Incident in South Kensington

Dr_Pangloss

3 minutes ago, Ingram85 said:

Can that driver who members of the public pinned down sue for assault? I would if I was him especially if it exacerbated any injuries id had from the crash.

Why would you want to do that? 

25 minutes ago, Ingram85 said:

Can that driver who members of the public pinned down sue for assault? I would if I was him especially if it exacerbated any injuries id had from the crash.

He should sue the people he injured for denting his car.

29 minutes ago, Ingram85 said:

Can the 11 people he injured sue him for assault?

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Can the 11 people he injured sue him for assault?

I mean, yeah, but they won't have to. That's why car insurance is a thing.

Just because he drove dangerously and injured people doesn't give other people the right to pile on.

Edited by Davkaus
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

Just because he drove dangerously and injured people doesn't give other people the right to pile on.

Maybe people are jumpy and liable to overreact with all the pavement driving recently in London.

1 minute ago, coda said:

Maybe people are jumpy and liable to overreact with all the pavement driving recently in London.

Yeah, it'd be an interesting case if  the guy is injured and someone has to decide what constitutes reasonable force if you fear a terrorist attack, that's for sure.

13 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

The worlds going mad if people think he shouldn't of been restrained.

So if you have a tyre blow out for eg driving down a main road and end up skidding and sliding out of control can I drag you out the car and put you under restraint despite not knowing if you're badly injured, having a heart attack, or some black out or summat? What if you've broken your arm or injured your back but I don't know that? 

• Like 2

I think we need a concrete number of when an action is acceptable. I propose:

1-2 casualties, nothing.

3-7 casualties, you can tut.

8-15 casualties, you can pin him down and give him a few digs

16+, you can pick him up, and piledrive him in the ground, then set him on fire.

Edited by Davkaus
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

The worlds going mad if people think he shouldn't of been restrained.

I think that's a little unfair - I think if you think of him as a man who has lost control of a car, then there are all sorts of reason for that - I don't want us as a society to get to the point where anyone who mounts a kerb in an accident is fair game for being piled on by the public.

It's a difficult situation clearly and you can understand people being keen to react, but ultimately, if it's a fault on the car, or a medical incident that caused him to crash, then this could have been any of us. I'd hate to think that in the stress of having lost control of my car, my horror at having hit pedestrians and any confusion from the accident should be exacerbated by the idea that it's absolutely the only sane option to drag me out of the car and pin me to the ground "just in case".

if he'd been a terrorist, going at the car would have been brave but foolhardy, if he's not, it would have been reckless and unpleasant - I get that other incidents mean that people are going to react, that fear is a very powerful stimulus to action - but I don't think it's right, and I don't think that necessarily makes me insane.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Ingram85 said:

So if you have a tyre blow out for eg driving down a main road and end up skidding and sliding out of control can I drag you out the car and put you under restraint despite not knowing if you're badly injured, having a heart attack, or some black out or summat? What if you've broken your arm or injured your back but I don't know that? 

The people thought there was another attack, and can you blame them? The location played a bit part as well. I see where you are coming from, but you cannot blame people for doing what they did. You would have to be a clearing in the woods to try and start suing people who thought they were doing a good deed.

Edited by Rugeley Villa

7 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

I think that's a little unfair - I think if you think of him as a man who has lost control of a car, then there are all sorts of reason for that - I don't want us as a society to get to the point where anyone who mounts a kerb in an accident is fair game for being piled on by the public.

It's a difficult situation clearly and you can understand people being keen to react, but ultimately, if it's a fault on the car, or a medical incident that caused him to crash, then this could have been any of us. I'd hate to think that in the stress of having lost control of my car, my horror at having hit pedestrians and any confusion from the accident should be exacerbated by the idea that it's absolutely the only sane option to drag me out of the car and pin me to the ground "just in case".

if he'd been a terrorist, going at the car would have been brave but foolhardy, if he's not, it would have been reckless and unpleasant - I get that other incidents mean that people are going to react, that fear is a very powerful stimulus to action - but I don't think it's right, and I don't think that necessarily makes me insane.

It shows the bravery of those people to start off with, but yes it's a bit foolish as if he was a terrorist he could of had anything on him. My point is not whether people should drag people out of cars, but whether people should then go on to start suing  people for injuries. Given the climate we live in and more so the actual location, I think an exception can be made. If it happened in say rugeley, or some other nowhere town, then people would be less inclined to drag a person out of the car. It's a tricky one, but I just have trouble with 'Suing them'  thing.

Edited by Rugeley Villa

5 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

It shows the bravery of those people to start off with, but yes it's a bit foolish as if he was a terrorist he could of had anything on him. My point is not whether people should drag people out of cars, but whether people should then go on to start suing  people for injuries. Given the climate we live in and more so the actual location, I think an exception can be made. If it happened in say rugeley, or some other nowhere town, then people would be less inclined to drag a person out of the car. It's a tricky one, but I just have trouble with 'Suing them'  thing.

I agree with you, I think that the climate we're in means that suing people isn't something that should be considered - it's quite easy to see how people will have mistaken this accident for something more sinister and I think you have to give them a pass on that. That said, it doesn't make it right and I don't think that pass should stretch to immunity from prosecution - if they'd broken his arm, then they should face consequences - thankfully, in so far as we know that's not the case here - but we can't allow the hysterical voices in our media to create a fear so great it encourages the law of the mob, it's just not a sensible way to go.

• Like 1

FWIW I see both sides of the argument but would they have dragged him out and restrained him if he wasn't brown?

If it comes out that he is completely innocent in all this which is looking likely then he has every right to complain IMO. I also don't want people thinking I don't give a flying wotsit about the others injured either as all victims of the thousands of RTA's that happen daily across the country deserve sympathy too. I'm just playing devils advocate with regards to the driver specifically.

Again, Its an awkward situation that is terrible for everyone involved. 

Edited by Ingram85

3 minutes ago, Ingram85 said:

FWIW I see both sides of the argument but would they have dragged him out and restrained him if he wasn't brown?

If it comes out that he is completely innocent in all this which is looking likely then he has every right to complain IMO. 

Again, Its an awkward situation that is terrible for everyone involved. 

Maybe they would or maybe they wouldn't, but it's not a discussion I'd like to enter into. Well hopefully he won't complain too much and realise why they did what they did. I know it's a dangerous game we are entering into, but I'd have an hard time dealing with it if he did.

• Like 1

Â