World Cup 2018: Russia

VILLAMARV

2 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Also, VAR doesn't replace the officials.  It's an additional official, reviewing incidents on a screen.  Technological advancements and all that.

If you are explicitly telling the linesman to avoid doing his job in the case of tight calls (which is what they're doing here), then you are replacing him (with VAR) for tight calls.  It's mission creep.  It's not what it was brought in for.  Yes correct calls etc etc.   Then don't have a linesman at all.

• Like 3

Just now, BOF said:

If you are explicitly telling the linesman to avoid doing his job in the case of tight calls (which is what they're doing here), then you are replacing him (with VAR) for tight calls.  It's mission creep.  It's not what it was brought in for.  Yes correct calls etc etc.   Then don't have a linesman at all.

Bringing in an additional referee isn't replacing others, though.  A linesman does more than simply make offside decisions, so you're not removing the use of that role.

I see 0% downside to letting the linesman focus on other infringements that may be happening rather than close offside calls that can be more easily analysed on a screen by someone else.

But, hey, I quite like change ;) 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bobzy said:

I see 0% downside to letting the linesman focus on other infringements that may be happening rather than close offside calls that can be more easily analysed on a screen by someone else.

Trimming it down to what we're actually talking about ;) ... getting the linesman to 'focus on other infringements that may be happening rather than close offside calls' is literally replacing him 'for close offside calls'.  In other words 'you don't do those any more' (subtext : because you're shit at them).  That's all I was saying.  If that's the way they want to go with the game then fine. But it's literally what FIFA were afraid of, it's not what it was brought in for and it's why they took so long yielding to the technology.  It's mission creep.  

Whether you or I think it's right or wrong is neither here nor there.

I also look forward to the inevitably clunky implementation of it, and Garth Crooks.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Davkaus said:

Crazy bastard

So the Barca / atleti players thing goes out the window especially with them putting hierro in charge

rubiales has been in charge for a month, claims it principle, not because he's done it but because of the way it was announced

portugal in 2 days, this could shape that entire half of the draw

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2018/jun/14/dont-have-sex-with-men-from-different-race-during-world-cup-warns-russian-politician

Russian women should avoid sex with non-white foreign men during the football World Cup because they could become single mothers to mixed-race children, a senior lawmaker in Moscow said on Wednesday.

Even when Russian women marry foreigners the relationships often end badly, said Tamara Pletnyova, head of parliament’s committee for families, women and children. Women are often stranded abroad or in Russia but unable to get their children back, she said.

Image result for seinfeld leave gif

• Haha 4

Grown Man Needs Neymar Jr. If Anyone Has Him

Neymar-pannini-e1528813217214.jpg

LOCAL adult Peter Wishan has posted a plea on his social media feeds this morning urging anyone with a spare Neymar Jr. Panini World Cup 2018 sticker to come forward, adding that he has ‘loads of doubles for swopsies’.

Wishan, pushing 40, needs only the elusive Brazilian forward to complete his World Cup album, after investing the month’s gas bill money in packs of stickers over the last fortnight to the chagrin of his long-suffering wife Mairead, who is currently fed up with the amount of time her husband has devoted to the cause.

Having spent the entirety of his youth moping over half-finished collections that his Mam would not give him money to help complete, Wishan has tackled the latest World Cup album with a determination that has pretty much sucked all the fun out of the process, and has banned his 7-year-old son from touching his collection as it ‘might disrupt his system’.

“I’ll never forget having that Italia ’90 collection without one full squad completed in the whole album,” said Wisham, buying more packs of stickers from his local newsagents, just none from the top of the pile.

“Not this time. This time, I have a job. I have money. I have responsibilities, sure, but they can wait for a month or two. This time, I’m completing this god damn Panini album if it puts the entire family out on the street”.

Although a service is offered by Panini to buy specific stickers directly from the website at a cost of 25c each, Wisham has stated that he will not be doing this as he considers it ‘cheating’.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, A'Villan said:

Looking forward to Spain v Portugal, biggest game of the weekend.

be shocked if see any football in that game. they are usually dull, boring and tight games when play at tournaments

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Â