Star Wars Battlefront 2 (2017)

RunRickyRun

5 minutes ago, wazzap24 said:

What a game. Brilliant so far and I've only played galactic assault. 

Really? Why? 

What is so good about it? Is it because it's Star Wars or do you think the gametypes / progression / weapons are good, balanced and fair? 

Edited by PieFacE

41 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

Really? Why? 

What is so good about it? Is it because it's Star Wars or do you think the gametypes / progression / weapons are good, balanced and fair? 

Pew pew noises are enough for fanboys :P 

42 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

Really? Why? 

I'm not a 'gamer'. Since 2015 I've played one game and that was the one before this, so I don't have experience of other games to compare 

I also don't really get the issues with micro transactions, as far as can tell, every game my lads play either has paid DLC or MT. Either/or and rarely neither. 

Is it because it's Star Wars? Well I've just ran around Hoth wiping people out on a Tauntaun, I'm not gonna lie, that kind of gives it the edge for me! 

The game modes are excellent, the array of things you can play as is awesome. Enhanced troopers, vehicles and heroes - it's great. 

The in game scoring is fair and it's easier to rake up points than I thought. I've only topped my team once and often been near the bottom, but I've still played as Bossk, Boba, Kylo Ren and Solo. 

The weapons are hard to master. The recoil on the blasters is insane on some, but I'm getting there. 

The P2W element doesn't seem too bad to me. You have to level up through game play and challenges, before you can use anything you may have bought. 

The hero unlock thing is a bit much, but they have already dropped the required credits down by a huge amount after some backlash on Reddit. 

I appreciate I'll be very much in a minority on here, but I can only go off my own judgement and I'm loving it. That's what we play games for right? 

I'm not a 'gamer'. Since 2015 I've played one game and that was the one before this, so I don't have experience of other games to compare 

And this is the market they want. With no disrespect meant to @wazzap24. If gaming isn't really your thing and you haven't spent any time playing their competitors, this might be good fun. You've also suggested that you'll pay for microtransactions. Great, EA will love you!

EA have spent a lot of money acquiring the license from Disney. They don't just want core gamers. If that was their target, they'd just make their own sci-fi IP and make an FPS. they've paid millions for the SW licence, and to justify that, they need to lure in people that wouldn't normally play a sci-fi game.

I hope you have fun, but it's an exploitative piece of shit and indicative of where EA and their triple A rivals want to take the industry. Every few years they face a backlash and try to pretend to be a 'gamers first' company again, until the suits decide it's safe to show their true colours again. **** EA.

It might seem like a ridiculous overreaction if you're not much of a gamer, but it;s hard not to be furious about things like this when gaming is your main hobby. It's almost like the Chelsea/Man City takeover and splurging. They contributed to making a mockery of something I love, but the casual fans they acquired don't see what the problem is. :P 

Edited by Davkaus

Did you play the original Battlefront games? On PS2?

My hatred of these remakes is that they're somehow worse than games released 12 years ago on an inferior console, and that's without the P2W bullshit.

EA man.

4 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

And this is the market they want. With no disrespect meant to @wazzap24. If gaming isn't really your thing and you haven't spent any time playing their competitors, this might be good fun. You've also suggested that you'll pay for microtransactions. Great, EA will love you! EA have spent a lot of money acquiring the license from Disney. They don't just want core gamers. If that was their target, they'd just make their own sci-fi IP and make an FPS. they've paid millions for the SW licence, and to justify that, they need to lure in people that wouldn't normally play a sci-fi game. I hope you have fun, but it's a **** disgrace of a game and indicative of where EA and their triple A rivals want to take the industry.

None taken dude, as I said, I'll probably be in a group of me, myself and I on this. I do understand the complaints about P2W etc, but as I said, maybe it's just me, but my kids have always had games that require buying 'map packs' and other things, on top of the base game. 

The only thing I will say is, it does not appear to me that you have to buy stuff to progress. All my progression so far has been 'in game' and I've built up credits pretty quickly. As I said, it's pointless buying crates until you level up anyway, becuase you can't use many of them. 

3 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

Did you play the original Battlefront games? On PS2?

