make clear the preferred pronunciation. 

the hypocrisy of Hollywood is what annoys me about this case. Roman Polanski and Woody Allen(who has defended Weinstein today) are known as great directors and have done things as dodgy as Weinstein. There past rarely gets brought up and are nominated for awards. 

I've never understood the Polanski thing. I always assumed that there must've been doubts around his guilt. Turns out that he's definitely guilty. He coerced a 13 year-old girl into having sex with him. He's an absolute scumbag who's been avoiding justice for years. Why do so many 'stars' come out in support of him?

53 minutes ago, Zatman said:

the hypocrisy of Hollywood is what annoys me about this case. Roman Polanski and Woody Allen(who has defended Weinstein today) are known as great directors and have done things as dodgy as Weinstein. There past rarely gets brought up and are nominated for awards. 

Polanski hasn't set foot in America, since he fled for sodomizing a 14 yr , old ,girl . They tried to arrest him in Switzerland a few years ago , but the slimy nonce managed to wriggle out of it . What made me really sick was people like Euan McGregor coming out in support of him ,and quite a few other notable faces . He's still playing the sympathy card from that whole Sharon Tate thing , which is also appalling . He looks like a wrong en ,tbh .

Polanski is forever playing the victim card. His latest movie 'D'après une histoire vraie' was panned by critics and Cannes Film Festival and instead of taking the criticism he went straight to "It's a shame that my reputation is affecting my art" or some shit. When you rape a 13 year old girl you deserve your past, present and future legacy to be sullied for all time. The fact he's even allowed to make films and that actors and actresses still work with him blows my mind.. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Daweii said:

Polanski is forever playing the victim card. His latest movie 'D'après une histoire vraie' was panned by critics and Cannes Film Festival and instead of taking the criticism he went straight to "It's a shame that my reputation is affecting my art" or some shit. When you rape a 13 year old girl you deserve your past, present and future legacy to be sullied for all time. The fact he's even allowed to make films and that actors and actresses still work with him blows my mind.. 

I'd be interested to know whether any of the actresses who have come out to slam Weinstein have ever starred in a Woody Allen or Roman Polanski movie.

1 minute ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

I'd be interested to know whether any of the actresses who have come out to slam Weinstein have ever starred in a Woody Allen or Roman Polanski movie.

Eva Green who has slammed and accused Weinstein of sexual assault stars in Roman Polanski's new movie. Not sure of any others, but that is the freshest one that springs to mind. 

37 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

I'm more interested in the list of actresses who haven't come out with a direct accusation as of yet, because you can bet there were a few who would sell their sole for a shot at glory, and you can be certain that shit wasn't only interested in those "playing" hard to get.

Also, isn't it interesting that the eponymous assistants that are part of essentially every story remain nameless thus far.

Edited by villakram
  • Like 1

Â