World Cup 2018: Russia

VILLAMARV

No-one has wondered why they haven't gone with the tennis tie-break ordering penalty shoot-out of 1-22-11-22-11-2 rather than the traditional 12-12-12-12-12 in this world cup?  Given that they've introduced VAR, they're clearly not afraid of innovation, and the tennis order has been proven to be a much more even (fairer) order on team 2.  It seems the impetus to bring this in across the board has cooled since it was briefly introduced a while back.  Maybe too many footballers* were too thick to take it on?

* don't @ me. Not all of them !!

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

49 minutes ago, BOF said:

No-one has wondered why they haven't gone with the tennis tie-break ordering penalty shoot-out of 1-22-11-22-11-2 rather than the traditional 12-12-12-12-12 in this world cup?  Given that they've introduced VAR, they're clearly not afraid of innovation, and the tennis order has been proven to be a much more even (fairer) order on team 2.  It seems the impetus to bring this in across the board has cooled since it was briefly introduced a while back.  Maybe too many footballers* were too thick to take it on?

* don't @ me. Not all of them !!

giphy.gif

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

I have no idea what all the above means. 

There was a recent penalty shootout system where Team A would take the first penalty as usual. Then Team B would take their first two penalties before Team A then takes their second penalty. It would then alternate in a way to even out the pressure of going second and potentially always playing catch up I guess. 

So as an example (let’s pretend it’s still 1994) -

Penalty 1 - Saunders

Penalty 2 - Tranmere player

Penalty 3 - Tranmere player

Penalty 4 - Teale

Penalty 5 - Fenton

Penalty 6 - Tranmere player

Penalty 7 - Tranmere player

Penalty 8 - Atkinson 

Penalty 9 - Ehiogu

Penalty 10 - Tranmere player

Not quite sure what happens in the sudden death bit, but I imagine Kevin Richardson still successfully manages to launch his penalty to the furthest reaches of the solar system.

19 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Nah, don't like it. 

Basically in the current penalty system, all going to plan, team A are always in front, so team B are always playing catch-up.  Thus the pressure dynamic is loaded in favour of team A and statistically team A wins quite a lot more often than team B does.

In the tennis system, the 2 teams take turns at being in the lead, so the pressure is split evenly.  So; again; "all going to plan", the scoring goes as follows
Team A : 1-0
Team B : 1-1
Team B : 1-2
Team A : 2-2
Team A : 3-2
Team B : 3-3
Team B : 3-4
Team A : 4-4
Team A : 5-4
Team B : 5-5

• Like 2

It’s much fairer. 

I dont remember the exact number but team A wins penalty shootouts a lot more than team B. It’s clearly an advantage to shoot first. 

A few stats around penalty shootouts, from the beeb -

The side that wins the coin toss and decides to go first has an important advantage, with teams going first having triumphed 60% of the time. 

Researchers from the London School of Economics blamed the psychological pressure of 'lagging behind' for affecting performance.

Teams going second in World Cup penalty shootouts have a 69% conversion rate, whereas the team going first have a 73% record.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.bbc.co.uk/sport/amp/football/44641247

Don't beat yourself up, amount of people who post the American version on social media is staggering. Up there with Kieran Clarke certainly.

Was on a ground tour of VP years ago and under Angel's name on the international caps board it was spelt Columbia!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Â