My hatred of these remakes is that they're somehow worse than games released 12 years ago on an inferior console, and that's without the P2W bullshit.

EA man.

No, I played a couple of games on the Game Cube and another console, I think it was Clone Wars and Force Unleashed? 

personally, I do think some people will see the hoohah about P2W and write it off. It doesn't seem that bigger deal to me. 

20 minutes ago, LakotaDakota said:

oh no you have to actually play the game for a bit to unlock everything...

People are just f**king cry-babies

In fairness, they were taking the piss a bit with the heroes. 

I've played for 8hrs so far and amassed 25k credits. Initially they wanted 60k just to unlock ONE OT Hero. That's a bit rich imo and went too far. 10k now seems about right, a nice balance of grind and reward. 

Anyway, if there's anybody lurking who doesn't hate it yet, I'm on Xbox as 'AVFCVILLANS' for about 4-5 hours a day for the next 12 months! 

200.gif

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wazzap24 said:

None taken dude, as I said, I'll probably be in a group of me, myself and I on this. I do understand the complaints about P2W etc, but as I said, maybe it's just me, but my kids have always had games that require buying 'map packs' and other things, on top of the base game. 

The issue is that buying map packs and other content is a relatively new concept in the grand scheme of video games. Gaming is easier to dissect if I split it into two eras. We have the pre-2006 era and the post-2006 era.

Pre-2006 map packs were free and additional downloadable content was also free. We did have paid for content in the form of expansion packs, but these were often bigger than the base game they were expanding on and cost half the price. Also games often had secret levels and unlockable costumes/items for those committed to completing the game 100%.

Post-2006 map packs were no longer free and additional downloadable content was also no longer free (secret levels kinda died when they could charge for them). To try and offset how expensive this downloadable content was getting the Season Pass was created. The humble expansion pack unfortunately went the way of the dodo and died for the most part, while unlockable costumes and items were monetised in Loot Crates and other gambling-lite features. 

So when we get annoyed at Pay To Win features and Loot Crates it's because Publishers don't seem to be satiated by what they have already managed to monetise. They aren't content with charging for map packs, downloadable content, season passes, loot crates and anything else that was once free. Our concern stems from not knowing what they are going to try and monetise next.

Edited by Daweii

Ahh got ya @Daweii 

My eldest started playing about then, hence me not really knowing any differently. 

In the prequel to this game, you had to buy DLC to play new maps and it split the base, so to me, MT's are better as we will (allegedly) get all the extra content for 'free' and MT's are optional. That's why I don't mind. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Daweii said:

So when we get annoyed at Pay To Win features and Loot Crates it's because Publishers don't seem to be satiated by what they have already managed to monetise. They aren't content with charging for map packs, downloadable content, season passes, loot crates and anything else that was once free. Our concern stems from not knowing what they are going to try and monetise next.

To be fair to this particular game, All future content including maps is free (probably after people whinged about the season pass in the first game, especially as it does massively split the player base) & they are doing weekly community events & such

Got the free DL code the other day. Had a go on campaign mode - seems to be quite good.  

Didnt enjoy the multiplayer that much. Probs because I’m not very good and kept getting killed too easily. Started to get on my nerves a bit actually. 

At the minute, I’m kind of thinking, “glad I didn’t pay for this”. I reckon I will come to like the game though. Big Star Wars fan, so it’s getting me well in the mood for the upcoming film. 

17 hours ago, LakotaDakota said:

oh no you have to actually play the game for a bit to unlock everything...

People are just f**king cry-babies

Yeah but 40 hours of gameplay without unlocking anything else, to unlock 1 hero like Darth Vader?

Do you really think that's fair? 

People spend £40-50 on a Star Wars game TO play as the iconic characters, not to grind.

Yeah, the credit requirement across the board (not just for the best heroes) has been reduced by 75%. I did read, though, that they also reduced the credits you get when you clear the campaign, can't recall by how much though.

17 minutes ago, hogso said:

Yeah, the credit requirement across the board (not just for the best heroes) has been reduced by 75%. I did read, though, that they also reduced the credits you get when you clear the campaign, can't recall by how much though.

Only for Versio. She needs 5k now, so they've adjusted the campaign reward accordingly. 

Â